Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Petty Nascar

I just got mine the other day and started getting all the flash off of everything in between messing with my other projects.

When I do the car though, I am not some NASCAR purist and hate orange so mine will be all blue.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how others do their kits too....

I picked up 2 vintage kits from a fellow "FAST" club member (at a great price, thanks Mark)....the boxes are trashed and most of the decals aren't any good. However, both are complete with parts in bags.

One is the Petty car with clear "ghost" body and the other is the Buddy Baker version with a reddish orange body.

I have far too many other projects to fool with them now but neither will be built as a "Nascar" Charger.

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

Mikes Decals is working up a stunning set of replacement decals for these kits: http://www.randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?t=76910

Vince, If you are planning the 1973 Charger I can post you a few pics...actually any year Petty Charger, just keep in mind the HEMI engine is only accurate for the 1972-3 cars.

Micheal- The STP color on Petty cars is red neon not orange. This is a common misconception due to many late race and post race photos. The neon will fade in a day, but there are many acceptable bright reds that could be used.

Don- I can't bear the thought of those two vintage kits not being built as NASCAR's. :(

Kevin, you wrote:

"Don- I can't bear the thought of those two vintage kits not being built as NASCAR's."

I can tell you this much, one of them will be built as a Daytona Charger with upgraded underpinnings, swing set and all. Probably a couple of turbos feeding the Hemi but street legal.

The other.....I have no idea what it want's to be........maybe a mini diorama of a Nascar that kissed the wall, not a total wreck, just run hard showing some serious wear & tear.

As long as you realise I was just yankin your chain. :DBut while we're at it might I make a suggestion? Since you want one to be a Daytona, why not start with a GL kit? If you can hold out till the end of the month i'd be willing to trade two GL's for the Baker kit. (just a suggestion)

Edited by MAGNUM4342

As long as you realise I was just yankin your chain. :DBut while we're at it might I make a suggestion? Since you want one to be a Daytona, why not start with a GL kit? If you can hold out till the end of the month i'd be willing to trade two GL's for the Baker kit. (just a suggestion)

I'm in no hurry Kevin, hook up with me (PM) when you get the time.....maybe even that butt ugly 1/16 street Charger, we'll work something out.

I'm sure looking forward to getting some of those decals!

Kevin,

I know it's red but it's close enough to orange for me :)

I'm still gonna do mine all blue.

Do you have a link for those pictures?

I'd like some additional reference material as well...

• 2 years later...