Model Cars Magazine Forum

FULL BUILD REVIEW: 1/12 Revell Shelby Mustang GT500

Will there not be upgrades for this car as well? On another note....I guess my skills (of what I do have) will be challenged to make this look close to a real car. Poor me I cant get $100+ kits I have to stick with these. Im not complaining about the level of detail.

O and btw if you want to compare revell to pocher and tamiya on their level of "detail" then you will be comparing apples and oranges, as far as I know revell caters to the average builder as to where tamiya is more advanced in some cases, and pocher for the advanced, as well deep pockets.

Exactly, Chuck. And, I'll go back to the point I made in the other thread (or maybe it was in this one; I've lost track) ... the last newly-tooled 1/12 scale automotive kit prior to this one was the Trumpeter GT-40. It had a lot of those "bells and whistles" you mentioned. List price: $250.

Now comes this Shelby kit, sans bells and whistles. List price: $69.95.

That $180 price differential will buy you a hell of a lot of bells and whistles! ;)

And here's the funny bit: Scale Motorsport is evidently planning a detail kit for this one - after judging the Trumpeter kit too "toy-like" for such a treatment...

I made this same observation on page 1, post #19:

I'd be very surprised if Matthew did an upgrade kit for this after having passed on the GT 40. This seems nicely molded but as 'toy-like' as he considered the GT.

And yes, I built the GT 40 but will not buy this 'GT500'.

Well, guess it depends on what constitutes "toy-like" then, doesn't it?

If simplified parts that at least look like their prototypes count as toy-like, then yeah, Matthew may not go here.

But if missing distributors, blocky tires, and out-of-scale heim joints are more the SMS "toy-like" criteria, then yes, the GT500 may have a shot.

The GT-40 was a moon shot that landed a bit short. This GT500 looks every bit the solid line drive the manufacturer intended.

Paradox though it may be, since Revell aimed lower, there's likely less for SMS to totally overhaul - therefore making a detail kit more feasible.

Paradox though it may be, since Revell aimed lower, there's likely less for SMS to totally overhaul - therefore making a detail kit more feasible.

I hope the detail kit includes valve stems... :rolleyes:

I know, I know... I'm being picky and had "unrealistic" expectations of this kit... :rolleyes::lol:

Actually, for all my carping about the lack of detail and parts count on this kit (which I am serious about), I suppose the kit plus a reasonably well done detail set (that makes up for where Revell obviously cut corners) could still come in south of $100 if I can find a deal on the kit. Aside from the fact that I'll have to do a lot of stuff myself that I think Revell should have done in the first place, not a bad deal overall.

If the detail set lives up to my expectations I just may give this kit a shot.

But if missing distributors, blocky tires, and out-of-scale heim joints are more the SMS "toy-like" criteria, then yes, the GT500 may have a shot.

Yes Chuck, these and others were the bain of the 40. But I learned that Trump compromised the most where they felt things would not be seen-the tires being the big exception. Since they 'engineered ' a crappy tilt mechanism for the nose, the whole front suspension goes away (unless you scratch a permanently open tilt nose). The rear suspension and bogus throttle linkage is a scale horror and mostly seen. But no coil and dizzy go largely unnoticed. The cockpit is mostly well done and highly visible.

Revell however has all the compromises in plain sight although everything seems in scale and accurately molded. Given that an advanced modeler might open doors and trunk, SMS could do things like mirrors, scale hinges, trunk contents, PE wipers, F&R suspensions, coil packs, engine hoses and detail, etc....Don't think it would be under $100 though.

When can I get one??? :)

I am still glad Revell stuck with the less detail/lower price direction. The subject is right, the box art is impressive, it looks as though it will build into an impressive display piece without too much fiddling, and I think this has the potential to bring alot of people who would never build a model car into the hobby. The average Ford/Mustang guy, even though there might little interest in the hobby, by just looking at the box art and it`s impressive size and might decide to give our hobby a try. If it builds nicely, he may be hooked, and we have a new recruit. B) However, fiddling with a couple hundred parts, trying to get doors to line up just right, and painting 20 body panels instead of several, may result in losing that person and maybe another generation or two to the hobby forever.

Oh yeah....when can I get one??? :D:P

Well after a few nights of polishing with my arms almost falling off I got the paint very smooth. Then I applied the decal stripes. Be careful with them! They are thin, stick very easy and dont work really well with micro sol. But they hardly bleed at all. I used them for the sake of the review so everyone can see how they look. The 1:1 stripes are vinyl so using the decals is correct. But, painted stripes would also look very nice.

P1010682-vi.jpg

P1010684-vi.jpg

P1010683-vi.jpg

P1010685-vi.jpg

I painted the chassis grey and fogged in some Grabber blue basecoat.

P1010686-vi.jpg

under spray looks ok, but I've worked on the real 2011 Shelby and they dont have the underspray on them like they did in the old days.

Well I have not worked on a real shelby unfortunately so I went with my gut instinct and will continue to do so.

Lets look at an update of this controversial kit judging by the various opinions shall we?

Well I got the engine painted and detailed. despite its simplicity, it looks incredibly accurate! Revell gives yu some key decals to enhance the simple engine to give it more realism and dimension.

I painted the block with Tamiya TS-30 Silverleaf. The supercharger and valve covers were painted with Tamiya Semi gloss black. Exhaust and intake were shot with metallizer titanium. Various acrylics were used for detail painting and washes.

P1010708-vi.jpg

P1010709-vi.jpg

P1010710-vi.jpg

P1010711-vi.jpg

just to get an idea of the size here is the engine next to a NASCAR project I am working on. :)

P1010712-vi.jpg

I let Ed Sexton at Revell know that the red decal on the sheet for the top edge of the spoiler incorrect. They must have thought that

was a 3rd brake light. It is actually an adjustable "Gurney flap" on the 1:1 car. I cut out a piece of Studio 27 Hi Def 1/12 CF decal and applied it over the red decal that was there. Is it CF on the real car? Probably not but it looks cool!!

All the lower rear quarter, rockers, and front splitter have been painted semi gloss black.

P1010705-vi.jpg

P1010707-vi.jpg

P1010706-vi.jpg

Now its interior and chassis time!

under spray looks ok, but I've worked on the real 2011 Shelby and they dont have the underspray on them like they did in the old days.

What are they like? Im working on a 2008 GT500KR right now and I was about to do the same thing.

Man this is looking sweet as hell!

Youv'e done an excellent job of making the belts look like they are seperate from the pulleys, in fact I'm not even sure their not.

I just don't understand why anyone could bitch about this kit after seeing your build.

Steve

Your photography alone makes this thread a must read. :wub: Thanks for your review so far.

All I see is what I liked about the Monogram 1/12 '69 Camaro Z/28 kit- accurate parts, which, when assembled together as a completed model, look much like the 1:1 car.

I can't wait to get my hands on one of these kits and finish the custom wheels I have planned. ;)

Thank you for that reference photo.....I will make the necessary corrections on my build.

DaveT

Yes, Dave, but careful - that car was finished to be shown off on a rotisserie, and that painted rear axle, for example, might not be indicative of most 2nd-gen 197 Mustangs - google "GT500 Rusty Butt" and you'll see what I mean. You may score a few more ref shots, too.

Gorgeous work, btw.

B)

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

Great job so far Dave. I told myself I would wait to see how your build turned out before I decided to buy or not to buy. I'm leaning towards "buy".

I realize you're doing this as a review but for anyone wanting to build one for themselves, the engine with just a few extra wires and hoses would look great.

Yes, Dave, but careful - that car was finished to be shown off on a rotisserie, and that painted rear axle, for example, might not be indicative of most 2nd-gen 197 Mustangs - google "GT500 Rusty Butt" and you'll see what I mean. You may score a few more ref shots, too.

Gorgeous work, btw.

B)

Nope, that is a factory stock Boss 302 I've personally been underneath aone and that is what it looks like

Point absolutely taken, Darin. Instead of being so definitive, what I should have said is that the photo car has every hallmark of being finished for rotisserie display, just like preview 3.7 and 5.0 car show Mustangs seen with black axles. I have no way to deny that Boss 302s come finished that exact way from the factory.

But back to my main point, which is not so easily refuted: Dave's original approach to the chassis was looking nice enough imho, but since he's going to take the trouble to refinish it for correctness, that Boss shot might not be representive.

You've been under a Boss. Here's a shot I took this morning of the 2011 GT I live with and drive every day:

DSCN0640-vi.jpg

Gotta look hard at the contrast between the roll bar or diff cover and the axle to make out the latter's natural finish, but the rust at the pumpkin webbing and the shock mounts is unmistakable. And it's just that sort of thing GT500 owners have posted about in forum threads like these:

http://www.teamshelb...hat-rusty-butt/

http://www.stangmafi...k-stripes-4217/

The facts are a little clearer in this 2010 Shelby shot taken from the stangmafia link right above:

2010GT500010.jpg

Now in fairness, you might finish the Revell kit to represent the ride of an owner who had his axle painted. But it looks by and large as if those stick axles mostly come in a natural finish from the factory.

I though that the main flap with the Shelby owners was that the 2010s came with the unpainted axle, while the 2011s came painted, ruffling up some very fragile feathers. After that, I'd think that Ford painted all of the axles, but I don't know for sure. For this build of a 2010 model, natural steel tubes and cast finish center section is correct, and a tiny bit of flash rust, as pictured above, represents a new car on the lot and would be a nice touch.

-MJS