Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anybody Have experience with this kit?

Hi All

Does anyone here have any experience with this kit? I tried to Google it but can only find articles in Japanese/Chinese, I also tried this forum- but no luck - I want to know things like the build quality, kit features, possibility of detailing etc etc.

b0058021_11351488.jpg

Looking forward to hearing from you.

P.S: I managed to find a PE Set for this kit too - http://www.autographmodel.de/Deutsch/D-M1-16/Boxer-Platine.jpg

Edited by Flymeister

I wish my memory of the kit was better, but Mark pretty much covered it. The 512 is my favorite design of that era Ferrari. I built the kit in the mid '80s, and when done, it made a nice shelf piece. The one thing I do remember is that the instructions were in Japanese, without a "paint brack" call-out to be found. The door fit required a little work if I recall, and because of the motorized option, engine detail was very simple. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that it was designed to optionally light up the head and tail lights with grain of wheat bulbs.

I guess I don't remember a lot of the build, as it went together fairly well, and when completed, was a very nice model. It became one of my favorite pieces. I had painted it in Testor's dark grey metallic, with red interior/ black dash. I had never seen one other than in Road & Track magazine, and was tiring of building red Ferraris. In a bit of strange coincidence, less than a week after I finished the model, I saw one on the road going in the opposite direction in the EXACT color scheme I built mine! If there hadn't been a median in that portion of road, I would have made a U-turn, and chased him down to offer to sell the model. I later gave it to a friend who greatly admired it.

Thanks Mark & Jim - This is exactly what I was looking for - (I was a bit worried about the motorized part)!!!!

Bought the model off E-bay for $45 (oooooops, think i might've paid too much) - Planning to order the PE kit as well (29 euro's incl. shipping)

Once things in my life have settled down a bit I will take up the build with the intention of making this into a display piece.

Pretty well covered.

Not a bad kit for it's time, and still the only large scale plastic kit of this beauty. The BB512 kit was originaly presented in the late 70's, red/black on box in Fujini 1/16th line (built it in 1979 & in 1989 in Revell US box).

As already mention the original version (1977) was "Mabuchi" "motorized" & had "working" light bulbs &... those 2 "mini" glue tubes included in the box (got it in '79) yours is the 2nd edition of 1983-84 no lights/no motor (Jap market kits still had both) with very nice boxart typical of all Fujimi car kits of the 80's...Fujimi surely hired a very talented artist back then those design were so kool!

As mention the level of detail of the frame/engine(a bit "oversized")/transaxle is pretty "passable" & some parts look a bit "hefty":...remember that most of these kits were design back then as "motorized toys" to assemble &... to "play" with when completed (typical of Japanese domestic market car kits) front cowl section details are also pretty basic.

Yes Getting all the body panels to fit right:(half bodies/doors/front-rear cowls) will demand a bit of work & patience...fitting is not perfect, balance of assemblies are not to nerv racking.

The Interior (even if simple), general body proportions, wheels & excellent Michelin X rubber tires are the strong points of this Ferrari Master Piece design.

Fujimi made a 3rd boxing in the 90's & a 4th limited edition not so long ago. Oddly the kit was not boxed by Testors back in the 80's but... Revell US in '87

Good kit of this beauty, great potential with little TLC when building.

...Those BB512 1/16th mint kits were selling for so cheap on eBay not so long ago ;)

Thanks to u too Paul for the advice!! It's nice to know these kits have potential ..... Eversince I bought the Revell 1/12 F40, I'm extremely careful of bigger scale kits and box art

As we dont have many kit options in South Africa, I have to source from overseas, which can be a bit problematic sometimes.

THANKS AGAIN ALL!!

Edited by Flymeister