Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is a built model worth?

Pete J.

I myself have the opinion that a built model kit is not "art". Yes, there is a "art" to building the kit but to me it's not "art" in the same sense as a painting, sculpture, etc.....

To me somebody else's built kit is worth nothing because I did not build it. But then my built kits to me are worth nothing in a money sense, just the joy and satisfaction of building the kit.

This is an opinion that cannot be argued, for beauty and art are in the eye of the beholder!

I have sold numerous commissioned builds for 1k a pop. I had some I was thinning out on an auction site. One guy bid a 69 grumpys toy camaro to 1k then he wanted 4 more built. I did them over 8 months. Then I burned out. Having no creative input in the subjects over 8 months killed it for me. I have built a few mustangs for guys in my car club at 500 each too. It's all in what someone is willing to pay. If I'm happy and the end user is happy then that's the limit

That is another thing that those who do this strictly as a hobby don't understand. I have done some commissions that took years. Every few months or so I would hit a wall and have to take a break. I have no concept of how an artist like Michelangelo could work on the Sistine Chapel every day for four years as the center of his attention.

That is another thing that those who do this strictly as a hobby don't understand. I have done some commissions that took years. Every few months or so I would hit a wall and have to take a break. I have no concept of how an artist like Michelangelo could work on the Sistine Chapel every day for four years as the center of his attention.

That goes for any hobby that you turn into a business. I was a big stamp collector when I was young. I turned that into a business, buying collections and selling off pieces. I even did artwork for first day covers and album pages. At the end of the day I didn't have any time or ambition left for my own passions of collecting. Pretty much burned out on it and didn't touch my pet collection for many years. I learned my lesson there, so I'll never mix models and money!

I used to be big into woodworking. Then I got my first commissioned piece. They told me what they wanted. I built it and hated most of it because I was making somebody else's vision, not mine. I burned out quick because I wanted the control and freedom of the "art" aspect, not just the technical "how".

Same for me with models - it's all in the design - color choices, textures, etc - that I like to envision then convert to reality.

That's where value and art collide - if you produce something you want that other people like and value, your art is "worth" something.

Producing a replica of somebody else's vision isn't so much art...more of a job.