Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1932 Ford Boyd Coddington

fseva

I searched but could not find any reviews on this kit... I'm looking for a '32 street rod with a chopped top, that I could use with my Revell 32 Ltd Edition.

I haven't had any success with Jimmy Flintstone bodies - I tried 2 of them, and they both ended up in the garbage - the last one was all complete on the outside when I realized that the interior of my kit would not fit without major surgery - after doing my best to modify the interior, I gave up when I still couldn't get it to fit...

Edited by fseva

Old tooling , the body is not correct . That being said it is a chopped top body so it is not stock anyway. If you do a search for that car on here you can get a look at how they turn out.

Here is one for you that is done. http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=93163&hl=%2B32+%2Bford+%2Bchopped

Edited by 1930fordpickup

Old tooling , the body is not correct . That being said it is a chopped top body so it is not stock anyway. If you do a search for that car on here you can get a look at how they turn out.

Here is one for you that is done. http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=93163&hl=%2B32+%2Bford+%2Bchopped

Yes, I saw that one - it looks like it's been channeled.

I'm really looking for info on whether or not I could use the BC body with my Revell 32 LE...

Edited by fseva

The AMT Coddington '32 body shell suffers from the same problems as all the other AMT '32 Fords...it's too short (not tall enough) at the cowl and through the lower edge. The body is essentially 'sectioned'.

AMT%20382547%2032Fordexc.JPG

ANY of the AMT '32 body shells can be corrected to work very well on the excellent Revell chassis and guts, but it takes a little work. This is the old AMT '32 Victoria (same dimensional problems in front at the cowl) being corrected to work on the Revell underpinnings. Other than the cowl height, AMT bodies fit the Revell chassis and fenders quite well, as both companies got many dimensions right enough.

DSCN0584_zpsf5e5fe72.jpg

DSCN0594_zps77b85371.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The AMT Coddington '32 body shell suffers from the same problems as all the other AMT '32 Fords...it's too short (not tall enough) at the cowl and through the lower edge. The body is essentially 'sectioned'.

Ah, but this is NOT an "AMT" '32 Ford. It's basically the old MPC Switchers kit, now with a chopped top, as was the MPC "Milner's Coupe" kit. I don't think it suffers the same pre-sectioned problem as the AMT kits.

I don't know if this body will fit the rest of the Revell '32 parts, but I can tell you that the AMT '32 Vicky body will go right on the Switchers/Milner's/Coddington fenders with only the slightest bit of tweaking here and there, because I tried it and plan to build one that way as a drag gasser. In fact, I'm planning to do it Switchers-style, so I can switch off between the 5-window and the Vicky bodies. Cool, huh? B)

Ah, but this is NOT an "AMT" '32 Ford. It's basically the old MPC Switchers kit, now with a chopped top, as was the MPC "Milner's Coupe" kit. I don't think it suffers the same pre-sectioned problem as the AMT kits.

I don't know if this body will fit the rest of the Revell '32 parts, but I can tell you that the AMT '32 Vicky body will go right on the Switchers/Milner's/Coddington fenders with only the slightest bit of tweaking here and there, because I tried it and plan to build one that way as a drag gasser. In fact, I'm planning to do it Switchers-style, so I can switch off between the 5-window and the Vicky bodies. Cool, huh? B)

Look at the box-art photo...that's why I posted it. I know it's not based on the same tooling as the rest of the AMT '32 kits, but it still appears short at the cowl. Probably why, as you say, the AMT Victoria fits it pretty easily.

But I COULD be wrong about the cowl height on the Coddington version. I'll pull them all out and measure later today. B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

That separate roof would be a deal breaker for me.....in addition to the windows looking all wrong too.

Of course if someone doesn't know what a 32 really looks like,they probably wouldn't notice or care....

Edited by mike 51

ANY of the AMT '32 body shells can be corrected to work very well on the excellent Revell chassis and guts, but it takes a little work. This is the old AMT '32 Victoria (same dimensional problems in front at the cowl) being corrected to work on the Revell underpinnings. Other than the cowl height, AMT bodies fit the Revell chassis and fenders quite well, as both companies got many dimensions right enough.

Excellent - that's exactly what I wanted to know! Thanks, Ace!

Edited by fseva

DSCN0584_zpsf5e5fe72.jpg

Hey, Ace... just thought of something you probably would know about this particular "fix"... It looks to me as if the door is too short, and yet, it doesn't look as if he has attempted to rescribe the bottom line...

Look at the box-art photo...that's why I posted it. I know it's not based on the same tooling as the rest of the AMT '32 kits, but it still appears short at the cowl. Probably why, as you say, the AMT Victoria fits it pretty easily.

But I COULD be wrong about the cowl height on the Coddington version. I'll pull them all out and measure later today. B)

I looked again, and the first thing I noticed was that the door goes all the way to the bottom of the body (top of frame)...

Here is one in primer that I've been working on. I think it still makes a decent looking hot rod.

coupe006-vi.jpg

And this is the Coddington? Looks like the doors go all the way to the bottom, which is not the case with the other 32 fords mentioned here. I say it looks right on!

No the Revell and MPC doors all "end" at the sill (not the frame)...Bill's not finished fixing the AMT Vicky body, that's why the door "ends" too early.

You might want to Google some pics of real 32's so you know what they are supposed to look like...

Edited by mike 51

Hey, Ace... just thought of something you probably would know about this particular "fix"... It looks to me as if the door is too short, and yet, it doesn't look as if he has attempted to rescribe the bottom line...

Yeah, seein' as how it's me doin' the "fix", I'm kinda aware of that. :)

No the Revell and MPC doors all "end" at the sill (not the frame)...Bill's not finished fixing the AMT Vicky body, that's why the door "ends" too early.

You might want to Google some pics of real 32's so you know what they are supposed to look like...

Like the man said... :D

While looking at the box art, notice the difference in height between the cowl and the hood, since this body didn't come with a stock hood to my knowledge, the hood in the kit may be robbed from the AMT kit and it shows that this body is closer to correct than the old style AMT Deuces were.

While looking at the box art, notice the difference in height between the cowl and the hood, since this body didn't come with a stock hood to my knowledge, the hood in the kit may be robbed from the AMT kit and it shows that this body is closer to correct than the old style AMT Deuces were.

Ah yes, but if you look at the character line on the hood relative to the body, it's up too high. Looks like the hood was aligned improperly due to the decal being placed wrong, and rather than fix it, they just kinda fudged.

That's why I was gonna actually measure...once I find the Coddy body shell. :D

OK...I measured all the kits, side by side.

Drum-roll please...

The Coddington / MPC switchers (including the phaeton AND sedan-delivery versions as well) dimension between the bottom of the character line and the sill (at the front edge of the cowl) is halfway between the same dimension on the Revell '32 kits and the "sectioned" AMT kits.

I'll measure a real original '32 Ford tomorrow at the shop and let you know which one of the 3 scales out correctly for 1:25. B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Ah yes, but if you look at the character line on the hood relative to the body, it's up too high. Looks like the hood was aligned improperly due to the decal being placed wrong, and rather than fix it, they just kinda fudged.

That's why I was gonna actually measure...once I find the Coddy body shell. :D

Thanks, that would be excellent. But isn't what you said about the different bodies kinda what I said? I just didn't dig into the shop to get all the different bodies out, I was just "eyeball engineering" them.

OK. I measured a REAL original '32 Ford roadster today. At the cowl, from the underside of the character line to the bottom of the body sill, it measures 23.75". So does an original Tudor sedan, and a cabriolet.

Revell '32 roadster: .951", or about 23.77 scale inches. Pretty darn close.

MPC Coddington, phaeton and sedan delivery: .873", or about 21.82 scale inches. About 2 scale inches short, right?

AMT '32 Fords: .798", or about 19.95 scale inches. Almost 4 scale inches too short at the cowl, accounting for the "sectioned" look.

PLEASE NOTE: The MPC kits are "sectioned" about 2 scale inches also.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good. Clever way to get a chopped 5-window without having to chop the Revell body.

Wow - thanks! But don't you guys do this kind of thing all the time? (BTW, I was lucky it was such a close fit... and that I had guys like you to reassure me before I even looked to buy another kit!) :wub:

Edited by fseva