Model Cars Magazine Forum

I love Hobby Lobby!

One thing to remember about Hobby Lobby is that you can sign up for their e-mails and every one has a 40% coupon. Twice last year our local HL put out their own e-mail announcements with 50% coupons. Can't beat that. My local hobby shop has a tremendous model department, along with trains, die casts, military, and even doll houses, and their everyday prices are 20% off list for everything they sell. From time to time they also have old model collections that they sell for customers. Have picked up a number of great old kits at cheap prices.

Michael's coupon value varies by the week. some 10%, some 40%. Hobby Lobby is consistently 40%. Michael's doesn't have a good or frequently changing selection of kits. Hobby Lobby has about 10x the variety, is usually changing x the week, and they have the sundries to go with the kits (paint, abrasives, glue, tools). don't have a Hobby Town near me, but there was one about 30 years ago. it was well stocked, but on par price-wise with the LHS, so I never frequented there.

I think HL is an awesome thing, and while I do feel a little guilty using the coupons, I only use them on the models themselves because the store has to make money to keep stocked, I rarely use the coupons for paint and other small supplies, so I think it evens out in the long run cuz I buy more little things than models.

Well guys, wish me luck.

I am headed to my nearest Hobby Lobby, for my FIRST TIME EVER.

I'm armed with my 40% off coupon (and I personally NEVER feel bad using coupons at big-box retailers, they have gotten plenty of my hard earned money!)

I'm considering leaving my cards at home and bringing a limited amount of cash....

Meh.... Scratch that idea haha!

I'll let you guys know if I come across anything good.

I was out of town today and stopped at the Hob Lob where I was at. I walked in, cut straight to the back, hooked a right, then a left, and on the bottom shelf there it was. I nabbed the coolest kit Ive ever bought from the Lobb. I flashed my coupon, and walked out with it for a lil over $20 bucks. After a rainy labor day dealing with a feverish 3 year old, that made my day.

I found a California Hauler at HL in Lexington on Friday and picked it up with the coupon in my phone app for ~$21. Gotta love the app, never have to worry about cutting coupons and it is re-usable. Now I need to figure out what type of fire truck to turn it into...oh the possibilities.

An addition to my post on the first page of this thread about Hobby Lobby. See post #20.

I checked with the person that handles the models at my local HL in Mooresville, NC.

They will hold an item that was special ordered for two weeks from the day it comes in. They will honor that weeks 40% off coupon for the special ordered item.

They can only special order an item that they normally stock, but you can order more than one kit. You will need a separate discount coupon and someone else to use it for you.

Edited by VW93

I gotta tell ya....Hobby Lobby has been a bery, bery good to me..... :D Now, it's no secret, that they price their kits a little higher than I normally see online, but that 40% off phone coupon is the Bomb!!!! It brings the prices down to well below online prices.... And I get to take it home right away....No need to check the front porch, every day..... I totally don't feel bad for using the coupons..... Trust me..... All those women that I have to stand in line behind every time I go are, definitely pickin' up the tab.... :D .....I think if HL wasn't making any money at it, they would just stop offering coupons.....It's getting more men in the door.... All of a sudden, going shopping with your wife ain't so bad, any more....."Can we stop by Hobby Lobby, Honey???" Y'all know what I'm talkin' about.....

The three H's.....

Hobby Lobby, Harbor Freight Tool, and Home Depot......My favorite stores....

Edited by kilrathy10

Yeah man, just the fact that in 2014 I can walk into a store that sells models(havent been any around in awhile) and buy a brand new California Hauler, is something I think Ive dreamt about. The fact that I can also but a metal Indian motorcycle sign, a Dodge Charger sign, a White Freighiner Coe, a fruity candle for my wife, and a coloring book for my daighter all in the same place deserves a thank you. In so many ways, I love Hobby Lobby.

ironically, my wife introduced me to Hobby Lobby, she had gone there with my daughter for something, and picked me up a metal sign for the garage. well, after she told of the 'man type' stuff there, I had to check it out. we went back the next day and I discovered the 'model isle', the rest is, as they say, history :D

also, make a note to peruse the doll house area, usually a lot of stuff there you can re-purpose for trucks and diorama type builds.