Model Cars Magazine Forum

Let's talk about your experiance with "Multi Piece Body Kits".

Revell's Volkswagen T2 Microbus.

Never. Again.

554694_399866686692415_8570701_n.jpg

And Revell's Mercedes truck.

Again. Never. Again.

562193_418733238139093_661860040_n.jpg

I managed to make them look half decent but God it didn't half take some amount of work.. and patience that I didn't have at the time.

Edited by Shelby 427 1965

I have a soft spot for the old Revell multi-piece '60 Corvette, reissued in a couple of different boxes.

h1203-60corvette.JPG

I prefer the proportions of the basic model to the 1-piece AMT bodies, and the multi-piece construction lends itself to radical custom work.

DSCN6216.jpg

The first car model I ever attempted was the multi-piece Revell '57 Ford wagon. I can't say I built it, as it was horrible when I 'finished' it, but I'd dearly love to find a virgin one to try again.

8315776199_f214455ff9_z.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The first one I remember really having any success with (bulid is long gone however) 1_c4beb8ddb66c5a5796c9b33ab16487f9.jpgSo right now I have a few each of the Corvette , Ranchero (chopped and stock) and the Austin Healey

lined up, and two of the '48's in the wings. :P

Edited by Greg Myers

These kits are much easier now that superglue is available.

I might have to agree with this. With an arsenal of glues and putties available, we're really just talking about a few more pieces, right? If the body fundamentally points you in the right direction, the rest is up to you.

LeftSideHighOpenHood.jpg

I have a few too. 59 Skyliner (At least 7), 57 Ranchero, 60 (59) Vette) re-tool of the VW 23 Window Samba Van

56 Merc, Ford, Caddy, Lincoln, & Chrysler 1/32's Stock & Custum of both Ford Convert & Chrysler.

Volvo F12 Globetrotter Semi tractor.

All Revell. Plus Italeri Iveco & Volvo DLK & "US" truck with Baywatch trailer.

And Revell boxed Italeri Ford AeroMax semi cab.

I have never had a problem with them. And if they are the Only kit of a specific car, I WILL buy them!!

Forgot both IMC/Testor's 48 Ford Coupe & Convert.

And a compilation of the 57 Squire built but needed to have major surgery.

I need to replace the engine bay area. The joint along the fender top on one side

keeps separating.

The detail ridge there was filed/sanded down with all the body work repairing that

separation/joint line.

I was going to use an AMT Fairlane500 for that area, but might wait an look at the Revell Custom.

Ugh,Normally I try to avoid multi-piece bodies like the plague.

But I have built a few. The 59 Ford retractable wasn't too bad,and the top actually worked.

Right now,I have an old Pyro VW Beetle half assembled-for the past 2 years. And the Lincoln Futura. Not sure if that will ever get built.

You know,looking at the first pictures of the ancient hot rods- I have never built one of those. I might try an straight out of the box build one of these days.

The only 1/24/25 scale plastic kit I've ever built with a multi-piece body is the '59 Skyliner, and I had no problem at all. After all, all of the parts of a model kit have to be glued together. So why should a body that has to be glued together be such a big deal?

skyliner2.jpg

skyliner1.jpg

And like John said... the top really works! :D

Except for the Spot-lights, that looks like a Box art build for the "Skip's Fiesta" series

issue of that kit. Nice.

Here is one of mine of that issue;

Coral-Skyliner-Rr.jpg

And another getting a Different build!

Balt-PD-Rs.jpg

I need to get back to work on these!!

And I have been reminded me of another started. The Lincoln Futura. And I have the Pontiac Club De Mer

Plus a few Pyro/Life-Like/Lindberg "1/32" scale kits 57 Chevy convert, & various 32-40 Fords & Chevy's

Edited by Edsel-Dan