Model Cars Magazine Forum

'65 Chevy Stepside Pickup 2 'n 1

Randy Kern

I thought I'd give a try at doing a kit review, so here goes.

This is Revell's latest issue of the 1965 Chevy Stepside Pickup, that I believe was originally released in '96 with a Hemi-Hydro boat. It was also a '98 re-issue of just the truck. I don't have the other two versions, but it looks like all the parts from them are here.

This issue now includes: the modern Torque-Thrust big 'n littles from the 'California Wheels' '65 Chevy Pickup (in addition to the chrome reverse-baby moon whitewall combo), custom air cleaner, carb, manifold, headers and valve covers for the 283, radiator shroud, lowered front suspension, and very tastefully done flames, wood bed, and disc brake rotor decals. There are even individual 'CHEVROLET' tail gate letters in silver, white or black.

Here are the parts pics

IMG_3567.jpg

IMG_3568.jpg

IMG_3569.jpg

IMG_3570.jpg

IMG_3571.jpg

IMG_3572.jpg

IMG_3573.jpg

I built the '64 Fleetside 'California Wheels' truck when it came out, and it was a great kit to build, as I'm sure this one looks to be. Here's a shot of it

IMG_1901-1.jpg

I love the new style Torque-Thrust wheel & tire combo, as they are just the right size for a lot of other street machine builds, and not too large in diameter. I used them on my recent '65 Impala Wagon, detailing the spokes with aluminum paint to really make them pop.

The box art being the actual model, and a very well-built one at that, really tops it off. Truck lovers, snap it up! :)

Yes! Finally you can build a stock stepside without buying 2 kits!? My questions, is where is the crossover pipe for the single exhaust, or do you have to scratch it like the 64? And looks like no stock hubcaps, just the moons, and looks like no lug detail on the wheel front as in the 64 ?

Edited by midnightprowler

Luc, they're the B.F. Goodrich Silvertowns, and that's all the lettering on the side walls, along with the ribs. Here's a pic of it assembled.

IMG_3578.jpg

Kewl!

That puts this kit on my shopping list, cuz I have an earlier version (& a Fleetside too) which has the old unattractive Monogram whitewalls tires, one can find in their '58 T-Bird kit.

Thanks for info Randy!!

Best Regards

Luc

• 2 weeks later...

Nice review, Randy! I particularly like the bow-tie wing nut on the new air cleaner lid. And ANY kit with separate whitewall inserts is a must have in my book! I haven't built one of these since they first came out, but I picked up this version today! I don't remember having any real issues putting the first one toghether... must mean it went together well!

Guys... back me up or bash me down on this one, but the grille on this truck just doesn't look right to me. It seems a bit to...ah... chunky. Maybe it's too tall, too narrow, or both? The Revell Jeep J10 Honcho (when's THAT one gonna get reissued, huh?) had the same effect. I can't profess to be an expert on this style of Chevy truck, but something about that grille just bothers me! B)

• 3 weeks later...

Also, for those of us that love the 72 Chevy but hate the single piece chassis in the AMT kit, the chassis on this kit can be substituted for the AMT one. It will take some work, but it's a good swap. You'll also need to get a resin short bed or lengthen the chassis. Here's a photo of my in progress 72 with the 64 Chevy chassis.

1972ChevyStepsideCustom-32.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out how to change the rear wheel openings in the 90's stepside bed to match the front. :blink:

Edited by Nate

Now, this is how a review is done, w/ pictures and all!!! Thanks Randy, this definitely made me decide to get this kit, lots of possibilities to do something special with it!!! Next step is seeing you build one. :P:blink:

Thanx for the review Randy. I wil probably pick one of these up. I think it would have been cool if Revell had put a 6 cylinder in this kit just to have a different engine option. Just about every one of these old trucks I ever saw in 1:1 had the 290 6 cylinder with the 3 on the tree in it. I saw on another board where a guy is building a '62 Chevy with the AMT '60 Chevy truck and a Revell '65 hood. It's really cool looking.

There was no 290 six, the six cylinder options were for a 230, 250or a 292 inch engine, the 230 & 250 shared the same external dimensions, but the 292 was a different sort of animal, they all had the same bellhousing as the 283, & 327 options.

• 2 weeks later...
Also, for those of us that love the 72 Chevy but hate the single piece chassis in the AMT kit, the chassis on this kit can be substituted for the AMT one. It will take some work, but it's a good swap. You'll also need to get a resin short bed or lengthen the chassis. Here's a photo of my in progress 72 with the 64 Chevy chassis.

1972ChevyStepsideCustom-32.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out how to change the rear wheel openings in the 90's stepside bed to match the front. :D

Consider this one filed away for future use... regarding your question, have you tried just cutting out the '72 wheel openings and grafting them into the '90 bed?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, utter newbie here.

I would consider myself a model-building novice, but when I heard about this kit coming out a couple months ago, I got really excited.

I have a '63 C10 I'm currently restoring.

igw84o.jpg

So, given my newbitude, I've got a bunch of questions for the Questions forum that I won't bother with here.

As far as this kit goes, could I get a picture or two of inside the cabin? Being a '65, I know I've got a bit of kitbashing and work to do to convert it to a '63, but the more info I can get before I buy, the better.

Thanks guys.

• 1 month later...

I can't remember any differences in options , color or anything between the two years honestly. I do know things like a pasenger side arm rest and heaters were still optional . Infact , even seat padding only came with the " Custom - Cab " feature . I would suggest Golden State Chevrolet parts in California as they used to be on my speed dial when I was in the business. Ed Shaver

• 1 year later...

Well I got around to building this kit......I hope it was my box but the fit of the four part hood to the body is awful..actually just ordered a new set from revell. Mine was way too wide or short or both?? Read all the reviews on this one and hood was not an issue.....:huh::angry:B)

The fit of the rest of the cab is sloppy...lotsa gaps, easily fixed....but..........:D:unsure:

Heres a few shots of the mockup...yeah I did do a bit of cutting with the Zona.....but nothing extra here....

IMG_1885.jpg

IMG_1886.jpg

IMG_1882.jpg

IMG_1883.jpg

what did you do to the suspension to get it dropped that low?

Basics...moved the A arms up in the front up to the top of the rails, in the rear, cut the "springs", with a small c notch in the frame,

wanted to use different wheel/tires but the way these fit..I'm happy

Update on hood fit. Got another hood today and fit is the firewalls fault.

By prefitting the firewall flush to the top and sides I made the body too narrow

So broke those joints , added some scrap filler, hood now fits fine.

Edited by Stasch

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone make correct towing equipment for this era truck?

The Midnight Cowboy wrecker bed is a close representative to the 60's era. You could start with that and make changes based upon your research. You would need to source some '60s era 1 ton wheels.