Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hubley GMC Semi

AzTom

I did this one several months ago.

It is a 50's Hubley truck that had been painted with a brush and well played with. It is about 1/20 scale.

As Found,

HubChevyFlatbedF-vi.jpg

Paint removed and painted with a Self-Etching primer. A must when doing the diecast.

HubleyCOEpnt-vi.jpg

The Cab airbrushed with acrylic blue and clear coated a few times.

IMG_6393-vi.jpg

The head light lens are from the Hubly 32 Chevy kit. I bare metal foiled the bumper and used that "Rub on chrome" for the grill and hood trim. That was for comparison, figured I could always BM over the grill later.

IMG_6411-vi.jpg

I'll post some more tomorrow.

Thanks.

This was the first time I had used that Createx paint but won't be my last. That stuff goes on so easy and clean up is a cinch. I don't think you could mess it up spraying it on if you tried.

One of the Dolly wheels is missing so made a mold and resin cast those.

IMG_6643-vi.jpg

Buford mounting the tires after painting the rims.

IMG_6752-vi.jpg

The trailer painted up and going back together.

IMG_6795-vi.jpg

Wood planking on the deck

IMG_7589-vi.jpg

IMG_7593-vi.jpg

AzTom

I wonder if you've ever paid any attention to what some of these old toys are worth to collectors?

Obviously, you are free to do whatever you want to do, and if that means reworking old pressed steel toys, that's perfectly fine. But I have seen several instances on "Antiques Roadshow" where toys very similar to the ones you rework were worth thousands! And of course, repainting them or in any way altering their originality instantly takes away any collectible value they may have.

Again... I'm not saying that what you're doing is wrong. I'm just curious if the potential value of the toys as collectibles is something you've ever considered.

Thanks Guys,

Harry, It would be great if the Roadshow was in touch with reality,lol. I am quite aware of the value of these, I have been collecting them for over 45 years and most of the ones I'm modifying I also have new in the box or at least very nice ones. I have been selling off a lot of them over the past six years, you got one of them.

I had a 700+ lot toy auction and a few hundred toys in a another auction just before leaving Ohio. I still have several thousand to play with. :P

Thanks for your concern though.

When I get to the end of this one you will see it was "Priceless" :)

Stay tuned

Wow that turned out beautiful . I wish they made toys like that for kids today instead The cheap plastic toys and lousy computer games. I would have thought I had the world if someone would have giving me one as a kid. The best I had was a Hess truck every Christmas,

Edited by hotrod59f100

Thank You Everyone!

I'll post the build of 55 Chevy Delivery next.

Btw in general how does the mod podge clear work. I've never seen it used on models and paint before?

This was the first time I had used and was very pleased with how smooth it went on and it dried fast.

Thanks.

This was the first time I had used that Createx paint but won't be my last. That stuff goes on so easy and clean up is a cinch. I don't think you could mess it up spraying it on if you tried.

this is a great looking toy. where can i get rub on chrome. i have heard of it but have not tried it and would like to.

Manny

Edited by jerseyjunker1

this is a great looking toy. where can i get rub on chrome. i have heard of it but have not tried it and would like to.

Manny

Thanks for the kind words, I love redoing these old things.

I won mine at the famous Dessert Scale Classic model show a few years ago. I found this on ebay and looks to be the same type of chrome. http://www.ebay.com/itm/MGM-PRIMER-SPECIAL-CHROME-Electroplating-MAGIC-POWDER-FOR-GUNDAM-MG-HG-PG-/140779957196?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c723abcc

The grill on my truck was done over the blue so it is not as bright as it should be.

I did the trunk of an Ertl 1/18 car and it was a great mirror finish.

Tom

Thanks for the kind words, I love redoing these old things.

I won mine at the famous Dessert Scale Classic model show a few years ago. I found this on ebay and looks to be the same type of chrome. http://www.ebay.com/...=item20c723abcc

The grill on my truck was done over the blue so it is not as bright as it should be.

I did the trunk of an Ertl 1/18 car and it was a great mirror finish.

Tom

thank you for the link Tom i saved it . i will have to try it out.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if you've ever paid any attention to what some of these old toys are worth to collectors?

Obviously, you are free to do whatever you want to do, and if that means reworking old pressed steel toys, that's perfectly fine. But I have seen several instances on "Antiques Roadshow" where toys very similar to the ones you rework were worth thousands! And of course, repainting them or in any way altering their originality instantly takes away any collectible value they may have.

Again... I'm not saying that what you're doing is wrong. I'm just curious if the potential value of the toys as collectibles is something you've ever considered.

You will never believe this - I had some unbelievably valuable plastic kits, mint/boxed. And guess what I did with them? Now they are worth bugger all.

I wouldn't hesitate a second to do what Tom did to an old toy, especially if it turns out as nice as his effort did.

Albeit the values of modified toys will always trail the values of original minters, there now seems to develop an ever growing community of collectors who do cherish good restorations and even Code 3s. Lately I've seen prices of well made restorations and Code 3s surpass the prices of worn originals quite often. So the all-out puritanism among the toy collector crowd finally does seem to soften.

Junkman, you have that correct, and thanks.

For the most part, especially 50's more common toys like this Hubley, that are in poor condition will only get better if done nicely. The bottom line is, collectors want something that looks good sitting on the shelf.