Model Cars Magazine Forum

Are rally drivers the best in the world?

.... and Moss says Fangio was the greatest. I agree.

JMF won his first world championship when he was 40 years old, mainly due to WW2 and the general difficulties of getting into the big-time as an Argentinian, and won 4 more after that, against Moss, Ascari, Hawthorn, Farina and many more top class drivers. And he remained utterly modest and a great sportsman. But it's great to hear everyone else's favourites - they were all masters of their chosen field.

It all comes down to personal opinion really, personally I think Peter Brock was a better driver than Stirling Moss, Brock won rally cross races, Around Australia Rally, 9 times Bathurst winner and plenty more. Won Bathurst in 1979 by 6 laps, led every lap of the race and to show how strong the car was set a new lap record on the last lap.

Top Fuel pilots have to be good steerers too and rally drivers.....well they're a special breed of crazy.

Brocks last two laps in '79, the last lap is legendary.

Glen Seton in the rain at Bathurst 1987, sideways at 200+kph at the 1:20 mark, than from 2:20 onwards watch this for driver skill.

And for anyone that's never seen Bathurst here's Daryl Waltrips lap around there. :)

Edited by checkmate

Maybe the best at their discipline as other drivers are at their own. It is truly mixing apples and oranges so to speak, they all race under and in differing conditions. I've heard the same gripe for years, the Drag Racers only go straight, NASCAR and Oval Racers only turn left... For early every form of racing there's always someone who pipes up with a yes but argument that one form does more and better than the other. Yes but how fast have you gone and not crashed. Yes but how fast can you go and turn left. Yes but how fast can you go on dirt and turn left. Yes but how fast can you go and turn right and left. How fast can you go throughout the desert flying through the air half the time. Yes. But how fast can you go on two wheels. What about ice racers. Formula One. Kart. Go Karts. Funny Cars. Sprint Cars..... Salt Flats.... Pinewood Derby...Blah.... Blah..... They all have some sort of talent or they wouldn't be there.

As previously stated, I think "Best" would be a tough call, because there is no beast car, or best road, or best this that or the other, because the answer depends on situation. One car may handle in corners better, another may have more straight line speed, another gets better mileage, etc etc Same for drivers. The thing that amazes me is just how close these guys can run times. These drivers immensely skilled at what they do, and I would say on average more well rounded drivers, and they are certainly testicularly fortified.

If I had the money, the guts, the skill, I would love to do some road racing. Eric Bana the actor took a car from his teenage years and built a road racer, and they did a nicer little documentary for it. It was a nice ride without being high end uber skilled driver owned, it was called "Love the Beast"

During it most extreme era what is known as the Group B era Rally cars were insanely fast and powerful. It was only after several drivers and spectators were killed in a series of accidents that they stepped back from the edge and outlawed these cars.

Wow, some incredible videos. Are rally drivers the best in the world? Probably so. Over the last couple of years I've pondered who is currently the best driver in the world in all of motorsports, my vote goes to Sebastien Loeb, followed by Scott Pruett and Sebastian Vettel, massive 'driving' skills in those three. Ya, you can make the argument that every form of racing requires it's own special skills, but , which form(s) of racing requires the 'most' skills? Rally wins hands down to me. In the end though I just love motorsports period, that's my take. Ladies and gentelmen, start your engines!

Edited by Speedfreak

When rally drivers get it right, it's spectacular!

When rally drivers get it wrong, it's usually spectacular too, but for the wrong reasons.

It takes a certain (mind)set to drive on the edge like that. Don't know about the drivers being the best, but they definitely take the highest risk.

Rally cars only do 120 mph? Heck, back in '67 I had talked to Dan Gurney. and in the Grand Prix races he would hafta slow down to 180 mph to adjust his seat belt. I would think that the Formula I drivers are among the best in the world.

They do 120mph, on a cobblestone street.. i saw it with my own eyes at World Rally Mexico.

These aren't even prepared tracks.. these cars are driving on someone's farm driveway.. and i mean that literally.

And they do it in the rain, snow, ice, in a foot of water.. whatever.

There have been two F1 drivers, one a world champion who tried to hack it in Rally, and neither of them have been any good.

Now i don't know if that means they are the best in the world.. but when you take a comparison of Rally Drivers to F1 drivers, the F1 drivers in Rally Cars don't dominate.

I think good drivers are good drivers, no matter what car they choose to drive.

Edited by DirtModeler

Ya, he's got a French accent because he's French, but , his driving skills are uncanny. And, on film at least he seems very unpretentious about it all. Like " oh ya I can drive ok I guess. He's just a natural that has honed his craft. I love watching him drive. I used to not like the fact that he was 'so' dominate, but , then I came to accept the fact that he's just that good.

Update: He retired last year! Oh no!

Edited by Speedfreak

Ya, he's got a French accent because he's French, but , his driving skills are uncanny. And, on film at least he seems very unpretentious about it all. Like " oh ya I can drive ok I guess. He's just a natural that has honed his craft. I love watching him drive. I used to not like the fact that he was 'so' dominate, but , then I came to accept the fact that he's just that good.

Update: He retired last year! Oh no!

And did you see the video coverage of his last rally? Slippery road and .... upside down in a ditch! Ah, well! It happens to the best! He and his co-driver walked away, literally!

Ya, he's got a French accent because he's French,

He probably speaks French too, in fact I can guess what he might have said as he headed for said ditch! :D

If you're not crashing you're not trying (someone said that, I don't think it's one of Abraham Lincoln's).

Even Fangio crashed occasionally.

Nine (NINE!) consecutive WRC titles, yea Loeb was dominant. The only reason he won't win more is he semi-retired from rally. And what does he do in his first year of retirement? He smash the Pikes Peak Hill Climb record by a minute and a half in his first attempt. He has competed in Le Mans but no victories - yet.

He smash the Pikes Peak Hill Climb record by a minute and a half in his first attempt.

That's got to be one of the most dominating performances by a driver and team in any motorsports event ever. Breaking the record by seconds, impressive, breaking it by a minute and a half, unbelievable!

• 8 months later...

Those photos are from a time when rallying wasn't controlled like it is now.Spectators are now kept from being the road and stages have been cancelled for lack of crowd control.

Agreed. The Group B era was way out of control. However watch the initial video clip I posted and you will see the skill and concentration of a modern rally driver.