Model Cars Magazine Forum

Complaints and grievances with your models

Now, if you've seen any of my last few weeks of comments, chances are that I referenced my recent acquisition of a T Fruitwagon.

I was happy at first, mostly because I like Model Ts.

However, after trying to start it I'm FAR from happy. There's flash on every piece I have to trim off. I can't have a Bucket Truck with a full bed and fenders without cutting the stock interior out and putting the custom one in.

Meh.

Anyhow, anybody else got any complaints with their recent models?

I rarely get new kits so it's a treat for me, and I suppose it's a disappointment even more because of that. And to think I used the HL coupon on this... I knew I shoulda gotten that MPC Jeep! Nonetheless, the kit has provided nice wheels, tires, some decals, and the keg to other projects.

Also, the "carb balls," whatever they are and whatever they do, are becoming oranges for my Rat Rod Del Ray -_-

Edited by chunkypeanutbutter

last kit I was really disappointed in was the recent reissue of that Barnabas Collins truck kinda thing. I figured I could make a kool street rod from it. got it home and opened it up...what a hunk of junk. warpy, flashy body panels, flash so thick on the chrome you couldn't even hardly make out the part, minimal detail and what was there was cartoon like, actually nothing at all I wanted to do with it except close up the box and forget about it. will probably donate it to our model show for raffle prize or something...best to pass along the pain.

jb

Flash is never a surprise to me in a model kit. One kit I was really disappointed in was the Twister Vega back some years ago and the AMT 76 Nova with a stock Nova on the front of the box and a only prostreet Nova parts inside. I try to make better choices when buying now...

roof on the fox body, a lot of the 67 camaro is just wrong, and I have a stack of ferrari kits that are warped up BAD. just stinks to buy new kits that are either wrong or really nice kits that are warped, some are warped to the point Im unsure I can boil them strait

the mustang I can live with, the camaro is what it is, having $200 in warped kits is just bull

Edited by turbo nova

Also, the "carb balls," whatever they are and whatever they do, are becoming oranges for my Rat Rod Del Ray -_-

The "carb balls " are what they use when the car does not have a filter on the carb. They sit on top of the zoomie tubes or the carb to keep the dirt out when it is not running. I think it is more of a show car thing that a practical thing though. Some have something like that for the headers also.

It was totally a practical thing. When they were using the stack style fuel injection in drag racing, it was SOP to plug those holes with something. Tennis balls connected with line were easy to make. A lot easier than to do it in scale. As far as kit cleanup goes, that just part of the price of admission. I'd rather have to spend time hating the cleanup than to not have the kit at all.

Really, the only kit I've been disappointed in was the Munster's Coach/Dragula combo. They're stupidly simple kits, details are almost non-existant. Fortunately if you get the one in the tin, it comes with a book showing a lot of details. I'll be doing a lot of scratchbuilding on them.

There are always Tamiya kits for flashless (I just made up my own word; let's hope The Oxford picks it up next year...) and trouble free assembly. I have also just started a Fujimi kit of the Lamborghini Countach...a "vintage" kit itself which has , so far, been free of flash or sink marks or--most importantly--warped or damaged parts. I have noticed that most of the kits people complain about today are kits I built growing up. I had to deal with the same issues back then because even at that time, the molds were well-used. Just use it as an opportunity to hone your skills. Being an Automotive Technician for 25 years taught me quite quickly that NO job is straightforward and hassle free--although some jobs just look like trouble before you even start. (Anyone remember the Skoda...?)

This is why I believe that every employee, from the top CEO, down to the lowliest secretary and the lowest paid dock worker, should be required to build every kit that they manufacture and sell. Most importantly, all of the upper management and every last employee on the manufacturing lines, including the tool and die shop, should have to compete.

Each company that manufactures and/or distributes models should have a mandatory build time, totaling at least two hours a week.

To make things more interesting, each model should be judged by national standards, at a meet, and the employees with the worst model should be fired, on the spot.

If we had a scenario like this, they would stop building and selling the trash that they box up that they pawn off on us.