Model Cars Magazine Forum

Clark Gas Station Project

Repstock

• 2 weeks later...

clarkshirts.jpg

More progress on the station. Here's some uniforms made from Apoxie Sculpt. This is my first time using this product, and I'm pretty pleased with the result. Hangers are bent wire. You won't be able to see a lot of the uniform detail when they're hung up, but I detailed them completely anyway. It's good to practice. I still need to scrape the excess paint off some of the shirt hangers.

Edited by Repstock

Tom ,in addition to Clark oil , Diamond Shamrock who was now owned by Sigmor in Dallas used OVAL Plastic and Crown Central in Baltimore Maryland . They retailed in the east as Crown . Let me dig through and I'll get some pictures of the "Late " globes . Ed Shaver

Clark must have been one of the last brands to get rid of pump globes. Tom's pic of the girl at the pump was 1978, I believe.

Tom- The old Clark station I used to deliver beer to was ran by an old crusty guy that worked for Clark since day one. He showed me a couple of old globes he had & pictures of an old station he ran when it was downtown, long before my time. I figured the globes were pretty old & he said they weren't. I guess the picture confirms that.

I took a few pics today of the other two remaining Clark stations we have left in town. Don't know if they are of any help to you though.

IMG_1264-vi.jpg

IMG_1275-vi.jpg

Cigarettes.jpg

I finished the cigarettes that will be in the storeroom. They are not perfectly accurate, but in 1/25 scale, they should be adequate. I realize that the sides of most of the cartons won't be visible, but I did them anyway as practice. Will add more when more is done.

Thanks for looking, and I appreciate all the help as well as the feedback.

Cigarettes.jpg

I finished the cigarettes that will be in the storeroom. They are not perfectly accurate, but in 1/25 scale, they should be adequate. I realize that the sides of most of the cartons won't be visible, but I did them anyway as practice. Will add more when more is done.

Thanks for looking, and I appreciate all the help as well as the feedback.

Tom, just a question as my weary mind can't remember. As a gas station pre-convenience store, did they sell smokes by the carton, or did they have an old style cig machine? I remember growing up in St. Clair Shores, and all the local Union 76 station had was a machine. My mom usually got her smokes from the grocery store. Not saying you're wrong, I just don't know.

Tom, just a question as my weary mind can't remember. As a gas station pre-convenience store, did they sell smokes by the carton, or did they have an old style cig machine? I remember growing up in St. Clair Shores, and all the local Union 76 station had was a machine. My mom usually got her smokes from the grocery store. Not saying you're wrong, I just don't know.

You make a good point!

I have no idea how the cigarettes were stored or sold. This layout was determined by the following: I have no photographic evidence of any vending machine in the showroom. All evidence suggests the cigarettes were kept in the stockroom. They were no doubt sold by the pack, but stored in cartons.

Less compelling but equally true: I have no room left in the stockroom for a vending unit, and they will look cool sitting on the shelves.

I never worked at a station, and I've never smoked, so I'm at a bit of a disadvantage. Perhaps others will weigh in on this, and provide clarification.

Tom, I'm guessing here , but most Pre- convenience stores sold cigarettes by the carton and over the counter . Shoot, most stations sold the things to me for .25c a pack at the island where I was . Yep, got me a dollas worth of premium and a pack of Cowboy Killas !

Ed Shaver

Tom, Smokes were sold from a box mounted on the island lights, cartons were all inside...we did sell a few. We used the coin changers (like Sonic today) and never needed to go inside .

Did the outside box hold the entire inventory, or were some cases kept inside in order to fill the box as needed?

The Clark my buddy n I worked at (late 70's) did have cartons stored on the back shelves.......I remember this because of that is how we got hooked on smoking by trying different brands....took me almost 20yrs to quit ;)

This station is set in the late seventies. You've given me the excuse I was looking for! I'll put them in the back as planned. I will have to remember to do that outside box, too.