Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 56 Ford F-100-Now Under Glass-01/02

Joe, not trying to rush you but are you going with opening doors? This is a kit you just don't see much. i have not seen a Roth version built. I really enjoyed you last build i will be with you on this one. You planed ahead for what you need and may need. Whats left over is how you build a parts box up... :)

Thanks Carl. Yeah I plan on allowing the doors to open but before I do that I've got a lot of clean up to do on the doors and body. As of now I had to ditch the idea of the trailing arm suspension just because it just wouldn't work here. What I did do instead was, from my way of thinking, a little unorthodox in the fact that I removed the original spring perches from the build frame and graphed the ones from the spare parts frame onto the one from the build. I know it's not icon_quotes.GIFcorrecticon_quotes.GIF but I'll be able to lower the rear suspension down about 1/4" to put the wheel/ tire assy where I want it and have about 1/8" tweeking room. I've still got to brace them up a little better with some spare resin stock that I've got to clean up the appearance and have to trim up some on the truck bed so that it sits all the way down on the frame in the front (about 1/32"-1/16") but here's the current progress so I can at least show that I'm building on this.

DSCN1456_zpsvd95qpyk.jpg

and a little closer:

DSCN1455_zpsfbg4ys0y.jpg

No real big updates for today. I notched out the truck bed on the bottom a little bit (without making a butchered mess out of it) so that it would sit down on the frame on all four corners, removed the transmission crossmember from the build frame and started cleaning up the frame where I cut out the crossmember. I cut the crossmember from the parts donor kit and will clean it up and install it about 1/2" towards the rear of the frame to line up with the 429's four speed transmission mount. I'll see if I can capture it all in pics at the same time I have another update so as not to waste another slot on my PB account.

Well folks it's definitely update time. I'll post the major update pic first that has green callout lines. I didn't label the lines but I'll start with the lines starting at the front of the frame and work towards the rear.

Here we go:

Pointed%20out%20mods_zpsgdjhwoag.jpg

For line #1 at the radiator core support area I cut out the large area so that my belt, pulleys and fan would have a place to sit in place.

At line #2 I cut out the transmission cross member and relocated the cross member to the 4 speed transmission mount location.

At the 3rd line I relocated the rear leaf spring front perch on top of the frame and the 4th line is where I relocated the rear spring perch on top of the frame.

The transmission sits in like so:

Frame%20comparisons%20001_zpsa4h2u0zy.jp

I've still gotta install fabricated motor mounts from the frame to the engine but this is where that's gonna sit: (this body is ONLY used as part of the test fitting)

Engine%20test-fit%20001_zpsm8lruipn.jpg

A little crooked but I'll straighten that out:

Engine%20test-fit%20002_zpsp5f8cxoo.jpg

The biggest worry I have right now is the exhaust but I'll get past it. ;)

Edited by mustang1989

Joe nice progress I know you will figure out what to do with the exhaust.

Nice update Joe. if you go with headers your exhaust should not be too bad.

Thanks fellas!! I have a couple of routes to go with for the exhaust. I can go headers but that's gonna require a lot of fancy foot work. There are what appears to be some high flow type manifolds in the modified version of that 429 in the Mustang box. I've got another set of decent looking high flows laying around from years gone by with exhaust lead pipes as well. We'll see what happens. Decisions, decisions I'll tell ya!!

Ok fellas I feel like I'm finally getting somewhere here with this build! I've got the rear springs set into place with white glue just for test fitting and measurement purposes. I've got the axle just about where I want it. I may can lower it another teeny bit but it's around 1/4" lower than what it was right now. I've got the fabricated motor mount bosses glued into position also. The engine was still sitting at a weird angle even after motor mound mods so I added a transmission mount to the cross member which fixed the front high angle problem I was having out of the engine.

So far here are all the parts so far in white that have been added and/ or modified....

DSCN1469_zpsyyyqissz.jpg

and here's a comparison from frame to frame on even levels where the rear end is supposed to be if I were to build it how I was supposed to and where it is currently on this build. Now I just have to clean up and narrow the rear end to move the tires inward. icon_bored.GIF

FSCN1468_zpsmkxyec8e.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

LOL! Thanks Tom! I've made some progress in the way of finishing up with the frame set up and priming and painting the frame as well as work on the rear suspension. Will post pics tomorrow morning hopefully............

Looking forward to those pictures Joe..... :D

Ok I figured after a week of very slow progress and this morning with a bit more progress that I would post some pictures. All of this has proven to be a lot more tedious than I originally thought but I think it's going to pay off.........................................eventually. I've been working on paint this week so half of that time has been spent on other things like getting the wheels to fit the front AM tires and smoothing out the two piece rear tires (this all boiled down to money folks-I could have just bought another kit with one piece tires in it or gone AM with this but I've already exceeded the budget BIG TIME with this build so if it aint paint related stuff I'm buying then it aint gonna happen) and drilling the holes out in the Draglite wheels. I did manage to narrow the rear end and get a couple of pieces glued on to the frame though.

DSCN1471_zpspzkurbwg.jpg

Here's the difference after removing some off of the differential mounting pads. I think we're going to be ok in the "lowering department".

RSCN1476_zpsmvcssy17.jpg

and then the difference in the tires from before and after seam filling and sanding work:

FSCN1478_zpsrvdz5cjb.jpg

again , slow progress but the trains a comin' !!