Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Ford Galaxie 500 reissue : I added Factory Reference Material

migace

John I was stationed at MCAS Yuma in the mid-late 70's. I had picked up a cherry '76 RoadRunner in Orange just prior to the move. The car had a 360, 2000+ original miles, and should have moved out quite well. It was however a Cali CARB certified POS. I have to say it was one of the slowest cars I ever owned.

G

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, apart of the 1970 Ford, are there any old police cars available? There is a 1978 Dodge 4door thanks to Dukes of Hazzard. Would it be possible to build that car with decals and equipment from 1970 Ford Interceptor, or is that car too new for that equipment? I have also seen 1968 Plymouth Fury by Jo-Han, but I think that 75usd for a plastic car is little too much. Any idea if there is a chance of reissue? Or any other suggestions?

It depends on how old you are looking for. Lindberg makes a 1996/7 Crown Victoria police car, they are very outdated here in Michigan. They can be bought very cheap for a model these days.

Johan is pretty much out of business, they won't be releasing the 1968 again.

So, apart of the 1970 Ford, are there any old police cars available? There is a 1978 Dodge 4door thanks to Dukes of Hazzard. Would it be possible to build that car with decals and equipment from 1970 Ford Interceptor, or is that car too new for that equipment? I have also seen 1968 Plymouth Fury by Jo-Han, but I think that 75usd for a plastic car is little too much. Any idea if there is a chance of reissue? Or any other suggestions?

I would think that most, if not all of the 1970 Ford police parts would look ok in the 1978 dukes of hazard police car.

I got a few days ago the Missing Link Co. 1978 Ford LTD four door resin transkit wich use the AMT/ reissues 1970 Ford Interceptor for chassis,engine and police equipment. Very nice kit and of a body style I always liked very much, highly recomend this resin kit and Kevin at Missing Link is a great guy to deal with.

Ok, thanks for the current insight, lets clear some things out:

- I am looking for police cars from the 70's, the golden era of car chase movies (like 1972 Polara from Dirty Mary Crazy Larry or 1970 Coronet 440 from Gone in 60 seconds, Vanishing Point) and I was quite amazed that these iconic cars are nowhere to be found even as resins, so I thought why bother with resins and stick with the original cars that are available for the beginning. So that's a no to those 1994 Crown Victorias.

- yes, I kind of found out that Jo-Han is out of bussines, but I assume that the molds still exist. I do not fully understand the ownership behind round2models, but couldn't they purchase the molds or rights to release few sets unter their brand?

- is there any way how could we (the modellers) convince the resin makers to make a certain car? I have seen many "Vanishing Point" Challengers, so is it just me who would like to build authentic police cars to acompany it?

- The three existing model kits from the era you want are the JoHan '68 Dodge (which would have still been used into the early 70's), the '70 Ford and '78 Dodge Monaco. That's it. End of Story. Modelhaus offers a resin '70 Coronet 4 door which is $60 for the partial and $92 for the complete kit.

- The molds for the '68 Dodge are questionable, and probably are not complete. There were a lot of plans for these kits when Oakey bought everything, but in the end all of the "new" JoHan kits were just old stock parts with vacuformed clear windows and a newly done decal sheet. The instruction sheet makes reference to the fact the molds were not complete when Oakey got them, so it's probably Slim to None that you'll ever see them again with Slim having left town.

- The short answer is No. While you might be able to "convince" someone to cast something in resin if you can prove the item would be profitable, which might require you to buy an entire "run" of them to guarantee said profit. But that goes into another kettle of fish. Who's going to build the "Master" kit that the resin copies would be copied from? People like Modelhaus, Missing Link, Motor City Resin Casters, and others have been producing resin kits that are borderline (if not in some cases better) model kit quality. That makes that master model have to be borderline perfect to begin with so that the copies will be of high quality.

Thanks for the 1970 Coronet tip, I didn't know about that one. But it comes even more expensive the the originally mentioned Jo-Han Fury.

In my opinion, we are soon about to experience a new era of resin modeling - you just take pictures of the body with a 3D camera, make a computer model, cut off the unnecessary parts and voila, the body comes right out of a 3D printer. You just polish it a little (or not even that, in case the printer is really good) and you can start making resin copies right away.

I got a few days ago the Missing Link Co. 1978 Ford LTD four door resin transkit wich use the AMT/ reissues 1970 Ford Interceptor for chassis,engine and police equipment. Very nice kit and of a body style I always liked very much, highly recomend this resin kit and Kevin at Missing Link is a great guy to deal with.

It's very nice...as is the Missing Link '71 Galaxie 4dr and '75/76 Fury. Other available resin kits that would make good '70s police builds are the Modelhaus '70 Coronet, '72 Ford Custom, and '75 Impala...all 4drs I have all of these, but plan to build them as stock sedans.

Edited by Rob Hall

Many times the Sargent would drive a Wagon version of the regular Cruisers.

Look at Adam-12. Mac drove the Wagon while Pete & Jim were in a sedan.

Though, LAPD used the Belvedere NOT Fury, Jo-HAn included LAPD decals in there kit.

I too wish Jo-Han still had possession of the Fury kit tooling, but most likely,as stated in

many emails & forums I have read, it was taken by former Seville employees and sold for Scrap to

make up for lost paychecks before Okey got the company.

• 5 years later...

I didn't even realize Round2 reissued this kit back in 2012, but it's one of very few four-door sedans available. Anybody know the backstory regarding how this kit ever got approved in the first place? I'm sure a 4-door was a risky choice even back in the day, though it makes sense as a police car.

AMT7881970FordGalaxieInterceptor.thumb.jpg.e610d98c4bf0cc46f45add84d2630932.jpg

Includes a few doo-dads and geegaws, too:

5c08199ec050b_s-l1600(67).jpg.db75bf459b7df1a22c42609ccad16444.jpg

2 hours ago, Casey said:

I didn't even realize Round2 reissued this kit back in 2012, but it's one of very few four-door sedans available. Anybody know the backstory regarding how this kit ever got approved in the first place? I'm sure a 4-door was a risky choice even back in the day, though it makes sense as a police car.

AMT7881970FordGalaxieInterceptor.thumb.jpg.e610d98c4bf0cc46f45add84d2630932.jpg

Includes a few doo-dads and geegaws, too:

5c08199ec050b_s-l1600(67).jpg.db75bf459b7df1a22c42609ccad16444.jpg

I missed out on it then... Hope they put it out again

Actually it started as the 1970 Ford LTD 4 door hardtop promo,  then it was part of the Motor City Stocker Series.  It wasn't much of a stretch to rework it into the Galaxie Sedan.  It's not 100% correct as still has LTD roof profile.  I recall AMT's choice of engine and trans being questionable too.   Why Ford wanted that particular promo done is the real mystery here. 

-Steve

70 Promo.jpg

70ltd_box-thumb-400x266-31434.jpg

2 hours ago, SteveG said:

Actually it started as the 1970 Ford LTD 4 door hardtop promo,  then it was part of the Motor City Stocker Series.  It wasn't much of a stretch to rework it into the Galaxie Sedan.  It's not 100% correct as still has LTD roof profile.  I recall AMT's choice of engine and trans being questionable too.   Why Ford wanted that particular promo done is the real mystery here. 

-Steve

70 Promo.jpg

Maybe it was done for handing out to prospective buyers out there, like Law Enforcement equipment buyers. 

23 hours ago, Motor City said:

The original AMT model should have been a '70 XL.  Why they chose a LTD still seems odd to me.

Normally the manufacturer, in this case Ford, made the decision of what was produced as a promo model. With where sales were going with the Ford XL vs. their LTD in the late 60's, makes sense to me. It's sad that they didn't offer a '70 XL. But, I understand it. 

Smart move by AMT to convert their LTD to a Galaxie, when the '70 model year was over. They were on a big push with their new American-Lafrance fire trucks. Converting their LTD into a Galaxie companion police car. And adding fire department equipment to their '70 Impala and new Chevy Van kits. 

A couple of years back, after the Round 2 reissue of the Galaxie, I bought the parts from Modelhaus to convert one of the kits back to the LTD. Since the roof line in really only correct for the 4-door hardtop, I trimmed away the window frames. No corrections were needed to the interior, since AMT did nothing to it when they converted it to the Galaxie. 

Edited by unclescott58

• 1 year later...
On 2/7/2020 at 12:20 PM, Casey said:
AMT-1172 1/25 James Bond 1970 Ford Galaxie Police Car

Wait, what...JAMES BOND '70 Galaxie Police Car?  A tie-in to "Diamonds Are Forever?"

Does Round 2 now have a Bond license to...never mind.  If they do, maybe we can expect the Goldfinger '65 Mustang convertible or Felix Leiter T-Bird.  Though I'd rather have Oddjob's Ranchero with optional squashed Lincoln cube.  

Or how about any car from "Man With the Golden Gun," where AMC had the product placement contract?  The possibilities are endless...