Model Cars Magazine Forum

"EL VAN-PYRE"--A 70s Van (Another Cranky-Fried Creation)

I had to repair a couple of spots, but I remasked and shot more paint--it's the beauty of working with planets and space, you can always re-arrange things! :D

018-vi.jpg

This thing has a few layers on paint on it, as you can imagine, including some pearlized grey . . . around the framed borders.

019-vi.jpg

020-vi.jpg

I'm going to let it sit over night and see if any other ideas come to me before I clear this . . .

021-vi.jpg

Thanks, I think it's going to really sparkle in the sun. I'm letting it sit over night because I'm hoping to get a couple more ideas. I really like the name VAN-PYRE, but it's got a space theme and that has nothing to do with vampires, so I'll either have to change the name to something bland like SPACE VAN, or add something to the paint job.

I sealed all the graphic work with a nice coat of clear so I can still work on it without risking ruining what I have already . . . we'll see. Maybe I'll have a Nyquil induced dream that will help it out.

Hey Nice Job Virgil on this paint job, Um got a question though, Is there someone holding you at gun point in your work shop making you paint shiny now? somethings outta place here I havent seen any rust in the last few builds. Tell the truth is the "Old man" (Don Yost) holding the wife hostage? We may be able to help you Bro. LOL! Great job Doc!

Rom, thanks, actually just have been in a shiny sort of mood. I finished the year with quite a few rusty jobs, and then started 2011 with a couple more, so I needed to swing back and enjoy a few shiny paint jobs. Don't worry, eventually I will get too tired and stressed with these shiny paint jobs and come on back.

The only way Donn can hold me hostage is if he keeps feeding me these Primanti Bros. sandwiches! :lol:

menu_suburban_cover.jpg

In no way shape or form would I take someone's wife as a hostage .... I have enough women in my life , thank you very much ! Lmao !

As for the gloss .... One at a time , one at a time , it just keeps creepin' into the soul and don't let go !

Psst ! Hey Doc , look what's in this greasy brown bag ! Mmmmmn! Primantis! Smells so delicious ! Lol !

Man, I'd have about five of those sandwiches right about now, with the fries tacked in them for good measure.

I also happened to buy the best chocolates in your town, Donn. I guess people in Pittsburgh sure do know how to eat.

My other favorite sandwich places is on the West Coast at Phillipe's, roast beef with dip. Oh man . . . I am salivatin'!

Hey doc the van looks great! You've made some real progress, when's the last time I came on here, haha. You make more progress having the flu then I do on a good day, haha, looks good all smoothed. I'm excited to see it all finished, any plans for the interior?

Doc,

Believe it or not , I found a place that has even better sandwiches , same premise , better ingredients !

Mike ,

Nice photo work ! Doc's blue Cobra graced the shop for a day or so . The difference between the photos and it sitting in front of you ? Light years ! The color dance is just plain nuts when it is viewed in person !

Whoa Dude...Far Out Man......

VAN.jpg

I don't know how you do that, Mike, but you got the bling to pop through. And to think that only has one coat of clear on there. I can't wait to get 3 or 4 more on there and get it really shiny.

I still have to add a few more graphics though. I'm feeling it now . . . stay tuned in for more.

Doc,

Believe it or not , I found a place that has even better sandwiches , same premise , better ingredients !

Mike ,

Nice photo work ! Doc's blue Cobra graced the shop for a day or so . The difference between the photos and it sitting in front of you ? Light years ! The color dance is just plain nuts when it is viewed in person !

Thanks, Donn. I can't wait for it to get back here to the Lab-RAT-ory so that I can wrap it up and move on . . . I don't know how you paint so many cars, but I get a little loopy after a while. I feel like I've been swimming a vat of gloss paint for the last month. Lining 'em up one build at a time . . . saving some for a rainy day.

Hey doc the van looks great! You've made some real progress, when's the last time I came on here, haha. You make more progress having the flu then I do on a good day, haha, looks good all smoothed. I'm excited to see it all finished, any plans for the interior?

Thanks, Jason. Nah, no interior on this one, but there will be a groovy curtain behind the seats . . . maybe the next one I will remove the top so that I can build an interior and show it off.

I don't know how you do that, Mike, but you got the bling to pop through. And to think that only has one coat of clear on there. I can't wait to get 3 or 4 more on there and get it really shiny.

I still have to add a few more graphics though. I'm feeling it now . . . stay tuned in for more.

I just found what you put in the picture...

It really takes me longer to upload to PB than to tweak the pictures. What the extra clear will do is give it depth....MORE!!!!

This van is single handedly going to bring back the 70s. I have to confess I like it a lot more than VANTASY . . . but I think having both is a good thing.

I meant the Revell kit, NOT my model. LOL!

Although suddenly I have a new for it: BONG!

Da BONG VAN! I like it! :lol:

Edited by Dr. Cranky

Mike ,

Thanks , I well know. I met Doc and saw his sweeet Mercs and the reptile 32 with water droplets up close and I had to see if I could bring out the good Dr's work...pictures do not always tell the truth...the story mabey........

Thanks, Mike. Well, you'll be happy to know that the bling is on this van now. Tomorrow I will shoot it with 3 coats of DuPont Clear, then sand and buff and spit shine, and I am ready to finish building it. Got all the parts cleaned up on the chassis and interior and will have it in primer some time tomorrow. We'll see how this one will look in the sun. Thanks for all the comments and supports, folks. I appreciate them.