Model Cars Magazine Forum

WILLYS GONE WILD

Dr. Cranky

As you can see, I've built a roll cage a little different than what comes in the kit just for a little variety. I've also been working on the engine with some aluminum parts and big cars from MCG.

IMG_7329-vi.jpg

IMG_7332-vi.jpg

We are getting close to primer now . . .

Edited by Dr. Cranky

Someone needs to explain to me how this is always my fault ! Lmao !

Granted , I'm usually a suspect and rightfully so ! However , I had nothing to do with this one . Given the wildness of the subject matter , this has Cranky's DNA alllllllll over it , not mine !

Now , the aforementioned ' Vette Gasser ? Welllll , I plead the fifth on that one ! Oh by the way ! Virgil ? Big blown Hemi's require lottsa motor detail , lots and lots of it ! Hehehehe !

Yeah, I knew you were going to say that, and I am going to put lots of detail on this one. The way I am imagining it, this vehicle belong to a crazy Mad Scientist doctor (ahem, ahem) who got it and restored it, of course he started with a big hemi engine, pretty new all around, then he painted the body and made it shiny and put everything on a frame and chassis that will eventually need to be restored. The wheels are getting weathered in preparation for the chassis which I paint tomorrow.

This one is coming along rather slow, but I am relishing this build. How could I not, it's a 41 Willys.

Making progress on the paint. The engine parts are painted. While they dry, I am working on the chassis, getting that painted. All the parts have been primered. This build is moving along.

No pictures yet, but soon . . . thanks to everyone for the wonderful comments and for staying tuned in.

While I was getting the parts in primer, I worked on weathering and muddying up the wheels. I still have to tweak them but they are looking nice and road weary . . .

IMG_7374-vi.jpg

Also got the roll cage ready . . . the interior right now is in flat black, but I think it is going to be tan with some green accents . . . .

IMG_7375-vi.jpg

IMG_7376-vi.jpg

I knew that the most important part of this build if I wanted to capture the right look were the tires, so I turned my attention to them . . .

I worked on them one whole day using AK-INTERACTIVE pigments and paints . . .

IMG_0185-vi.jpg

The most disconcerting thing about working with pigments and paints is that you have to wait for them to dry. Before then you work mostly holding your breath . . . the colors go on darker when they are wet, and then they lighten up once dry . . . they gave the tires the right chalky and flaky look to the mud. I still have to do the final spattering once I have a rolling chassis.

All that chrome inside the wheel is going to get a healthy spattering of mud . . .

In the meantime, I sprayed all the parts with primer . . . I like to use black primer for all the chassis and interior components . . .

IMG_0179-vi.jpg

I got the body pretty smooth too . . . ready for paint . . .

IMG_0181-vi.jpg

IMG_0184-vi.jpg