Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '55 Chevy

Bought the Revell '55 Chevy kit the other day (H-1392, believe it's a 1978/79 issue ) from a collector downsizing his huge stash. Box art shows a nice, sunshine-yellow model (with some missing side-spear detail at the rear), looked nice.

However, when I opened the box - OMG!!!!! The body, interior, and a ton of parts were molded in the ugliest, mustard-yellow color I can imagine. Not sure what they were thinking with that color, there's NO WAY it will stay like that. It would build up into one of the most disgusting models imaginable.

But, of course, I HAD to have it, it's a '55 Chev after all !!

Adding to my stash, while getting nothing built..............maybe, someday, when I'm old & grey, I will get around to actually BUILDING something.

Maybe. :unsure:

Well if that is the kit I am thinking about, not a good kit to today standers. But with some care and time builds up to an good looking kit. Now the chrome side trim is great and other pieces in this kit are great. I have built a few of these over the 35 years. By the way where are you from in Canada.

However, when I opened the box - OMG!!!!! The body, interior, and a ton of parts were molded in the ugliest, mustard-yellow color I can imagine. Not sure what they were thinking with that color, there's NO WAY it will stay like that. It would build up into one of the most disgusting models imaginable.

One of the later '56 Cheves was molded in "Pink" !Revell%20H1391%2056Chev.JPG not sure which one. :P

Revell%20H1392%2055Chev.JPG ?? if so, classic Revell "Fiddley" " Opening doors, trunk, hood,possable steering, rear windows go up and down good luck.From their first time out classic. Revell_55chevy%20copy.jpg Take your time , have fun. You can do it.

Yes, it's the California Classics - looks OK on the box, but the actual color is horrible (at least to my eyes...). Anyway, good advice - "take my time, have fun". First order of business will be to get rid of the mustard, then maybe I can enjoy the build!! :unsure:

You can finish it in India Ivory/Harvest Gold combination. A very nice combination IMHO

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Archive/Event/Item/1955-CHEVROLET-BEL-AIR-2-DOOR-HARDTOP-43962

Or if you cannot stand that kit at all, Revell released a new Bel Air HT version a couple of years ago.

http://www.revell.com/model-kits/cars/85-4295.html#.VP2Z6deSFI8

Edited by khier

@ Walid - I agree, the India Ivory/Harvest Gold combination works very well for this car. Not so sure about the interior color, but thanks for sending the link, gives me some 1:1 detail for the build.

@Howard - yes, pearl yellow also sounds like a great idea. Will have to think on this a bit before starting.

Not so sure about the interior color, but thanks for sending the link, gives me some 1:1 detail for the build.

My pleasure. As for the interior colors you will not be making a horrible mistake if you apply shades of exterior colors for the interior. It is also safe to use antique gold for yellow cars. It is also helpful to sneak in the Die Cast world to have a live idea about color combintion in contrast to vague expressions like Harvest Gold, sea mist green,.... etc.

BUT if you want to be 100% correct and authentic check this:http://www.55-57chevys.com/. It shows green/beige

vinyl with straw pattern cloth for harvest gold/india ivory exterior. If you dig the reference section you will see sample colors and fabrics, and explanation of how this color scheme is applied.

http://www.swapmeetmodels.co.uk/danbury-mint-1955-chevrolet-convertible-cast-model-road-harvest-gold-india-ivory-1955-124th-scale-p-8638.html

Edited by khier

Thanks for the links, especially the 55-57 chevys one. Good info there.

I would like to do it in the coral/grey scheme ideally, but the kit isn't for a two-tone body (missing the chrome separator on the rear fender extending from the spear to the bumper, which is where the color changes). Guess some scratchbuilding would be in order....

Anyway, lots to think about with this one.

One of the later '56 Cheves was molded in "Pink" !Revell%20H1391%2056Chev.JPG not sure which one. :P

Haven't seen a '56 molded in pink, but I do have a couple of the "Skips Drive in" '57 hardtops (the same as the "new" Roth '57) that are molded in pink. There's also a metallic bronze. '57 Nomad, and the '56 Sedan with multiple trim options that is molded in metallic green.

Edited by horsepower

missing the chrome separator on the rear fender extending from the spear to the bumper, which is where the color changes). Guess some scratchbuilding would be in order....

For that you will need the new kit, or perhaps photo etch parts.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/model-car-garage-1955-bel-air-detail-set-for-rmx-plastic-model-vehicle-accessory-kit-1:25-scale-2069

'55 Chevy brouchure shows two tone paint scheme for the Bel Air similar to the box art.

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Chevrolet/1955_Chevrolet/1955_Chevrolet_Prestige_Brochure/1955%20Chevrolet%20Prestige-06-07.html

Personally I have never seen such a thing before, but perhaps the experts here can comment on this.

Edited by khier

Those photo etch parts are exactly what I will need. Thanks for the link.

Yes, the box art shows a two-tone car, but not a two-tone body - a subtle difference. I would ideally like to do the two-tone body, and the photo etch part is just what is required.

The look I'm aiming for (if I ever get around to building it) is:

http://www.autoglasscentral.com/imgs/1955_chevrolet_bel_air%2Bright_rear_view.jpg

where there is a difference in the body color at the rear bumper, more or less.

Fair question - guess I was just thinking of building what I have at the moment (just bought a bunch from a guy clearing out his closet), rather than getting even more. Not to mention that I wasn't aware there is a new kit. I don't follow the trade that closely, having just gotten back into building a short time ago.

But, having seen some pics of the new one, yes, it would be the better way to go for sure.