Model Cars Magazine Forum

Well, Donn tells me it is almost done, but he's such a perfectionist. Anyway, I am in charge of sharing his eye candy with you which is always an honor and a heck of a lot of fun to be able to see what the Old Man is working on, and be among the first.

Enjoy . . . (and Donn, keep 'em coming, my friend, and stay out of the heat!)

I am sure he will chime in and describe the work in more detail.

IMG_4184-vi.jpg

IMG_4186-vi.jpg

IMG_4185-vi.jpg

IMG_4188-vi.jpg

IMG_4187-vi.jpg

Guess what? I like the SHINY :) :) :)

Now who would have known that ? Lol !

Hey ! Guys !

AMT 's ' 55 stepside kit , paint is Testors Competition Orange enamel , polished out with Novus 2 , no clear .

Parts box wheels and tires , M.A.S. steel tubing for fuel , brakeline and carb linkage . Detail Master wire and fittings . Frame and motor have been slightly weathered along with the bed slats .

Since I sent these photos to Doc , I've installed the mirrors , front turn signal , and taillights ! Still need to add tailgate chains and weather stripping around the windshield and rear cab glass . Still undecided as to whether or not I'm going to add the cab visor .

Try as I might , I couldn't get the glass to fit properly . Read on the Forum a bit later how others addressed the problem , typical of my luck ! Lol !

Other than the glass issue , this kit is a very good one with excellent possibilities when it comes to different building avenues . I don't believe this will be my last attempt at this kit !

LOOKS GREAT!! It will be interesting to see what you can come up with on the next one. Maybe a blown prostreet version detailed to the max?

Get outta my head ! Very scary place to venture into ! Lol !

Exactly what I was thinking , won't be for awhile though ! I have way too many projects going as it is . This hot weather has put me way behind on the customer orders too ! Real life keeps-getting in the way too . Don't ya just hate when that happens ! Lol !

Beautiful truck Donn. I really like the color. Question fer ya. I sent ya a PM a few days ago and haven't heard back as of today. Do you have time to read your PM's? It's about the enamel reducer we talked about at the BSAC model show. ;) Dan

Dan,

Sorry , brother ! Answer is no , haven't tried it out and probably won't until fall ! Can't seem to even get a window as of late where I can even get into the booth due to the heat .

I already made the decision to forego the fall softball season this year . Too far behind as it is ! I have at least 20 bodies and kits prepped and ready to go , just waiting for a couple of cool mornings with no humidity .

Another great build Donn!

But don't forget to correct the side windows on your next one ;) I think AMT corrected them on the '57s...

Ok ! Enlighten me cuz I evidently missed something here , Jeff ! I have no idea what you are referring to , my friend !

Ask around , my boy ! Syrup , son , pure syrup ! Lol !

No clear what so ever on this one , Mike ! Straight up Testors Competition Orange with a light polish out with the Novus 2 .

Your paint job came out so nice, maybe you could offer a few tips?? B)

Like you, I am waiting for some low humidity days to hit the spray booth and try to get some color on that stack of kits in the corner!

PS- I do hope you have picked up on my sarcasm, I have your DVDs and I think you have helped many improve their painting skills with them.

Thanks Donn. On the glass issue, just what is the problem with it? The glass looks fine or my old eyes are foolin me. :D Looks like I missed a thread or two about the glass issue. This truck looks great without any clear fer sure. I love the results that you get spraying enamel paint with Lacquer thinner. I still haven't gotten up the nerve to try it yet. But one day I will. Dan

Dan ,

It's the fit of the glass , there are gap issues involved . I sanded the edges to get a better fit , worked for the most part , rear window still has issues . Need to get my butt to Michaels and find some thick waxed thread .

Thanks to the Forum I know how to dodge this bullet on the next one . In the meantime , I have to practice CMA on this build . I won't show it in this condition ! Weather strip and tailgate chains are all that's left and then she's complete !

As for using the laquer thinner , C'mon in the water is fine ! Lol ! What's there to be afraid of ?