Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Class of 2012 Completions

Bernard Kron

Here’s my “Class of 2012”, 9 in all in a year where I started a lot more but got a lot fewer done…. I had two waiting on the bench for completion when I cruised into the .holiday season and caught a nasty head cold. Oh well, now they’re on my NNL West 2013 list. I hope to see some of you there.

All my very best to you all for the New Year and, as always, thanx for lookin’,
B.

V12 Lakes Style Modified
DSCF9178--b-web.jpg
DSCF9194-web.jpg

Deuces: A Pair
DSCF9640-web-pair.jpg
DSCF9641-web.jpg
DSCF9612-web.jpg
DSCF9623-web.jpg

’34 Ford 3-Window SnapTite
DSCF9852-SnapTite-web.jpg
DSCF9806-web.jpg

Thanx everyone! I'm glad you all enjoyed them. :)B)

2012 was a weird year for me when it comes to completed projects. I easily started another half dozen that are still waiting to be done. Some, like a lakes belly tanker which is about 65% built from scratch, will require quite a bit of care and patience to get right, but others, like a '51 Chevy hardtop and a '40 Ford Sedan Delivery at year's end, were purposely designed to be simple projects that placed the emphasis on improving my skills in fit and finish. Both of those projects landed up waylaid by a Holiday season cold I caught and will hopefully be done quickly in the next few weeks... We'll see...

Other "supposedly simple" projects that were arbitrarily halted were a '57 Corvette gasser and a '37 Ford sedan, both of them paint experiments. Even though the paint part actually went quite well, I suddenly just boxed them and put them away. But they were part of an important bit of progress I made on the paint front this year.

I also collaborated with a friend on a full custom that fell victim to a mutual case of Builders Block. We got started in the middle of the year and then it just sort of faded... I have vowed to see it completed in 2013!!!

And some projects, mainly based on resin bodies or full-scratch building ideas, never made it past initial mockups, photos and sketches. I'm sure we're all too familiar with that drill!!

But the weirdest thing about 2012 was that almost all my completions were projects I started not actually intending to finish them at this time, or at least they weren't "top of mind" when I started them. Take, for example, my first completion for 2012, the little V-12 powered modified. I have to admit it was built "under duress" after a modeling buddy did such a fine job on his Lincoln powered '25 T coupe as a theme build for last year's NNL and insisted I join him (he even surprised me by making a little display pedestal .for both our models). He said he was building a "Salt Flats racer" and I was having a hard time getting a mental picture of what on earth that could be. But I work well under deadline pressures so things came out OK, after all.

Similarly, I started on the Dragmaster IV because I’m an active member of a vintage drag racing modeler’s forum and yet hadn’t posted a project there for nearly a year! I landed up not only rolling out the Dragmaster but following up with Mr. Eliminator as well.

About the only model from last year that had been on any long-term list was the '27 T Lo-Boy. That Jimmy Flintstone resin and some interior bits had been kicking around on my bench for at least 3 years now. 2012 was at last the year when I had the chops to get her done.

But otherwise most of the other completions were supposed "casual builds" that were originally intended to be short term projects that somehow grew more elaborate and serious once I got into them. Once again, I'm sure we're all too familiar with that drill!!

Anyway, thanx to you all here on the forum for helping me with the tips and inspiration, creativity and insight, that all contributed to making 2012 an enjoyable modeling year for me, one that I feel saw me move another step along the way in getting closer to expressing the "pictures in my head".

Have a great 2013!

Thanx for lookin',
B.

Edited by Bernard Kron

Thanx again guys! It didn't feel like that much of a year but looking back now I think it was OK, after all. I think that's what I like about these end of year "look-backs", they give you some perspective. And I really enjoy looking at everybody else's "look-backs"!

Edited by Bernard Kron