Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Texaco Service Station

1955chevy

We are building a Texaco Service Station for the Shearwater Aviation Museum Model Car Contest

We are the Halifax Area Automotive Modellers.

This is it so far.

Station as planned

#1 service truck

#2 owner's drag car

#3 car getting gas

#4 static '47 Chev

#5 Car being repaired - should have hood up, air cleaner off, mechanic leaning over fender.

#6 Car being repaired - this one will be up on the hoist, with a mechanic underneath. Maybe getting new exhaust, or a brake job.

#7 Another car getting gas. Should have a driver as there was no self serve in 1968!

#8 static vehicle - I thought another drag car would be appropriate. The hood could be up/off with either someone working on it or a couple of people just looking.

#9 static vehicle - this could represent a worker's car

#10 car getting air in tire or on jack with one wheel off representing getting a tire fixed. Should have a figure doing the job.

servicestation.jpg

A few pics of the station - early.

StationWallsBareWest.jpg

StationWallsBareNorth.jpg

StationFloorandSidewalkPrimer.jpg

BobMacDonaldSign.jpg

StationWallsBareWestLow.jpg

StationIceMachine2.jpg

StationOfficeAreawithCandyMachine.jpg

StationGasPumpsBare.jpg

Uh Vaugn , ya'all realize those M R C pumps are exactly a scale foot too tall . Heres a picture of what a REAL Wayne #555 is supposed to look like :

SHOWPICS141.jpg

Heres a former "Teauge" style Texaco station too :

Amocoreadytogo033.jpg

Amocoreadytogo034.jpg

If you have further questions please let me know . I was the photographer for the book Check the Oil by Scott Anderson in 1983 Ed Shaver

I did not know that. Thank you for the advice - they are already painted and decalled.

I have a million questions. This is my first diorama and I learned a lot these past few months.

I want to do it right and accurate but I do not want to be too anal about it, if you know what I mean.

Plus I want it finished and I am under the gun for time.

Guest Johnny

You should stil be able to take it off the bottom without much trouble to bring it into scale! I believe it would be well woth the time and effort tohave it correct! B)

I am sorry I do not have any more pics of the tow truck.

The Texaco station was a club build, six members of the club

made models. I should have taken pics of all the models.

I will ask those modellers to bring their models to the next meeting.

I will take more pics and post them.

ok thank you.

• 2 months later...

Yep, from the bottom. In 1/24 scale, 1 actual millimeter is the equal of one scale inch, (& close to it in 1/25 scale, but that Texaco station is 1/24), so you need to remove 12 actual mm from the bottom.

BTW Ed, thanks for that info, as I'm working on my MRC Texaco station! :D

B)

Yeah, thanks from me too, I recently got the other version "Joe's service".... and I thought those gas pumps looked huge! Compared to what I'd bought some time before. A set of two pumps on a small island, cones and other stuff. But those pumps were replicas of 30's pumps. Guess they were more slender. I have some ideas to also build some gas station diorama, some day.....

Vaughn,

You and the other members of your club did and AWESOME job on that Texaco station!

All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!! I can only imagine the hours that you and your friends put into that diorama! A nice job and a lot of work. My hat is off to you all for your abilities and for seeing the project through. I too would like to see more pictures of the tow truck.. I'd love to do the same theme in a diorama but have the junk yard out back where the tow-ins are hauled in only to be abandoned by their owners who could not or would not pay the towing and storage. Every highway-side gas station has a fenced compound like that - don't they? :D