Model Cars Magazine Forum

Maserati 3500GT -- Monogram 1/25

Matt Bacon

Thanks, guys...

A small update... the snow has melted, so I can get back to the bench:
The seats are way too skinny, so I have bulked them out with plastic card:
seats-unpainted-XL.jpg
The next stage of detailing is the interesting hinges, which allow the back of the seats to fold forward and twist inwards at the same time. Mine won't do that, but it accounts for the complicated "Flash Gordon" shape...
dash-started-XL.jpg
I've been worrying about the state of the decals. You can see the cracks across the number plates. I painted this with Microscale decal solution a couple of weeks ago, and I've used Klear to snug it down. It looks OK though, and this is the most critical of all of the decals... the others are replaceable or paintable relatively easily...
colis-XL.jpg
These are about 1cm (0.4") long. These coils are quite visible on the firewall. Teeny-tiny, but took over an hour to make between them! I hope it's worth it!
There's some "bigger picture" stuff going on off-stage, but as my old editor used to say, "only fules and bairns should see a job half done..."
bestest,
M.

WOW..knowing the original manufacture date of the reissue and scale Detail quality of the kit you started with, the results are nothing short of superb and spectacular, all the mod. work and corrections make this an already beautiful model of a real beautiful car. Again SUPERB work.

Thanks, guys... some more progress today (it's being on holiday!)

door-liners-XL.jpg
Door liners, with body colour at the top.
cabin-colours-2-XL.jpg
Tan/beige upholstery, done using Vallejo Dark Sand for the seats and a Citadel "Stone" for the carpets.
dash-XL.jpg
Dash, awaiting the "grab handle" across the glovebox.
coils-fitted-XL.jpg
Coils in place in the engine bay, which was assembled using the chassis as a jig.
engine-bay-mockup-XL.jpg
And the engine bay mocked up, to see how it all fits. I need to build the front suspension before fixing it together properly.
benchtop-1-Apr-XL.jpg
...and this is how the bench is looking tonight. Suspension and those seat hinges next, I reckon...
bestest,
M.

Thanks! It's been a rather busy "holiday" so far, but I finally got back to the bench today. First step, those hinges...
naked-hinges-XL.jpg
They're a very distinctive shape, and pretty complex, because the seat backs tilt both forwards AND inwards to give access to the rear seat bench. Plastic card and rod, and some cursing...
interior-done-5-XL.jpg
interior-done-2-XL.jpg
The seats are mounted canted up on higher, tapering rails. After a bit of washing with Citadel Gryffonne Sepia and a drybrush with beige, the leather interior is complete. The handbrake is in the wrong place, so I've shortened it and moved it forward. I also carved the cone-shaped gear-lever "glove" into something more soft-leather shaped and brushed it with liquid cement to smooth it a bit.
interior-test-XL.jpg
And here's a test fit to see how it looks with the dash. The lighting ain't great, but I think it DOES resemble the real thing... You can see that there will be some fudging, because the firewall will leave the side vents half in the cabin...
bestest,
M.

I have never been exactly sure how the seats work on the different versions of the 3500GT, but I do know that the cantlievered movement you describe was part of this Allemano version of the car. Just not sure about the GTi. In any case, you still need to add the bottom part of the hinge.

1962maserati5000gtint3_zps84d1ebb8.jpg

1962maserati5000gtint2_zps888218cc.jpg

Edited by sjordan2

Hey, Skip... the panel gauges are the kit decal, painted over with liquid decal film to hold it together, cut out close to the gauges, and then applied using Klear as decal settings solution under the decal, and in several coats over it as well...

And now, spot the difference time...
with-hinge-bits-XL.jpg
Now with the missing hinge lower part. I also refitted the "parcel shelf" at a lower angle, so that it doesn't end up half way up the back window. You need trim the mounting pillars to achieve this...
boot-liner-XL.jpg
Some interesting super tough PVC tape is doing duty as the textured vinyl boot liner -- an optional extra, apparently.
test-fit-interior-XL.jpg
...and this is how it all looks together. I fitted the side vents as well (with a little careful trimming so that they slot under the new fairings at the front), because they'll soon need painting on the inside, split between carpet (stone) in the cabin, and matt black in front of the firewall. I suspect the vents are in the right place on the side of the car, but because of the overdone cut out at the base of the windscreen, the firewall is too far forward. Mind you, I think it's also pushed further forward to make room for the "working" door hinges, so maybe THAT drives the firewall/windscreen/dash geometry as well.
window-XL.jpg
I'm trying to reduce the visual impact of the "chrome" window frame, because the engraved areas are a bit heavy. This is a bit more high-contrast than it looks in real life. I've used a panel line chalk wash in dark grey (intended for "grey jet" modern aircraft" which delineates the engraving and represents the rubber seals.
wheels-XL.jpg
The wheels in the kit aren't great, and the tyres are in a real state. Goodness knows what they are made of, but as you can see (on the right) they are shot -- and that's before you try to glue in the fake hard plastic "white walls". I wonder if they were regular styrene in the original release... it would make more sense! The replacements (left) are from an Aoshima MGB. Any ideas on how to take the lettering off without messing up the tyre much appreciated -- a sharp knife doesn't work... I found that out already. If not, I'll just live with it and hope no one looks close enough to read the size... Although the MGB tyres are beefier, and the wheels very slightly larger, the overall diameter of the wheel and tyre combo is very slightly smaller than the originals, so they should fit OK, albeit rather snugly under the wheel arches. It'll probably look sporty, though...
bench-09-Apr-XL.jpg
...and finally, tonight's bench shot. The doors can be assembled when I've finished the other window, and I've also stripped, filled, sanded and repainted the sink-mark-ridden bumpers.
bestest,
M.

Neither my Aurora nor my Monogram kits came with instrument decals, so that's still up to me. The tires are a semi-gloss vinyl with paintable styrene inserts for whitewalls.

I would highly recommend reinforcing the door hinges with metal.

You might consider casting one of the Aoshima tires, removing the lettering from the casting and making four copies of your modified version. I have a couple (I think) of these kits myself, so your build is quite interesting - especially how you are making it more accurate.

wheels2-XL.jpg
These are the K&R etched wheels (left). I'm still not SURE they are better than the Aoshima injected alternative ®, but they do have a wire axle the same size as the Aoshimas, so if I adapt the chassis axle parts to fit, the two options are interchangeable until quite late in the build...
dash-done-XL.jpg
The dash completed, with a Renaissance Nardi steering wheel, horn boss printed with Skip Jordan's excellent reference images...
with-doors-1-XL.jpg
The doors will fit nicely. Currently, I'm battling with the replacement windscreen, which needs to have a template cut before I can start with the BMF on the body...
bestest,
M.

Various bits and pieces today, but not much to photograph. These are the new tail-lights...
tail-lights-started-XL.jpg
I'm shaping them from a piece of perspex that used to be a recipe-book holder! It sands really nicely, and shapes easily.
two-light-blanks-XL.jpg
The two lozenges, waiting for paint and metal details...
bestest,
M.

Various bits and pieces today, but not much to photograph. These are the new tail-lights...
tail-lights-started-XL.jpg
I'm shaping them from a piece of perspex that used to be a recipe-book holder! It sands really nicely, and shapes easily.
two-light-blanks-XL.jpg
The two lozenges, waiting for paint and metal details...
bestest,
M.

Those are 3500 GT taillights, not GTi. The kit lights are correct, as shown on the 1:1 GTi below

taillightcopy_zps8454e931.jpg

Matt, your build looks fantasitc. I do think that your work is better than using the etched wheels tho. I would stick with the Aoshima wheels, or even look into using the existing hubs you have and wire the wheel. Somewhere here in the forums, there was a thread/how to that was done and I wold certaily say that your are up to the task. Fabulous build sir.

wheels2-XL.jpg
These are the K&R etched wheels (left). I'm still not SURE they are better than the Aoshima injected alternative ®, but they do have a wire axle the same size as the Aoshimas, so if I adapt the chassis axle parts to fit, the two options are interchangeable until quite late in the build...
The dash completed, with a Renaissance Nardi steering wheel, horn boss printed with Skip Jordan's excellent reference images...
The doors will fit nicely. Currently, I'm battling with the replacement windscreen, which needs to have a template cut before I can start with the BMF on the body...
bestest,
M.

Thanks, Mark... yep, the Aoshima wheels are winning at the moment...

Well, if yesterday felt a bit "one step forward, two steps back", today feels more like real progress.
chassis-mockup-1-XL.jpg
chassis-mockup-3-XL.jpg
chassis-mockup-2-XL.jpg
I've finally got the front end of the car built. The main chassis and the cabin are just mocked-up here to check the fit of the firewall, which is attached to the chassis. The most useful lesson of doing this was that I wont be able to join the two sections inside the car with the pedals in place (you'll remember ;-P, I need to do that so I can fit them into with the rear valance in place, as I built it earlier for better painting of the main body). So the pedals will have to be added from outside after the chassis is in place, but that's not a big chore.
I'm not trying the whole chassis inside the body until it's all well and truly set, but I couldn't resist trying the engine bay out...
engine-in-1-XL.jpg
engine-in-2-XL.jpg
I'm happy with that. The coil wires aren't connected yet. I don't want to mess with them until the firewall and engine are set absolutely solid on the chassis frame... it can wait a couple of days.
I'm now making CORRECT lights from clear sprue as we speak...
bestest,
M.

Thanks, Skip... I'm a bit scared of living up to the billing, now!

And today, I finally made it through the snow out to the workbench...
Something else I haven't been looking forward to:
Not the greatest pictures (the lighting seemed to confuse the camera), but you can see the effect. I've removed the trident from the original one-piece kit grille, which of course doesn't fit the reshaped nose. A combination of Humbrol polished chrome spray and BMF does the rest.
engine-painted-1-XL.jpg
engine-painted-2-XL.jpg
The engine with that detail painting and the last bits attached. Citadel metallics blended in various proportions for those details...
I think, looking out the window, that progress will be slow the next few days...
bestest,
M.

I would be real interested in your choice of colors and layers of their application to get the colro you haev on those pipes. The color looks very realistic.