Model Cars Magazine Forum

More on the Uncertain Tee

So who decides which vintage kits have "had their time and place" ? I think one would be hard pressed to say any of these kits are current other than their reissue status. "Their time being passed" certainly seems to be what does indeed make them relevant. As for "Tom Danials kits VS Steve Scott's one kit, there are many other

one off kits on the market

amt-depth-charger-aqua-rod-car.jpg

It's up to whoever makes and markets the kit to decide if they're worth the effort. I have my opinions, and they're just that, but I did speak with someone from Revell who provided some insight as to which kits are perennial good sellers and why, so I factored that in when I formed my opinion.

Up until two months or so ago the Aqua Rod was $4.99 in Round2's own AutoWorld store, and the Royal Rail is still there for $4.99. Not exactly a sign of a sales success IMHO if you're dumping your own kits out the back door for a few pennies more than they cost to make. I think the whole retro reissue subject is very complex, with many factors contributing to sales success and/or failure, but I just don't see the Uncertain T having a wide ranging appeal. I can't explain why some show rods are timeless and others aren't, but I do see multiple vehicles and designs from Daniel, Roth, Starbird, Barris, Casper, etc.-- all of whom have enjoyed successful working relationships with Revell, Monogram, MPC, and AMT over the last 50 years.

Up until two months or so ago the Aqua Rod was $4.99 in Round2's own AutoWorld store, and the Royal Rail is still there for $4.99. Not exactly a sign of a sales success

Very true. Show cars haven't been great sellers. I imagine that those of us who remember them from our youth bought a copy but beyond that they've been poor sellers. For instance I have a Moonscope that a vendor donated to NNL East to use as a door prize last year. It's been on the door prize table for TWO shows and hasn't been given away! The other one I took home was a Barris T Buggy.

Still, if you look past the kit, and can pick them up cheap, there are a bunch of parts that can be useful. I have a few of that Barris T Buggy and am thinking of modding one of them into a front engine street rod. The Barris Surf Woody actually has a neat frame that I'm hoping to use under a street rod or two. And I like the frame under the Lil Stogie and want to do something neat with one of those as well.

I imagine that those of us who remember them from our youth bought a copy but beyond that they've been poor sellers.

I think that's exactly the case with most of the show rod type kits, including the two you mentioned. RC2 flooded the market with reissues like these, and you can still find them for $10 or less, almost ten years later. I also think your words "a copy" were quite accurate, in that people who do buy these are likely to only buy one kit, not multiple copies. I know I did exactly that with the Piranha and Barris Buggy since they both were cheap and I was willing to take a chance on some parts inside both.

Revell is going to continue to release show rods, but you really have to put some effort into letting them know what you want if it's not a kit in the regular rotation so to speak. Get the word out, post on their faceook page and ask others if they'd also like to see the Uncertain T return. You'll need to do most of the legwork yourself, but if you want it bad enough and can show Revell (or Round2, Moebius, etc.) that there is legitimate demand in sufficient numbers, you will at least get their attention.

Casey's link to the Coffin Corner explains a lot. Per my most recent contact with Steve ( last year ) he wants the Tee done up "right" in styrene. Not having had the kit since the 60's i dont know of any issues in the original. Steve acknowledges that he got hosed by Revell-o-gram, and will not contact them. He wants to find someone to do the kit for him. Based upon the "ballparked" figures, it would take 10000 kits at $25 a pop to break even. Not sure if that's feasible based upon the niche market for this.

This subject is sorta like the Jo Han threads, it keeps resurfacing! :lol:

Just a thought but for the numbers an outfit like Galaxie Limited might be interested in this a run of 10k is probably

too small for the bigger companies to consider.

bobthehobbyguy

I did'nt see much wrong with the kit, as it was done by Monogram in the first place. I would pay $25.00 for one today, or tomorrow. I guess I dont understand, when Steve says he wants it done up right, or how he was hosed by Revell. If Revell still has the molds. They should try to resolve the issue with Steve, if he has the copyrights. Possibly he should be open to a Deal with them that benefits everyone. Thats Business.

If Mr. Scott thinks he got hosed maybe he should look at what Revell did to Ed Roth. They took Roth's kits that he was getting (1 cent each) royalties on, moved them to non-domestic (U.S.) markets, changed their names and then cut Ed Roth out of the deal all together. That would be a pretty good definition of getting hosed in my book. Can Steve Scott come up with anything comparable to that?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the Uncertain Tee kitted by any maker who is willing to manufacture the kit to both the quality standards Monogram originally did; (plus maybe today's standards wouldn't be to bad either). In parts alone the Uncertain Tee is a great kit for anyone building traditional 60's hot rods, that nailhead is a beauty!

I think it was said somewhere else in this thread (maybe?) that the Monogram that "screwed" Steve is not the same Monogram(Revell) that exists today. All different faces, owners, work ethics, everything. So, holding a grudge is pretty dumb considering the people that "screwed" him are long gone.

The bottom line is that no matter how much it would make some of our fantasies come true, there is no way that there will ever be a new-tool Uncertain T produced by a model manufacturer. The best bet would be someone taking molds off of a minty kit and reproducing it in resin. Even that is unrealistic.

I think the best Steve is going to do is sell some of his autographed pictures for a few extra bucks a month and continue to fill his Facebook wall with a bunch of F.M.L. pissing and moaning about his bad health and empty bank account. I removed him from my friends list 'cause I got tired of hearing it and getting jerked off waiting to see some current-day photos of the car which is supposed to still exist.

• 1 month later...

Hello to all..

Searching E-bay.... I came across the Model Kit "Uncertain-T" .... Now this Great Rod was Built By Steve Scott's himself...

Well Steve Scott's is selling his "LAST" Personal Monogram Model Kit of the -T

I found this to be very Interesting...and believe that he will get his asking price....If i could afford it at this time to buy it my self..."I Would" !!!

:Now i know that you guys post the URL- (the link to the E-bay ad)....Well my ole-self just don't know how to do that....Sorry :(

So please do yourself a favor....Go to E-bay and search "Uncertain-T" under model kits..

Trust me it is worth the couple of min's to do so..

I feel the "Price is Right" but's that's me....For it is a Once in a Life Time to own such a "Model Kit"

Watch'a Think...

Thanks All..... Hope you all check this out.....Really Cool...

"Good Day"...Cheers To All

Don.

Um, he has also claimed with each eBay listing that it was his "last" kit. He somehow always finds more :huh: A number of months ago, he sold his "last kit" for about $650.00. Personally, I cannot justify that type of price and I do not like one bit that he keeps listing more as "the last." I've been on his facebook a bunch of times and he seems really greedy. He actually is/was looking for someone with deep pockets to pay for his move from Hawaii back to the mainland for him. He is also quite negative in nature and blames everyone for all of his woe's and sorrow's in life. He wont be seeing a thin dime from me.

Um, he has also claimed with each eBay listing that it was his "last" kit. He somehow always finds more :huh: A number of months ago, he sold his "last kit" for about $650.00. Personally, I cannot justify that type of price and I do not like one bit that he keeps listing more as "the last." I've been on his facebook a bunch of times and he seems really greedy. He actually is/was looking for someone with deep pockets to pay for his move from Hawaii back to the mainland for him. He is also quite negative in nature and blames everyone for all of his woe's and sorrow's in life. He wont be seeing a thin dime from me.

Well i am un-aware of the nature of Steve Scott...and if what you claim is True and Accurate....Then i stand behind ya..

Thanks for the Info...

But Still would be nice to have... "Only on the grounds"....That this is (and will be) his Last Personal Kit.....And i would have to have that on a Legal Forum..And if he was to Re-nig on the deal.....I would...... well you know B)

Cheers...Don

Isn't there a thread around here about the this kit and the dilemma of getting it done.

From what I remember, the molds exist and the deal fell through between the old Revellogram management and Scott.

And no, I am not that desperate for a kit I barely like.

From what I remember, the molds exist and the deal fell through between the old Revellogram management and Scott.

In the most recent issue of the 'other' mag, Tim Boyd says that the tooling was indeed scrapped in the late '70's. But who knows? They completely retooled a couple of the old Tom Daniel kits- maybe the same could happen for this.

In the most recent issue of the 'other' mag, Tim Boyd says that the tooling was indeed scrapped in the late '70's. But who knows? They completely retooled a couple of the old Tom Daniel kits- maybe the same could happen for this.

Maybe it could happen but I kinda don't think so. I don't know all the ins and outs but Steve is on record saying that he doesn't want "just royalties" and he doesn't want to work with Revell or AMT. How he figures to make the kit happen, I haven't a clue.