Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16th 57 Chevy Turbo ProMod (03-14-13) Finished Bull-Horns with V-band clamps

Prostreet

Thx. Jeff, I have a couple paint questions guys. I want to do my headers to look like an even dark stainless color like in the pictures i posted, I'm going to use gloss black as the base then use Highly polished aluminum Alclad then hit that with Transparent yellow Alclad, Looking at one of Clay Kemps Tutorials that should give me the look i want. I noticed around the welds it looks blackish, What would be the best way to achieve this? I was thinking an acrylic black wash? but can i put that under the transparent yellow alclad?

NEWHEADERPAINT-vi.jpg

Edited by Prostreet

Joe...those headers are going to look great man. I am trying to think back on the tutorial that Clay did on one of the tamiya motorcycles, it was an awesome tutorial...what if you did a wash with their black base and thining it with lacquor thinner. Not sire if that would worl better. But i would do what Bill suggested and try on a scrap piece to see if it gives yoi the resilt you want. Cant wait to see the up dates.

Little update, I have the decals on one header. Tommarrow night i will give it a light coat to seal the decals before paint and start doing the decals on the other header. I also mounted my MSD box on the frame with a piece of styrene with carbon decal and dzus fasteners from Scott and the main plug that all the wires will run to on the firewall, I still have to scratch build a coil and a MSD Mag, i also have a resin fuel pump i want to start on so i can complete the fuel system. Here's a couple pictures of the headers with the decals before prime them.

003-vi.jpg

004-vi.jpg

006-vi.jpg

005-vi.jpg

Thx. Guys, I laid down the Alclad high polish tonight, Can't really get a good picture of it. Going to lay down the Transparent yellow tommarrow after work, I will try my best to get a decent picture of it. Looks way better in person, I like how easy the Alclad is to use, I ordered some more.

003-vi.jpg

Thx. Guys, Well stage 2 didn't go as i hoped. There to dark and look to gold, Not really sure what i can do about that at this point. I was thinking maybe hit them with some dull coat would help, not sure what to do to the welds either. Any insight or ideas from you guys would be cool, I should have left them the polished color. If i have to strip them i'm sure they will get messed up, Might have to toss this in a box and let it sit for a while.

007-vi.jpg

Joe....I personally think they would be fine and they look cool. I have seen dragsters with all kinds of different colored headers.

Just imagine they have an experimental combo coating of teflon impregnated gold and titanium to keep engine compartment heat down, resist corrosion and improve exhaust flow?? Not to mention they would probably run 30K per set.

If all else fails, could you break out the brush? You could possibly tone them down with flat aluminum almost dry on a paintbrush, then follow with other colors and blend? Just thinking out loud....