Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 312B2 1/12 Protar

This is going to be a challenge, Protar isn't very known for their sophisticated kits and on top of that, this kit is already started and in a poor condition.

I had to de-assemble the cockpit and engine, after that, I had to get rid of the terrible paintjob. Including the missed prep-work, all the sprue attachments were still there.

This is how the assembled cockpit looked like.

F312b2002.jpg

Most of it was glued with superglue

F312b2003.jpg

F312b2004.jpg

The engine didn't look much better.

F312b2005.jpg

Most horrible are those things on top of the intake-funnels.

F312b2006.jpg

F312b2007.jpg

I took a brave breath and started to dissasemble, which proofed difficult with all the superglue

F312b2008.jpg

Same story with the engine

F312b2009.jpg

And a giant leap in time to yesterday, after I finished a couple of projects, I could start on this project. This is part of a bulkhead, which lost the battle to superglue and needs to be restored. On the right is how it originally looked.

F312b2010.jpg

F312b2011.jpg

The shocks and rockerarms were poorly done as well, I took everything apart and gave them a bleechbath, they are still in the bleech, the chrome is very stubborn

F312b2012.jpg

F312b2013.jpg

The panel behind the cockpit; was also in bad shape, they just glued it on, with a lot of sinkmarks, didn't look pretty at all.

F312b2014.jpg

Bottem of cockpit, notice all that superglue

F312b2015.jpg

And a dry-fit, which proofed very usefull. The fit is very bad and a lot of shaving needs to be done to get it to fit nicely.

F312b2016.jpg

Good luck...this is a "turd" of a kit - fresh outa the box, let alone one that has already been played with! :angry:

looks as though you seem to have it under control though

Built it many years ago, will be watchin' you put it together

thanx for sharing

Yes, you can say that again. It is by far not a proper kit, but I do have to admit, it is well detailled. I think it is even overdetailled for the construction-possibilities they had back then, since it doesn't fit.

I am not sure I have it under control, I'll just go ahead and tackle the problems one by one, since there are way too many to deal at once haha.

Tough &...rare kit indeed, made it back in the early 80's...pretty tough, to get kit back then, here: (Protar kits where mostly unknowned 30+ years ago).

Compared to Tamiya's 312B, this later B2 is a real challenge to assemble fitting issues in every steps!!!+++ those "squarred" off Firestones! (get the Tamiya 312B ones... LOL)

Very Nice start, keep your patience &... spirit high, you'll get trough it :lol:

...Revell Germany should reissue this vintage Ferrari F1 beauty (with reetooled tires).

I have this kit as well. Bought it in the early 80's and was Gung - Ho about starting it untill I took a really long and hard look at it. She went right back in the box and was put in the back of the closet for later. Every year or so I take it out, have a look at it again and box it up and back in the closet. :( You have started on a long and hard row to hoe with this one my friend. But you seem to have it under control. Keep us posted with your updates.

I hear you guys, it is definately not a kit for the faint- hearted, but is doable. I also have the Ferrari 126C1, started a long time ago, but missing the motivation to build. Being able to build this one, I might get that little bit of motivation. Hope it works for you too!

And we struggle further. I have been working mostly on the engine and the bodypanels, especially the engine needs a lot of work to get cleaned up, getting complete and rebuild again. So far I am still in the process of getting all the parts sanded and ready for some paint.

Shown vaguely here are the parts coming from the engine. The covers for the valvecovers were too bad, so I am going to replace them with new ones.

f312b2019.jpg

Basically all these parts, except the exhaust, will be discarded and replaced, they are just too badly damaged.

f312b2020.jpg

And a jump to the bodypanels. I airbrushed them with Scuderia Red and then 2K glossed them. After it dried, I applied the dry-transfers. Which was a living nightmare, the dry-transfer bit wasn't working no more, so I had to find an alternative to get them on.

f312b2021.jpg

The sidepanels.

f312b2022.jpg

Edited by The Creative Explorer

Which was a living nightmare, the dry-transfer bit wasn't working no more, so I had to find an alternative to get them on.

f312b2021.jpg

The sidepanels.

f312b2022.jpg

So what was the fix for the dry transfers please Eric??

• 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...