Model Cars Magazine Forum

Alaska State Troopers Dio......updated 04/30/12

1320wayne

I had originally started to showcase this build in a community build for emergency vehicles but it has kind of gone stagnant and I haven't been any help to it overall but since I am finally getting back to this and have made some new progress I am moving this to the dio. section.

This will be my second full blown diorama project.

The scene will basically depict an outdoors scene from the Alaska wilderness with a police Explorer k-9 unit on the hunt for an escaped criminal. There will be plenty of trees, rocks, foliage and wildlife.

Here is where I am at so far.

DSC08915-vi.jpg

DSC08943-vi.jpg

DSC08942-vi.jpg

And one of the many trees that will be added is a custom unit that I purchased off Ebay with an Eagles nest on the top.

DSC08040-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne

You are moving at a good clip on this one. I like the layout of it. For some reason I thought it'd be set in the snow, but then again eagles wouldn't be nesting in the snow.

Keep it going, chap.

Virgil, I'm still undecided about which season this will be set in. I have a Moose and an Elk with full antlers so I have to please the bean counters that would question which time of year this is set in. The nest is for effect and doesn't neccessarily mean that it should be spring time mating season. I'm leaning towards Springtime or Fall before any major snowfall.

This looks good. Where did you get the dogs from?

The one jumping from the truck came from a set bought at Toy R Us called Tube of Dogs. The one sitting came with the prepainted officer and I believe it's from a company called Phoenix.

O.K., so I laid out the plaster and body filler for the basic terrain and muddied road. I also did a quickie, light spray paint of the separation from road to ground just to get the basic effect of what it will look like once the grass and turf and muddy effects are added.

DSC00006-vi.jpg

DSC00007-vi.jpg

Here is some more to update. Moving right along with getting the basic scene laid out. I was able to pour some rocks in resin using Woodlands Scenics rock molds. And I am finally starting to insert and lay out where the trees will go. I was able to notch the front right corner for the dead tree with the Eagles nest. And I have mocked up where the vehicle, people/dogs and assorted wildlife will be placed. More to follow soon.

DSC00014-vi.jpg

DSC00015-vi.jpg

DSC00017-vi.jpg

DSC00018-vi.jpg

So, more progress done. The scene is finally starting to come together and look like something. The vehicle is still not completed and only placed in the diorama for the sake of these pictures. Still some work left on it including the proper weathering.

The turf is almost complete. I have to build it up in layers in some areas as a wilderness scene shouldn't have what appears to be nicely manicured lawn. All of the tress are in place along with the rocks which have been painted and weathered. The dirt road is done and weathered and tinted in different earth shades. The elk is also permanently attached.

With any luck this one will be done within another week or so.

DSC00029-vi.jpg

DSC00030-vi.jpg

DSC00031-vi.jpg

DSC00032-vi.jpg

DSC00033-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne

I think the cop should get a new dog if it can't figure out that the fugitive and the Elk are so close! Lost his sense of smell?

Just kiddin' LOL. Still think the dio is great!

Tony

It could be the cop that has the problem as these dogs are supposed to be well trained and obey commands from their handler. Maybe all of those cold Alaska winters has number his senses.

And, the guy hiding will eventually have a bright orange jumpsuit on that says corrections on the back. That should also help with the story line.