Model Cars Magazine Forum

What are the chances Modelhaus will find a buyer for their business?

How DEEP are YOUR pockets???

Finding someone with their skills and ethics might be even harder to find than the $$. Their competition is already minimal and they aren't the only casters who are at or near retirement ages. It's not a hobby type business either.....a friend of mine has done many of Don's masters but he has zero interest in going into the casting business, just for an example.

Edited by mike 51

Finding someone with their skills and ethics might be even harder to find than the $$. Their competition is already minimal and they aren't the only casters who are at or near retirement ages. It's not a hobby type business either.....a friend of mine has done many of Don's masters but he has zero interest in going into the casting business, just for an example.

Yes, I would think it would be a full time job for a skilled caster or two given the size of their catalog and presumed volume of business..

One of the reasons I'm trying to stock-pile as much as possible. I have a lot of restoration projects that need little odds and ends and I plan on acquiring it all, plus another few kits.

I'm hoping someone truly worthy (or a few people pooling talent and/or resources) steps up and keeps a critical business going, assuming their other two kids or some other succession plan is in place.

Charlie Larkin

I've "heard" that Don is questioning whether or not anyone who may "buy" the business will have the same commitment as they have to produce the quality products and level of service that they are and have been putting out, based on their extensive catalog as Rob said.

I heard it through the grape vine that a group of investors are looking at purchasing the business. A local guy that I cast for thinks I should put my hat in the ring. He thinks my casting is that good. But.....my pockets are not that deep. If I really had lots and lots of money....well maybe I would give it a try. I'm most certain that moving a business like that here to Arizona would be a huge undertaking too.

It will be hard for anyone to do this work without training. They may need to spend a year to become familiar with all the tooling and shows they attend.

As far as a value that would be one tough cookie to figure out. To many variables.

There is a large group that does casting in Detroit that can handle the extra work, they would just need to go full time.

Edited by 1930fordpickup

One of the reasons I'm trying to stock-pile as much as possible. I have a lot of restoration projects that need little odds and ends and I plan on acquiring it all, plus another few kits.

Charlie, if many more hobbyists do that, you may have to wait until 2017 to get the orders filled! :)

And then, it might be too late for all of us! :(

I wonder what their backlog is, since announcing their retirement??? :unsure:

Edited by fseva

I think that if someone is chosen, they will most certainly be up to the task; with all the pride, integrity & dedication to the hobby that Don has put into Modelhaus; it won't be just handed over for a few bucks.

Edited by Krazy Rick

I think that if someone is chosen, they will most certainly be up to the task; with all the pride, integrity & dedication to the hobby that Don has put into Modelhaus; it won't be just handed over for a few bucks.

Except that Modelhaus has no real inventory - they make to order - which means that the only things being sold are the business-name and the instructions on how to make their parts and kits. That should not cost very much (comparatively). In fact, that could even be a reason why the business might not be put up for sale in the first place... :unsure:

Edited by fseva

Except that Modelhaus has no real inventory - they make to order - which means that the only things being sold are the business-name and the instructions on how to make their parts and kits. That should not cost very much (comparatively). In fact, that could even be a reason why the business might not be put up for sale in the first place... :unsure:

...?

Wouldn't the molds count as assets for sale?

Mold-making and casting tools?

Masters, in case replacement molds need to be made?

Seems like those would all be worth a bit of coin...

They have all kinds of masters from tiny parts to bodies....those are far more likely to be sold than the name or "instructions" (?).

What are those masters worth? They'd only be worth "alot" in the form of a turn key business, and I doubt that will be the case.

Who said the business was for sale anyway? I assumed the 2 year advisory they gave was to inform us that they were ending the venture.

Your comments seem odd fseva since you've apparently never seen let alone purchased any of their products.....

Edited by mike 51

Some people have zero clue how much work, integrity, and kindness come from Don and Carol. You cannot pay for the kind of reputation they've busted tail doing for the last 20-25 years.

Their recent tragic loss of their son just makes it seem so unfair. Don and Carol are awesome people, smart, hardworking in several different professional lives.

Fseva, buy a few kits of theirs, and you may learn the difference between cost and value. I personally doubt you ever will, but don't denegrate the business of the Holthaus family or it's value unless you've done similarly.

This business will be hard to replace, or sustain at the level of commitment of Don and Carol. No matter what, I wish them peace and happiness. The success was all their doing.

Some people have zero clue how much work, integrity, and kindness come from Don and Carol. You cannot pay for the kind of reputation they've busted tail doing for the last 20-25 years.

Their recent tragic loss of their son just makes it seem so unfair. Don and Carol are awesome people, smart, hardworking in several different professional lives.

Fseva, buy a few kits of theirs, and you may learn the difference between cost and value. I personally doubt you ever will, but don't denegrate the business of the Holthaus family or it's value unless you've done similarly.

This business will be hard to replace, or sustain at the level of commitment of Don and Carol. No matter what, I wish them peace and happiness. The success was all their doing.

Very well said...

Anyone looking to purchase the business would need to ask them selves what they are actually getting. They would need to find out if all the moulds need to be replaced, whether the masters would be included in the sale and even if the business is actually for sale.

From the waiting time for the orders, it sounds like the business it too big an operation for one person to manage. It would make sense to get a group of like minded individuals together to make the purchase assuming the business is for sale.

Each investor would probably need several thousand dollars and the casting and mastering skills to create new designs. They would also need to have small business and marketing skills. They would also have to work from a central location in order to maximise efficiency. Everything would need to be done in house. I have no doubt there are people capable of the task but its a question of whether any of them would be willing to take on the responsibility.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

...?

Wouldn't the molds count as assets for sale?

Mold-making and casting tools?

Masters, in case replacement molds need to be made?

Seems like those would all be worth a bit of coin...

Yes, I hadn't thought of the molds... :o