Model Cars Magazine Forum

What should you primer?

Yes. I primer everything. Primer is a good last check for imperfections on your parts prior to your final paint coat. It's also necessary to protect the plastic if you use automotive lacquers like Duplicolor. I use a lot of those. The only time I don't use primer is on small bits that are being painted black or flat black like starters or wheel backs.

I primer every single part. Even the small stuff. It makes a huge difference when it comes time to paint. Paint will cover over primer a lot better than bare plastic. Especially, if the plastic hasn't been sanded completely. Of course,there's no rule that states you have to do it that way. Do what works best for you.

Generally, I prime just about everything. Large parts get a very light scuff with 600-grit sandpaper prior to priming. I use sandable primer, usually Plasti-Kote, and I sand parts that I can sand safely (based on size) during priming. I always try to have a smooth coat of primer prior to paint.

As Tom said, it's also a good way to find things you might have missed, like small sinks, seams, and so forth.

Charlie Larkin

I primer everything except the glass and chrome that I don't strip.

Bare plastic is a horrible surface for paint because it is non-porous and has no "tooth". The solvents in primer bite into the plastic and give the paint a good porous surface to grab on to.

Edited by Nitro Neil

Like Charlie I liked the Plasti-kote primer, but since the supply has disappeared in my area, I've gone to Duplicolor. I like the primer gray, DS-39 in the short can, the primer gray in the tall can is the same. The local Ollies had a ton of Duplicolor last year at a buck a can. I bought all the primer, clear and primary colors!