Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is your favourite kit of all time?

Wow. Interesting topic.

Gonna have to give it a lot of thought, but for the moment I'll say AMT '66 Buick Skylark and original issue AMT '66 Mustang hardtop/convertible (with the custom half-top and all the great custom parts that have never been seen again).

I like most cars and trucks from the 1930s...mostly trucks. So I have a few kits that represent that . I know it's not the most wonderful kit out the, but I'm going to say the 1934 Ford pickup...either original AMT or Lindberg. There are endless possibilities from stock to full on rod. Looks good with a chopped top. Simple and fun! AND, it's a truck from the 30s!

post-14132-0-70400800-1418577114_thumb.j

Another favorite series is the original AMT annual Corvette Sting Rays, 1963-67. There was some really good stuff in those kits that hasn't survived to the present day. Of the ten different kits (coupes and roadsters, five different years), hard to pick ONE favorite. I think I like the roadsters better than the coupes--they had some extra optional goodies. Maybe the '67 roadster, which included a panel wagon top AND the optional factory hardtop.

Well I am only just getting back into the hobby and have been mostly working out of my stash from the 90's. I have bought one kit that has impressed me, Revells 32 Ford 5 window Cpe Kit. Lots of build options, great instructions and lots of extra parts for future projects.

There may be others but for now this is my go to kit for 32's. I have bought 2 so far I will most likely be buying more.

post-13723-0-99691800-1418579393_thumb.j

Edited by Jon Haigwood

The ERTL Scout II.

Sure, it's simple, wasn't very detailed, and had the weird tire thing going on, but it holds a special place in my heart. It was among the first few that I built and i had all of them taken away from me when I was about seven or so. Then, a few months ago (or more, I can't really remember now) I found the box of them in the cellarway :)

Memories flooding back... The White-Freightliner single-axle that I never managed to put together fully and painted the interior with purple paint, the screw-bottom GTO i detailed for my dad and actually didn't destroy it at all, the terrible Revell Cuda painted in Lime Pearl with the whole top brush-painted with black Testors glop.... And, the Scout. Poor thing at the bottom of the box, the International Blue paint helplessly calling out...

I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet. The glass was unsaveable, and so was most of the engine. Needs new taillights, wheels, tires, suspension, and most of the interior. The roof actually melted a little in places because of the Testors glue I so loved to pour on kits back then!

I'm not sure if favourite means one you had the most fun with, or one you've built the most amount of times...

For most amount of times, it's the Tamiya Impreza WRC - I've built 3 of these, with more to be built down the line probably.

tumblr_m9mfss9qhL1qlq9k4o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_m2qwr4nxwi1qlq9k4o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mjei2aY2771qlq9k4o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_mfn99dTRCh1qlq9k4o4_1280.jpg

I could build that kit all day.

As for what I think was probably the most fun? It'd have to be Revell's Plymouth Superbird. I love the superbird and I could probably build endless variations of this kit. Everything fits great and it looks stunning. All it needs is the RoadRunner decals...

This one was built back in 2012, must build another one sometime soon.

tumblr_mb6lz2Amv01qlq9k4o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mb6lz2Amv01qlq9k4o2_1280.jpg

I've had many favorites, but number one is - of all things - the AMT '63 Chevy Nova wagon, with the AMT '57 Ford a close second. It's just something about the little wagon's nice clean lines and AMT's neat accurate job of recreating it in scale. I have two built Craftsman kits plus a six-banger from a regular kit, and I wouldn't mind having a couple more.

I have several but need to find most of them...

Johans...specially there snap and promo like kits or promos.

AMT 69 Impala

MPC/AMT 67,68,69 Bonneville and 70 HT

AMT/MPC 69-72 Grand Prix

Johan 66-70 Cadillacs

Johan 64-68 Chrysler 300s,Imperial,Fury.

very late 50s through 70s station wagons and 4 doors.

MPC 71-76 Dodge vans.

Campers

1/8th scale Trans Am,large scale vans,pickups.

Edited by disabled modeler