Model Cars Magazine Forum

Are We Model Hoarders?

Defacto hoarder/styrene junkie here.I call myself a builder but I'm too slow to be very productive.That's why I'm at 1300 kits and counting.But they're my life insurance policy-I plan to live to be 400 and build them all.So far,so good.

If you have a local auctioneer, contact them. Ebay works well, either singly, or in small lots. Load up a minivan and rent a table at a model show. Load up another minivan and rent a table at a flea market, toy show or car show. Don't expect more than $2 a piece for '90s NASCAR models. (Probably NOT worth hauling to a show or flea market)

I am getting rid of a bunch of stuff, both model and non model. It's a balance between price and time. If I could take forever to sell it, and was willing to work full time at it, I could get closer to retail or book prices for all of it. The good stuff is going to consignment auctions, shows and the 'bay. The junkier stuff is going via garage sale, Salvation Army and the curb. (Many resales, like Habitat, St. Vinny's and Salvation Army will take sealed kits.) Do a bit of research so that you aren't spending a lot of time trying to sell a $5 model while giving away a $50 model for nothing. I figure a labor amount of 5 models an hour to list and sell on ebay. (By the time I photograph, list, pack and ship a model, I am probably pretty close) Have lots of packing and shipping supplies and patience!

Be careful using a local auction house. 1) Two in my area charge a commission of 40%!! 2) I recently bought a lot where the auction house just lumped models together from an estate without doing any research. One lot of 20 (costing me a little over $3/ea) yielded a sealed Jo-Han Maverick and another lot of 40 built (costing me less than $2/each) yielded a 70 MPC Cyclone and a 74 Impala.