Model Cars Magazine Forum

Red Green's Possum Van

Wow, this thread went out the window!

Getting back to the Possum Van, that is an incredible 99% likeness! The rolls of duct tape, duct taped seats and empty Tim Horton's cups make it authentic. I can imagine Red behind the wheel, Harold griping the dash board and Bill in the back tangled up in an inflatable raft covered in bee stings.

harold.jpg

Edited by beefheart22

Getting back to the Possum Van, that is an incredible 99% likeness! The rolls of duct tape, duct taped seats and empty Tim Horton's cups make it authentic. I can imagine Red behind the wheel, Harold griping the dash board and Bill in the back tangled up in an inflatable raft covered in bee stings.

Too bad he didn't have the driver's mirror hanging down from Bill constantly knocking it off! :)

Interesting , yes interesting in the fact that no one has commented on the fact that when A M T did that kit , they built it as a standard long wheel base van. Now here we see that this model is NOT A LONG WHEELBASE VAN , it's a Maxi Van ! That friends took some very careful body work . Oh well, guess i'll go back over to one of the Van Forums I belong to . Ed Shaver

You caught that too, huh Ed :) I did notice that all it needs is the seam that separates the main unibody and the extended rump like Chrysler and Ford did with their vans from that generation B)

You caught that too, huh Ed :D I did notice that all it needs is the seam that separates the main unibody and the extended rump like Chrysler and Ford did with their vans from that generation ;)

Dodge was part of Chrysler! ;) Also, it doesn't look like Dodge had as "dirty" a parting line as Ford did, so it is excusable. :P

Actually Islander, the Dodge and Plymouth F/S vans had that seem in the back as well all the way up intil Dahlmer killed them off in favor of their Sprinter. Ford did do away with that in the early/mid 90's on hte current body style F/S vans though. I still think GM did it right with their extra long F/S (both the old unibody and current body on frame) vans though, they stretched them between their vans between the side door and rear wheels :D

Actually Islander, the Dodge and Plymouth F/S vans had that seem in the back as well all the way up intil Dahlmer killed them off in favor of their Sprinter.

Haha I never said they didn't have the parting line, I just said it's not as noticeable as the one on the Ford vans. :D

I for one(American) want to say thanks to our Canadian friends for giving us the Red Green Show and Rush one of the best bands in the world. Hockey ain't bad either. In the words of Tony Kornheiser, Goodnight Canada.

Edited by 935k3

Hi folks, I'm Andrew Desautels and I want to thank you for your most kind comments regarding my Possum Van. I'm an American fan of the Red Green show, and I'm also almost exclusively an aircraft modelmaker (ducks for cover).

When I decided to try a Possum Van, my first automotive subject since the late '80's, I received a TON of helpful advice from the Canadians at ARC (aircraftresourcecenter.com). It was through them that I first heard of Tim Horton's, whose company was kind enough to send me disposable cups to shrink down on a color copier. They also told me about Canadian Tire, whose catalog I perused to copy most of the items scattered throughout the van to scratchbuild.

During the course of the build, the Canadian membership at ARC granted me the title "HonoUrary Hoser" in recognition of actually trying to make it authentically Canadian!

Also, the article at ARC on the van (submitted for Canada Day) does show one photo of the bodywork required to extend the van to the longer version. http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal4/3601-3700/gal3689_Van_Desautels/00.shtm It took two kits, both found on eBay, one white (ambulance) and one red (street van). It was actually easier than I thought it would be, to chop off the appropriate length of van from one and insert it into the other, welded from the inside and smoothed outside (as an aircraft builder, seams are an everyday pain, especially in jet intakes). Then to repeat it with a lengthened chassis, of course.

Thanks again for the kind comments!

Hi folks, I'm Andrew Desautels and I want to thank you for your most kind comments regarding my Possum Van. I'm an American fan of the Red Green show, and I'm also almost exclusively an aircraft modelmaker (ducks for cover).

When I decided to try a Possum Van, my first automotive subject since the late '80's, I received a TON of helpful advice from the Canadians at ARC (aircraftresourcecenter.com). It was through them that I first heard of Tim Horton's, whose company was kind enough to send me disposable cups to shrink down on a color copier. They also told me about Canadian Tire, whose catalog I perused to copy most of the items scattered throughout the van to scratchbuild.

During the course of the build, the Canadian membership at ARC granted me the title "HonoUrary Hoser" in recognition of actually trying to make it authentically Canadian!

Also, the article at ARC on the van (submitted for Canada Day) does show one photo of the bodywork required to extend the van to the longer version. http://www.aircraftr...sautels/00.shtm It took two kits, both found on eBay, one white (ambulance) and one red (street van). It was actually easier than I thought it would be, to chop off the appropriate length of van from one and insert it into the other, welded from the inside and smoothed outside (as an aircraft builder, seams are an everyday pain, especially in jet intakes). Then to repeat it with a lengthened chassis, of course.

Thanks again for the kind comments!

You're very welcome! It is a great build! I really like the way it looks. If you ever do any other automotive builds, please post them here, I know there are people here who would love to see them, me being one of them for sure!

;)

Excellent job inside and out on the van. Lots of duct tape too. Your very good with details and I'd also like to see any future auto models you might do.

I'd also like to point out that watching Red Green ,drinking Tim Hortons and being a hockey fan does NOT make you a Canadian. If you live in Quebec then you are definately CANADIAN!!!

I just made an interesting discovery...

I subscribed to Red Green on Facebook about 6 months ago. I was looking at my subscription this morning, and I found this:

Red Green If you've ever seen my show, you gotta check this link. I think this is the first time in history where the 1/25th scale model is worth more than the full-sized version.

Red Green's Possum Van - Model Cars Magazine Forum

Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

What a great model, and this is my favorite Red Green quote. Thanks for saving me from having to google it myself...

Edited by Ronster