Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari Dino 246 GT

The Creative Explorer

My latest project is this Ferrari, which isn't a Ferrari. The Dino 246 GT, it is from the Fujimi Enthusiast series and so far I think one of the better ones in that series, the general fit is better and still has lots of detail.

I only added a few little things, like wiring, seatbelts and flocking, most other stuff came right out of the box.

Dino020.jpg

Dino021.jpg

Dino022.jpg

Dino023.jpg

Dino024.jpg

Nice! I have a couple of friends that have ferraris(275 GTB and a Lusso). Some people in the Ferrari community are still questioning if a Dino is a Ferrari or not. Most accept the car as a Ferrari,but there are still a few that want to argue the point. To me, it is one of the most sexy Ferraris out there. I love this cars styling. This is art. Great build!

Nice! I have a couple of friends that have ferraris(275 GTB and a Lusso). Some people in the Ferrari community are still questioning if a Dino is a Ferrari or not. Most accept the car as a Ferrari,but there are still a few that want to argue the point. To me, it is one of the most sexy Ferraris out there. I love this cars styling. This is art. Great build!

As the story goes, Enzo Ferrari was committed to the fact that "a Ferrari is a 12-cylinder car."

"The "Dino" brand was created to market a lower priced, "affordable" sports car. The first brochure described the Dino as "almost a Ferrari". Ferrari intended to do battle in the marketplace with Porsche and its 911. The more expensive road going Ferrari V12's of the time were no match at their much higher price point. But Enzo did not want to diminish the Ferrari brand with a cheaper car, and so "Dino" was born."

I think the Dino is one of the coolest cars EVER! You've done a wonderful job on it, and I really love the colour. One of the things I like about Dino's is that they aren't all red. There was a beautiful one in Classic Cars a few months back that was ice white with a deep blue interior trim -- gorgeous. I'd love to hear more about the Enthusiast Model kit -- I have the regular Fujimi one, but I'd kind of like an engine...

As for the "is it a Ferrari?" question... does it really matter? It's a lovely car, whether it's a Fiat or a Ferrari. Personally, I WOULDN'T put a prancing horse on mine if I owned one, but if I owned one I'd still be a VERY happy man. (Mine would be Blu Dino or Giallo Fly, by the way...)

bestest,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

thank you all, I appreciate that you like the choice of color. it is, dare i say it, a Lamborghini color. I've seen a lot of red, yellow andblue Dinos, so I wanted something different, but would suit the gracious lines of the car.

there are detailled pictures of the engine and interior to be found on my website, www.firerods.com. go to the in progress gallery and click the Dino.

@meanyme: i think the tires are beautifully scaled and par on with the width. They just didnt had big fat tires as web have them today.

and is the Dino a Ferrari? ofcourse it is, and one of the most beautiful. it has a reason the car is named after his first born son.

@simonr: i'm sorry to hear that you are suffering, I actually build it in 2 weeks and that is very fast for me, especially if you take it in mind it is a enthusiast.

Very nice model and very well put together. Dinos came in all sorts of colors originally and then many have been repainted in all sorts of non-ferrari colors.

About if it is a Ferrari....well, technically it is not. Alfredino Ferrari, was Enzo's son, who expressed great interest in engines. Legend has it he had some involvement in the design of the V6 engine in the 1961 F1 "Sharknose". Unfortunately it is more of a fiction, but it makes for a good story. Anyway, Enzo Ferrari refused to make a rear engined street car and even less, one that had fewer than 12 cylinders. So the Dino was created as a separate brand to offer more affordable alternative to Ferraris. No Dino came out of the factory with a Ferrari badge or the name anywhere on it. The Dino 308GT/4 later on came out same way, but because of customer outcry in US, second half of the production came with prancing horse badges.