Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Germany new VW Golf (Rabbit for you guys)

Always loved the first gen Golf GTI. Revell US has announced a first gen Golf, a.k.a. Rabbit kit is coming here soon too. I hope it too is the GTI version. Great pictures on the link you posted, Luc. It looks like a very nice kit. I like the fact that you can build it as left or right hand drive. I hope the version they release here is as nice.

Scott

@Midnightprowler:

There is not a lot of interesting stuff to translate in the text. Mostly blah blah and some minor information about this being test shots that may still have some rough spots and flash. Other than that it is mentioned that the new kit´s quality will probably get in line with the latest new tools of classic cars from ROG.

Can that page be translated somehow?

Translation:

The children of the 1980s are now grown up - first on the back seats as whining passengers and later at the wheel of their first used car, for which they had saved up their money so long and hard.

The children of the 2000s will now ask themselves why the children of the last century have such an esteem for the new kit "Hurrah, finally a Golf GTI".

Well, the answer is obvious: Finally, many can fulfill their nostalgic dreams and have their first car immortalized on their desk; and the somewhat younger have the unique opportunity to add another legend to their collection...

Looking at the parts trees we ask our readers not to forget that these are still test shots - which still show some roughness in the material and flash here and there...

Our preliminary conclusion is however, that the new Golf GTI by Revell will be a worthy addition to the new developments of classic car kits at a probably absolutely unbeatable price!

Dr. Michael Brodhaecker, modeling friends Lingen

Edited by Junkman

How does it compare to the old Mitsuwa kit?

It's a brand new kit. Much more detailed than the Mitsuwa or Fujimi ones. And not tooled by Revell usa. Should be a very nice kit:) And yea, hopefully the Revell usa release has usa spec decals.

It's a brand new kit. Much more detailed than the Mitsuwa or Fujimi ones. And not tooled by Revell usa. Should be a very nice kit:) And yea, hopefully the Revell usa release has usa spec decals.

Even the most detailed kit is worthless if the overall shape is not right.

Mitsuwa captured the lines particularly well, Fujimi not so well, and the ESCI was pure, unadulterated tosh.

Not sure which US-spec decals you expect aside from numberplates, but I'll be surprised if they threw in OMG5MPH bumpers, side marker lights and Sealed Beams.

Even the most detailed kit is worthless if the overall shape is not right.

Mitsuwa captured the lines particularly well, Fujimi not so well, and the ESCI was pure, unadulterated tosh.

Not sure which US-spec decals you expect aside from numberplates, but I'll be surprised if they threw in OMG5MPH bumpers, side marker lights and Sealed Beams.

It's being reboxed here as a Rabbit GTi. But of course it'll be the usual USA hack rebox meaning US Spec decals on a German Spec model kit. See '68 Beetle thread for expected whining of people who actually expect them to tool pieces to make it fully US Spec.

Of interest is that Tower Hobbies is showing the flat box Golf GTi AG kit as orderable for December along with the Cabriolet which marks an apparent reversal in Hobbico's "No Direct Import of Reboxed Kits" rule. Which seemed a bit disingenuous considering they reverse imported the Revell AG reboxed Snap-Tite Police Impala, '69 Charger & Viper ACR kits to us at the $35 Revell AG price tag.

• 2 months later...

Well it's available over this side of the pond and is selling very well.

I couldn't get a GTi, but I did get a Cabrio. Both kits are European Spec, so no Rabbit versions for you guys.

This Cabrio is the original spec 1.5 litre GLS.

It was also availabe as a GLi which has black wheelarch extensions and twin headlights and the GTi engine.

This looks really nice

post-5203-0-43235300-1419633539_thumb.jp

post-5203-0-85433700-1419633566_thumb.jp

What's the difference between this and the one that was out earlier? I remember the Valvoline racer and a stock version. Is this a reissue?

The ones you are talking about are the old Revell (from the 80s?) kit of the mkII Golf.

I have seen som threads on these now and they look quite good. Will have to get one of each when I get the chance. I guess it will not be long before we see some aftermarket resinconversion parts for the Cabriolet to update it. They never made a Cabriolet of the mkII and therefore used the mkI body with updated bumpers and other stuff all the way up to the early 90s (looks to be 1993).

Well it's available over this side of the pond and is selling very well.

I couldn't get a GTi, but I did get a Cabrio. Both kits are European Spec, so no Rabbit versions for you guys.

This Cabrio is the original spec 1.5 litre GLS.

It was also availabe as a GLi which has black wheelarch extensions and twin headlights and the GTi engine.

This looks really nice

Very interesting that the engine in the cabriolet is not the GTi engine. I think I must swap them over so that the cabriolet is the hot version and then make a lower spec sedan.