Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custom Decals from an old Photo - Who Does That Kind of Work?

I'm doing a replica of a 1952 Chevy single wheel one ton that my dad bought in the mid sixties from the cartage company wich owned it from new. I found some photos on a truck site showing several of that company's trucks and their signage. Does anyone know of someone who can duplicate that lettering from a photo and make decent decals for several trucks? Here's a link to the truck that I want the lettering from for the 52 one ton. I realize that the picture is really grainy but it is the best that I can find. I lack the patience and knowledge of computers to even begin try this myself and would sooner pay someone else to do it while I put my effort and time into something that I would find less stressful and time consuming. Or can someone duplicate the lettering in a reasonable facsimile of what the pictures show and put them onto a quality decal sheet? I'd like to do a tractor trailer from the same company so I'd need several sets of decals. Any suggestions?

Here's a linkk to the photo of the truck with the lettering that I would like copied: http://hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/tony_gussie/2005/dec13/kron1949gmc-001.jpg

Edited by impcon

• 2 weeks later...

It is possible to make your own custom decals. I have used the Testors Decal Maker system with graphics created in MS Word, MS Paint, Word perfect and MS Publisher.

I create an 8.5 x 5" page in Word and then lay out the text and graphics I want and print it on an inkjet photo printer. It takes some time but if no one else will do it.....

Thank you for responding. Sometimes it feels pretty lonely in here. Yeah, it appears that no one wants the job. Oh well.. Maybe I'll have to take your advice. this truckis something that has been in the back of my mind for years and I would really like to do two versions - one as it was when a company truck and another as it was when my dad owned it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been thinking about this myself. Publisher is a great way to design your own decals. I have a Testors Decal Maker Kit and I went so far as to create a set of flames in Publisher that i was going to print out as decals for a replica of the California Kid that I am putting together. When I found out there was a guy that was doing a set i abandoned that idea and decided to order a set from him.

Having looked at the image, I am pretty confident that I can do it. Not an exact copy but very close. Not sure what colours but i can guess red lettering. I did a computer course a couple of years ago where I learnt Publisher and I also learnt how to insert photos into Publisher and manipulate them. It will take a couple of hours at the most. If you want to pm me your email I can email back the finished item for your scrutiny.

Thanks guys. I think that I have found someone who graciously has offered to undertake the project. I am sending him some information and so far, things sound very positive. I'll let you know how things workout. I did try to do the layout myself but I do not have software nor the patience with a computer to do the job. Sometimes it is just better to let someone who knows what they are doing handle things and save ones self a lot of frustration and stress. I appreciate the posts though. Thank you one and all..