Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '37 Chevy Coupe

Stevearado

This is the current release of the AMT 1937 Chevrolet Coupe which is being distributed through Stevens International. I found my example at my LHS, and was drawn in by the nostalgic box art. I'll give some in-box information on the kit.

stv38556.jpg

Kit

The kit consists of 10 sprues (1 clear, 2 Chrome, and 7 white plastic) which are packed among 7 bags. Another bag contains 2 sets of tires, a metal axle, and transparent red piece. The glass is packed separately in a bubble wrap pouch. The clear sprue contains headlights, and a clear custom hood. The parts are packed, and one will need a lot of luck getting them back in once taken out. This is a 3 in 1 kit, and contains loads of extra parts including Cragar wheels, extra grill, bumpers, and other parts for the parts box. Also, there are two complete engines with this kit; a stovebolt 6 cylinder, and a 427 V8.

Body

Inspection of the body showed that little cleanup is needed compared to other AMT kits. The fenders are separate, and dry fitting showed promising fit. On the body, there are noticeable mold lines that run the C pillar from the drip molding to the fender. Also, there is a hole on the passenger side just in front of the rear fender that will need filled if the custom gas filler cap is not used.

37chevybodyly9.jpg

So far, the kit looks good. I will add an update after I build the kit.

what parts are those? i may have them from an older issue. i THOUGHT the kit had all the previous parts in it...

i have built a few of these and always (ALWAYS) have issues getting the running boards snug to bottom of body... resorted to cutting them off the frame and gluing them directly to fenders last time.

NEXT one i do will have better glass in it; the kit glass is too thick and doesn't fit well. it's tough to get the kit to look as good as the real car, which, for a chevy, is a pretty nice looking car.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...

Does anyone have pics of the inline six-cylinder engine included in this kit?

I've got a couple in the stash, I'll try to snap a few pics tonight if I can. It's decent for its day, has a few cool speed parts, like a really cool Offenhauser finned valve cover. Here's the instruction sheet page if it helps -

http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/instruction_sheetsh/instruction_sheets/amt/amt_1937_chevrolet/1937_chev_amt.html

I have probably had a dozen of these over the years, none of them had a decent fit between hood and grille

Never has, even first issues, and it's gotten worse...

Just to let the people know that complained about the running boards not fitting tight up against the body,on the real cars they didn't fit up against the body, there is an apron that "curls" up to the body from the running boards there is about a 3-5 inch space from the top of the boards to the bottom of the doors. the kit is right on in this issue.

• 1 year later...

I still have a '37 Chevy kit in my "stash" so I really don't know if I'll get another or not, especially at the rate that I build.

Me too. In fact I think I might have two. Always wanted to do one in blue metalflake with the clear hood tinted candy blue to match.

Come to think of it, this thread is making me want to actually DO it.

• Like 1

what parts are those? i may have them from an older issue. i THOUGHT the kit had all the previous parts in it...

i have built a few of these and always (ALWAYS) have issues getting the running boards snug to bottom of body... resorted to cutting them off the frame and gluing them directly to fenders last time.

NEXT one i do will have better glass in it; the kit glass is too thick and doesn't fit well. it's tough to get the kit to look as good as the real car, which, for a chevy, is a pretty nice looking car.

Again, comparing the parts of a model car kit that was tooled up over 50 years ago to any kit done nowadays is a bit disingenuous. AMT's '37 Chevy was done to a standard deemed essential for the then-young kids who were the staple of this hobby and the marketplace. In short, evolution of the plastic model car kit has been going on now for almost 60 years--most of the AMT and MPC kits that Round2 is repopping have roots older than today's average car modeler.

Art

Another one of those classic old AMT kits I love. I built the cabriolet again a few years ago. And I will be picking up the coupe when it hits the shelves. I love the way Round 2 reissues these old classics. The old style box art, and restoration of missing parts. I'm enjoying modeling more than ever.

Scott

• 2 months later...

AMT originated this kit about fall of 1967. A comparable convertible kit was also offered later . I have an old built one I disassembled someplace . Subsequent re issues lost a good many of the "Stock parts and I was told the Steven's International Private re -re issue restored the necessary stock pieces in 2007 or so . It's a nice kit given what engineers had then . The "Gasser " stuff was it's claim to fame when it first appeared , so look for the 427, Funny car axle , etc ............