Model Cars Magazine Forum

Here's a good movie to copy a bunch of old trucks from. I used to have the Mack, but it was the wrong model compared to the one used in the movie though.

http://www.imcdb.org/movie_77369-Convoy.html

Yeah, I bought the old Ertl kit through the mail without knowing any better. What comes in the box is a DM-600 with a small sleeper. An accurate kit would have been an R model Mack with a big sleeper. When it arrived in the mail, I was so disappointed, I built it totally diferent from the box. I laugh at how much people pay for this kit on ebay considering its inaccuracy.

Yeah, I bought the old Ertl kit through the mail without knowing any better. What comes in the box is a DM-600 with a small sleeper. An accurate kit would have been an R model Mack with a big sleeper. When it arrived in the mail, I was so disappointed, I built it totally diferent from the box. I laugh at how much people pay for this kit on ebay considering its inaccuracy.

Yeah, I bought that thing for like 10 bucks when I was a kid. I know it was not the right truck, but I still liked it. Wished I could find an R series so I could make one of them I have a link somewhere for a guy that makes all of the correct decals for the truck. My HT has a mack, but it's not right either. It's a day cab and I bet it's a single axle, but I'm not sure.

I have not built a truck in a long time. I started in 07 on a Dodge L700 from Lindberg, but that things a piece of ######. The frames and suspension wont line up for starters. And it has enough flash on it to build a second model from it all.

If I could find the right trucks and decals there are three that I would really like to build, maybe four.

That would be the KW Aerodyne from "B. J. and the Bear", The green KW from "Moving On", the correct Mack from "Convoy" and the '55 Slim Nose Pete from "Duel". I better forget that last one. Even if they made a kit for the truck and trailer, I'd never get it weathered correctly and would probably be disappointed in it. I do have some good pics of it from it's current owner though.

• 1 month later...
Optimus Prime from Transformers would be awesome to build. Surprised I haven't seen a kit of that yet.

That would be cool. I'd rather have the old COE from the cartoon than the conventional from the movie though ... lol.

That did create quite the controversy, didn't it. LOL

Yeah it did, but at least I can understand that one. It would be pretty hard to find a COE in decent shape these days. I've seen 2 still on the road in the last 10 years or so and they looked really rough.

What really ticked me off was using the camaro for Bumblebee. You can find old and new VW's everywhere. Kind of a cult collectible. Heck, there's a yellow one right down the road from me. I'd like to get it and strip it's body and build a tube type dune buggy out of her.

Yeah it did, but at least I can understand that one. It would be pretty hard to find a COE in decent shape these days. I've seen 2 still on the road in the last 10 years or so and they looked really rough.

LOL. I'm just glad 2 hear you were at least understanding about the whole cabover vs conventional thing.I couldn't believe how angry evreyone was, especially about the paintjob. That really seemed 2 ruffle feathers.

I've seen quite a few cabovers recently, but it's not an everyday thing. I was a big Tranformers fan myself as a child, and I'm just glad that they didn't turn him(Optimus) into an SUV or something.

Besides, during the tv show of the 80's, he was a Freightliner cabover(the toy bears the strongest resmeblence to that truck) which was a common truck at that time. By choosing a 379, they went with a truck that is fairly common now. It made sense 2 me at least.

LOL. I'm just glad 2 hear you were at least understanding about the whole cabover vs conventional thing.I couldn't believe how angry evreyone was, especially about the paintjob. That really seemed 2 ruffle feathers.

I've seen quite a few cabovers recently, but it's not an everyday thing. I was a big Tranformers fan myself as a child, and I'm just glad that they didn't turn him(Optimus) into an SUV or something.

Besides, during the tv show of the 80's, he was a Freightliner cabover(the toy bears the strongest resmeblence to that truck) which was a common truck at that time. By choosing a 379, they went with a truck that is fairly common now. It made sense 2 me at least.

All that just makes sense there. The only thing that made me ill was Bumble Bee and all the other GM stuff in there. Wonder what part twp will be like next month when it comes out?

And funny we brought up COE lately. I just saw a white Feight CEO on the way home this morning with a gas tanker on the back. IT looked pretty rough too, but it was moving right along. So I guess that makes the total 3 in the last ten years or so. lol.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a program on CMC channel called Trick My Truck and it would be awesome to see theme do an Optimus Prime replica. Those guys are awesome! I don't care for trucks as I'm not a redneck or anything like that, but I do enjoy the show. I do enjoy watching people take a piece of trash and making something cool out of it.

HEY! I resemble that. And you don't have to be a red neck to love a good truck. When it comes to models, at one time or another, I have built everything from trucks and cars to planes, military ships (including one with sails and cannons and never again). I even have a couple Space Shuttles in the works right now. One will be on top of it's 747 transport, the other has tanks sitting on the launch pad.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't care for trucks as I'm not a redneck or anything like that

Are you better than everyone in here because we happen to like trucks? What made you lower yourself to come into the truck page of this forum if you think those who like trucks are beneath you? You are entitled to your opinion, but as a trucker myself, I experience this kind of arrogant condescension fairly often. It's not neccessary, and it gets old. I enter this and other forums as a way to enjoy the hobby and yes, my love of trucks. This is the last place I thought I would run into stuck up people.

I don't care for trucks as I'm not a redneck or anything like that, but I do enjoy the show.

Maybe we're taking this out of context or something, but it's kind on insulting. Are you saying that everyone who likes trucks is a redneck? What is you definiton of a redneck, anyway?

Another thing to keep in mind is that a truck brought everything that you eat,wear, and have in your house from port to your local Wally World. And it's atough job. I know, I only drove one for a year, and that was enough for me. Not cut out for everyone, that's for sure, so show a little respect, cause it's not just a job, it's a way of life for many drivers.

Maybe we're taking this out of context or something, but it's kind on insulting. Are you saying that everyone who likes trucks is a redneck? What is you definiton of a redneck, anyway?

Jim, you do have a good point about context, although I have difficulty seeing where there would be a different meaning. The word redneck wasn't what bothered me. It was the tone of the statement that was offensive.