Model Cars Magazine Forum

JO-HAN Molds?

13 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Hmm. I wonder if Round2 could scan the '62 and '63 Jo-Han Plymouth and Dodge bodies to get their accurate shape, and adapt them to fit their ex-Lindberg '64 Plymouth chassis? Food for thought.

with the prospect of some lawyer coming out of the woodwork, for copy right infringement?

There's a reason no one succeeded in doing anything positive with the Jo-Han legacy. 

Maybe, maybe not. If Round2 had licensed permission from Chrysler to produce a '62 Plymouth, and scanned the Jo-Han body for shape and accuracy but modified it to fit their own chassis (no screw posts, separate radiator wall, new door panels/dash/seats, etc.) there wouldn't be enough left to sue about. Chrysler owns the design of the car, not the owner of the molds (which most likely no longer exist). Remember the situation when Revell came out with a 1/48 B-17F that was in part cribbed from Monogram's B-17G - Monogram grumbled about it but realized they didn't really have a case.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

On 12/11/2020 at 12:35 PM, sak said:

unless somebody is willing to 3d scan the originals and 3d print in mass production, these johans will never see the light of day, except originals on ebay. Case closed.

It's been mentioned by a reputable source Ernie Pettit tried to acquire some JO-HAN molds a decade ago, but was unable to do so. Why, we may never know, but the molds exist.

We may even hear some news in 2021...

1 hour ago, ZTony8 said:

I heard from a reliable source that the reuse of JoHan molds was unlikely because their tooling was so different than that of the other model companies. Anyone know about this possibility?

I remember that too. It was said that Johan tools were smaller and didn’t work in the other company’s molding machines.  But remember that Okey got the 59 Ramblers and Turbine cars done! So some contract companies out there must have been able to work with them

On 12/11/2020 at 12:18 AM, lordairgtar said:

Quote  from Mr. Geiger...   "Per the original flyer that Okie put out for the "New Johan",  it's reasonable to think that the molds for the classics...  1935 Mercedes and 1931 Lincolns still exist." What Lincolns? Do you mean Cadillacs?

Hmm . the 10931 Lincoln ?? Not in 1/25 Scale . Two Mercedes , both mid '30's . One Coupe , One Open Car .. Thanx .. 

On 12/11/2020 at 12:18 AM, lordairgtar said:

Quote  from Mr. Geiger...   "Per the original flyer that Okie put out for the "New Johan",  it's reasonable to think that the molds for the classics...  1935 Mercedes and 1931 Lincolns still exist." What Lincolns? Do you mean Cadillacs?

14 hours ago, lordairgtar said:

I was thinking he was thinking of the Cadillacs. I love the Mercedes cars. I have about 10 of those kits.

Bingo!  Give an old guy a break! ?    

• Like 1