Model Cars Magazine Forum

CAT D11 bulldozer 06-21-15 update

I missed this blog until this morning. Outstanding custom and conversion work on this CAT. It's esp cool that you're painting it with CAT colors too

Thank you Ed. It will be awhile before it's complete. I started making the assembly for a single shank ripper. Hopefully I'll have it posted in the next few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

During the month of April, I concentrated on building the ripper.

Here’s all the assembled parts for the ripper:

IMG_1792_zpsvjrx8t3o-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

A quick mock-up:

IMG_1793_zpsawhgrkva-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_1794_zpsniaiw6ln-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Mounting brackets for ripper cylinders:

IMG_1796_zpskiuex7z2-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

With primer applied:

IMG_1797_zpspyyt2irq-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_1798_zpsr7t7jjb8-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

With these parts completed, the hydraulic cylinders are next…

Edited by Tesla

Dang Dennis that is cool B) What is the Bruder plastic like to cut and sand on ? I may just have to get me one of these ;)

Thanks Dave. The Bruder plastic is great to work with. It’s stiffer than styrene. No problems cutting and sanding. In fact, cutting it is easier than styrene.

My friend,... You've been busy. Awesome work. This will be a build for the books man. That ripper looks great.

Thank you so much Clayton. I can’t believe how fast a day goes by when working on this. When it comes to being busy, you’ve got me beat :D

Outstanding work. A true artist. I did not know Bruder Do was 1/25 scale. Been looking for something for my 1/24 heavy mover for ages.

Thank you Charles. Actually this dozer is 1/16 scale. It replicates a dozer (not sure which one) that’s smaller than a D11. I used the dimensions of a D11 and the actual dimensions of the model dozer, did the math and found that it scales out real close to a D11 ;)

Dennis,

You are raising the bar. And you will have a one of a kind model when you are done!

Be Well

Gator

Thank you for the kind words Marc! I'm glad I purchased a D11 parts manual. It's been a great resource for information :)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! The work on that ripper is impressive my friend. I definitley like seeing scratchwork on equipment, almost better than the trucks.

Thank you Terry. Right now I'm working on the hydraulic cylinders. When those are complete, I'll post an update.

• 2 weeks later...

The hydraulic cylinders are now built, installed and functional. Plastruct tubing and K & S aluminum tubing was used. The plan is to make all the hydraulic fittings and hoses…

IMG_1812_zpsywangrij-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_1819_zpskrbszw7h-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_1820_zpsghceoxeq-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_1814_zpswqp3wqvh-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_1815_zpsxjreaxny-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_1816_zpscmtwweck-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_1817_zpsactiirxv-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I’ve been thinking about how I can detail the operator station:

IMG_1818_zpsqb6afy71-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by Tesla

Outstanding work.

My humble 2cents, I'd give it a light weathering and some minor grime in the gears, and mud in the treads. But I have 0 complaints if you leave it "factory fresh"...

Thank you Charles. I'm definitely contemplating a light weathering as you mentioned :)

Simply Amazing! You are a true craftsman.

Thank you Brian :D

• 2 weeks later...