Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC Donnie Allison 1971 Mercury Cyclone

hpiguy

Here's a look at the re-release kit.

YES, THE VIDEO DOES HAVE SOME ERRORS, DONNIE WAS NOT DAVEY'S DAD AND THE ENGINE WAS A 429 EVEN THOUGH THE BOX SAYS 427.

THESE VIDEOS ARE DONE FOR FUN, NOT FOR PROFIT OR TO SELL KITS.

:)

Edited by hpiguy

Just a few things....Bobby Allison was Davey's father and that engine is a "Boss" 429. Interesting review though,even with all the errors.

Thank you.

The error on the father/son thing is corrected in the description on You Tube. Wasn't worth re-recording it all.

As far as the engine, below the review in the comment section a guy that says he worked on the kit says that it is a 429, but I nor most people aren't experts enough on the engine to know it wasn't a 427 and was a 429 when the box says 427. Seems the error has continued to the reissue.

I do strive for accuracy, but I do make mistakes. I'm not a NASCAR expert and don't pretend to be. These videos are done by me for fun, not profit or sales. I always appreciate the pointing out of things that I can correct next time though. Thanks. :)

Another great review (other than the few small mistakes already pointed out). Again I like your YouTube reviews. But again, another kit I will not be buying because it can not be built as the stock version of the car. I'd love to see Round 2, or anybody else for that matter, give us a "showroom stock" version of the '70 or '71 Cyclone. Like MPC did in the day, before this version of the kit was first offered.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

Enjoyed the review, now I don't have to open mine until I want to build it. I do wish the engine wasn't molded in black. I would think it would be a stock engine color. I knew Bobby was Davey's dad but hey we all make mistakes, thanks for the review...

• 2 weeks later...

Very fun review. The kit has some errors but so what.I will buy it just because it is a Allison. I met Bobby Allison and Smokey at a PIR show here in reno. Had dinner with them and had a great time. The stories were great and the way they cheated was a blast to hear. My buddy Larry Paulson just built me a ford stroker when they did not have any such thing,It was a 351 windsor board and stroked to 418 cu.in. We had dodge rods with chevy hypertetic pistons arp bolts from Smokey and I put it in my 1966 GT 350 and it hauled the mail! Dyno was at 438 hp and 490 ft lbs. at 5600 rpm. And Smokey wanted to know how we did it. Now mind you this was in 1985. So we had a dinner and it was the most enjoyable motorsports dinner we have ever had.I learned a lot more from Smokey and later that week and using his bag of tricks we were able to pull around 500 hp and 550 ft lbs. Now this was in a car that weighed in at 2560 lbs at the scales. I was king of the hill in vintage racing because the techs thought i was running a 289. The give away is that i was pulling a 427 cobra and he could not shake me. Well no more of that back to tech inspect and was not legal no more. It was a great run,we scared alot of people, so I just ran it on the street. Still do to this day.Those Allisons and Yunicks know evertyhing about a motor,The greatest guys in the world rest in piece mr.Yunick your the best! I will be buying alot of these,just because,Have fun with this kit,I want to see it done!

• 1 month later...

don't mean to bring this up again, but am on the verge of trading for one of these and have a few more questions (cant see the video), is the body is fairly stock, no enlarged wheel wells, are the taillights included or are the blocked off. does it have a flat hood? correct.I know the Torino stuff will drop in with little or no hassle.

thanks in advance