Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 Ford circa 1970

Gluhead

I wasn't going to buy anymore kits until I finished a few more projects, but it was pretty hard to resist a new '57 Ford when my brother called me up and said "Hey, I'm headed to Hobby Lobby with the wifey and we've got an extra 40% off coupon." Since the nearest one is an hour away, how could I not? Can't do much painting anyway, 'til the weather is more friendly, and I want to hack on one of these a bit. :P

1957Ford_Gas_mockup_01-vi.jpg

1957Ford_Gas_mockup_02-vi.jpg

Yeah, I know...the art of self-delusion, right? Ah well. I try. :D

Yep, Cammer. It was the first thought I had when I read the kit was coming out, although I'll admit that I danced around several non-Ford alternatives before I finally decided to stick with it. I'll put anything in anything and not feel the slightest bit ashamed. Alright, that sounded bad. Yes, I'm still talking about engines. lol. It came down to this one, a blown Pontiac SD421, a tri-carb Olds 455, and a DOHC Hemi. My semi-conscious "backstory" for the car just ended up calling for the big Ford. I'm betting that I build another one down the road with one of the others. It's very loosely based on the Riki Creiger '57.

I have several kit Cammers, but I wasn't completely happy with the rocker covers in any of them. I ended up smoothing out the pair from a Polar Lights funny car and replacing the fins. The block, front cover and pan are from the '33 Willys. Intake is, if I remember right, from a '69 Torino kit. Carbs from a T-Bolt, and the Toploader from the '66 Fairlane.

1957Ford_Gas_mockup_04-vi.jpg

1957Ford_Gas_mockup_05-vi.jpg

Thanks, Ron. I've been watching yours as well.

One more engine mockup shot that I forgot to post the other day. Nice thing about using the Willys' SOHC block is that its motor mounts line right up with those in the '57. A little trimming on each to fit them together and set the engine height, and that part was all done. Just need to make a spacer for the tranny snout to hold the motor at a slight incline instead of a severe one. I should also note that I clearanced the tranny hump about as much as the existing plastic allowed. Fortunately, it was just enough.

1957Ford_Gas_engine_10-vi.jpg

I need to get the frame in shape before I get too far ahead of myself on the engine. Typical cart-before-the-horse BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH that comes along with making stuff fit. Change one thing and it all snowballs. :P

1957Ford_Gas_chassis_01-vi.jpg

1957Ford_Gas_chassis_02-vi.jpg

1957Ford_Gas_chassis_05-vi.jpg

Here's where I'm at right now. I wanted to ditch the lower halfs of the inner fenders. The way the kit is designed, it has a full firewall behind the inner fenders. Really nice...especially when they were kind enough to include the lower part of the firewall/frame body mounts in the floor plate engraving. I've left them in place while I removed everything ahead of them, and will build the missing upper portions from sheet stock.

1957Ford_Gas_chassis_07-vi.jpg

1957Ford_Gas_chassis_08-vi.jpg

Yeah, I know...the art of self-delusion, right? Ah well. I try. :D

Yep, Cammer. It was the first thought I had when I read the kit was coming out, although I'll admit that I danced around several non-Ford alternatives before I finally decided to stick with it. I'll put anything in anything and not feel the slightest bit ashamed. Alright, that sounded bad. Yes, I'm still talking about engines. lol. It came down to this one, a blown Pontiac SD421, a tri-carb Olds 455, and a DOHC Hemi. My semi-conscious "backstory" for the car just ended up calling for the big Ford. I'm betting that I build another one down the road with one of the others. It's very loosely based on the Riki Creiger '57.

I have several kit Cammers, but I wasn't completely happy with the rocker covers in any of them. I ended up smoothing out the pair from a Polar Lights funny car and replacing the fins. The block, front cover and pan are from the '33 Willys. Intake is, if I remember right, from a '69 Torino kit. Carbs from a T-Bolt, and the Toploader from the '66 Fairlane.

1957Ford_Gas_mockup_04-vi.jpg

1957Ford_Gas_mockup_05-vi.jpg

wow, they certainly spent some time making the molds for the Holley carbs in that t-bolt kit, best castings I've ever seen of these from a major manufacturer.

anyone that wants a proper looking Holley on their model should be using these if they can't find a good set from a resin caster.

A little more progress...you'd think these little mounts would be easy (at least I thought they would be). They fought me like crazy. lol. One of those things that'll rarely get noticed, but I'll know.

1957Ford_Gas_chassis_09-vi.jpg

1957Ford_Gas_chassis_10-vi.jpg

1957Ford_Gas_chassis_11-vi.jpg

May seem right out in the open from this vantage point, but by the end they'll be all but hidden by the headers.

1957Ford_Gas_chassis_12-vi.jpg

Nice work so far. I like the work you did on the cammer's front cover. I did some similar work on mine for my 53 Ford but didn't go as far as you. Looking at yours I may gi back and redo mine using yours as a reference. Also, great work on those front body mounts. Too bad they won't be able to be seen clearly in the end.

Later-

• 1 month later...