Model Cars Magazine Forum

under glass

gnygren

Doubt the under glass section will change. And if it did change there be people complaining that it was changed. Falls under the saying can't please all the people all the time.

This.^

Changing and/or adding/removing forum categories has been discussed here many times, and there are so many different opinions and interpretations as to what goes where and why it should or shouldn't that there's rarely a consensus. Someone has to make the final decision and decide if they wish to see changes made, and that's Gregg's call.

so could I please point out that it has been said over and over again that ANYTHING can be posted in the under glass section, yet when things "out of context" (like pick up trucks or sedan pickups? phleeese) are posted there they are moved at the whim of the moderator of the moment? f'in lame is what I call it

jb

I was told by Harry all large scale anything belongs in Big Boyz, period. We have an Under Glass section specifically for Trucks, so why would you post a completed pickup in the Model Cars -Under Glass section? Maybe before we created a specific section for trucks that was the rule?

Yes, anything die-cast should be posted in the Other Models - Die Cast section, regardless if it's a truck, car, Winston Cup car, etc., so there are exceptions which are not absolutely 100% clear to everyone. We understand that, and we do try to make it clear what goes where by leaving a "moved" note after we move a post, but we don't do everything perfectly. Yes, we make mistakes, just like everyone else, but we try to correct them and do the best we can with the forum categories as they exist. I think the vast majority of members understand that, even if they don't agree 100% with every decision we make.

That is the rub. Why is it OK for Harry to post photos of his 1/16 scale Mercedes,1/16 scale 1904 De Dion Bouton, 1/16 1904 Oldsmobile, 1/16 1904 Wolsely, 1/16 1903 Rambler, 1/16 Stutz Bearcat, 1/16 1901 De Dion Bouton etc. models in the Under Glass section? But, a 1/16 scale Citroen posted a couple of days ago gets moved to the large scale section? :blink: It was a finished model same as Harry's models were. There shouldn't be a double standard of the rules for anyone. That is what upsets people.

I realize there's no Under Glass for every sub section here and I'm not saying that Harry shouldn't be allowed to post photos of his finished 1/16 scale models in the Under Glass section. But, if he is allowed to do it, everyone else should be allowed to do it also. No matter what the point of view is, it's wrong to move people's 1/16 scale models out of the very same section that one is posting their own 1/16 scale models in.

Pickups etc. were allowed in the Under Glass section before the separate section was created. At first, finished models were mixed right in with the WIP's. Then, finally there was an Under Glass section created for them because it became such a mess.

Not sure what you're referring to, but I have never moved anyone's large scale posts in "Under Glass" to another section.

Edit: Roger... I was wrong in what I just said. Well, not technically wrong, but misleading. Casey moved things around based on what I told him to do... so blame me. He was only doing what I told him to do. He and I are going to try and figure out a better way to deal with the whole "large scale" issue.

I know I'm guilty of posting my large scale stuff in "Under Glass" and not in the Big Boyz section. That's on me.

What I told Casey is that all large scale stuff–WIP or finished–belongs in the Big Boyz section. So he moved stuff based on what I told him to do.

He didn't move my stuff, probably because he figured I was the admin and he wasn't going to mess with my stuff. Can't blame him for that. It's not Casey that's to blame, it's me.

I personally don't like a separate Big Boyz section. It was here before I came along, and I'm sure Gregg had his reasons for doing it that way, but I disagree. We're going to try and work out a resolution.

So what's a "truck"?

Are El Caminos and Rancheros "trucks"? How about 29 A roadster pickups, 34 Ford pickups, or Fad Ts with short truck beds? These are all street rods to me.

Model "truck" to me means semis, firetrucks, commercial haulers, commercial-use or beater pickups, and so forth. Am I wrong?

Is this a "truck" or a normal "Under Glass" street cruiser?

GMTruck1.jpg

GMTruck2.jpg

I think a truck is a vehicle meant for material transport with an open cargo bay, or bed.

Rancheros, Caminos, longbox Ts, and pickups such as Rams or Rangers are trucks. These go in the light utility section with vans.

Basically, we have sections to draw the best viewer audience for our builds. (I believe...)

I wouldn't put a Fad with a shortbox in the Light Utility section because frankly I don't believe it has any utility at all.