Model Cars Magazine Forum

Diamond Reo, Beam Trailer, and Payhauler 350.

So this will start with the REO obviously. I have most of the engine of the payhauler and I have the main frame of the beam trailer done.

Here are pics of the rear of the frame of the REO, with the 5th wheel ramps done. The frame has been stretched and has a smooth deck plate to it right now, but later will have a chromed diamond plate on there.

20150227_095320_zpsf6p4v8ek.jpg

20150227_095308_zpsnmgvsfzr.jpg

I took some half inch ibeam, about 3/4 inch long, stuck the saw inside and let r rip. Glued them down just like oyu see on top of that sheet, right at the edge, then too some 8th in inside dimension c-channel some clamps and Tamiya extra thing and voila.

Trailer will likely be black, and for the rig I'm thinking black and gold. Black on top with black fenders, with gold on the lower half, gold tanks, black frame. I've got some diamond plate here so will probably do some diamond plate rear fenders for it. If I were better at certain things I would make some for the front too, but going to make a big diamond plate bumper for the front.

I am sitting here looking at this turbo charged Cat 6 cylinder, from the KW W900 Revell. SERIOUSLY thinking about dropping it in there. Assuming it will fit under the hood, and not drag the pan.

I'm seriously thinking about adding the single wheeled third axle to the rear. The type that just uses a pair of front wheels, if anyone knows how I might pull this off let me know. Because if I can get a full set of 10 hole alcoa's, and get a pair of Float Steers, I could make it happen easily. Plus this big ol' Cat engine.

As for the trailer pics here um, sorry I couldn't get it all into one frame so had to do two.

20150227_132338_zps1ubbggku.jpg

20150227_132344_zpsy4kdsehk.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Some updates.

Here is the bumper I created for this beast.

20150318_185317_zpsuhqykkir.jpg

Here is the main paint scheme.

20150318_185332_zpsgtlhscbm.jpg

Though I'm not decided what color to paint the tanks, bumper, front and rear fenders. Rears will be diamond plate. Still debating on adding a lift axle or not.

The Cat engine is actually only a very slight bit larger and will fit under the hood fine. Not so sure about behind the radiator but I will find out before I make it a solid decision. I was thinking fenders and tanks black with gold trim and mounts. Bumper I was still thinking Gold but I can always go over the gold with the black.

Still trying to think of that extra axle. If I add one do I want it as a lift, or I can add a third drive axle when I get another CA Hauler as I will convert that extra CA hauler to a single drive, and I can use the extra drive axle and even suspension off of it.

Picked up another CA Hauler which I've cut down to single drive, used part of it's suspension to crate a pusher axle for this thing. Here it is.

I realize it doesn't look like something a pro shop would put out necessarily, but it's supposed to be something that looks like it would have been done without a boatload of dough, but by someone who knew what they were doing, and built something awesome.

20150321_092827_zpsgf37zpt5.jpg

20150321_092843_zpsgxe7hhex.jpg

Edited by fantacmet

I figure it's not supposed to be a "lift" axle, as it is vary the pressure when making the turn if need be. that way you don't have funky airbag deployment. That's the real world physics behind it anyway. Hopefully I'll be able to get the engine together and painted tonight. I gotta try to find out what's wrong with a friend's jeep(the one I sold him), grab a bite to eat, and find some detailing pictures. Preferably from, on here rather than the real engine because I can't make heads or tails of those.

I added the front suspension tonight. No pics because I'm just too tired and it's too late. Tomorrow I will be getting zero work done, as after work I gotta drive out and pickup the wife. I don't get much time for building after I get home from work.

• 3 weeks later...

Going to go with a red interior. Hopefully get some done on the engine, don't have $$ for paint not sure to go with the paint that is on that engine in the photo or I have something MUCH lighter. I suppose since this is supposed to represent an owner rebuilt rig I can paint it whatever color I want. Doing the interior in red. Kyrlon Shortcuts Red Pepper to be specific.

Building models on a tight budget can be frustrating and challeneging! But I learned a long time ago. To always budget a little money for your self. For your hobby or whatever.

I worked hard all my life, and most of the time lived pay check to paycheck. And I did buy things for the models even when the budget was tight. but you have to enjoy life and for me models is a great way to do that.

Now that I am retired. I amdoing better but still try to live within a set budget. And yes that includes things for the hobbies .

You seem to be having a hard time trying to justify to everyone what you are building and why. I suggest you build for yourself satisfaction and personal enjoyment. Build what you want ,how you want it.

Be Well

Gator

Edited by gatorincebu