Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another LHS Closing the Doors

Earlier this week a friend, who is not a modeler told me he had seen a "40% Off Sale*" at Fun For All Hobbies. That is one of two LHS in Topeka. So I cruised over to Gage and 21st this afternoon. It doesn't look good. There are signs everywhere announcing everything is 40% off. Then there is a little footnote: * goes to smaller print "All Fixtures for Sale". That doesn't look good. I'll make a return trip tomorrow. If you live in the area you might make a trip. The automotive kits are going pretty fast but there are hundreds of military kits and lots of railroding supplies.

Am I surprised, "No." In December the manager and I had a good conversation on a slow day. He told me business is slow. As he told me Topeka is within an hours drive two successful Big XII schools, a successful NFL franchise and dozens and dozens of youth sports programs. Saturday used to be the busiest day in the store with kids looking for something to do and parents interested as well. "Everyone has limited resources of time and money and they are spending less and less on scale modeling hobbies." That is nothing new to most of us.

i think model building for youth is a pretty sedintary passtime- something for a rainy day. at 10-12-15 kids should be out using their bodies while they are still able.

for adults, who always have the wisdow what kids should be doing!, building hobbies [planes, cars, rockets, ships, railroading-whatever the theme] takes on a more cerebral note. we research & debate and that in itself is part of the hobby in addition to actually building something.

and we may have more disposable income for these things than a 14 year old with a summer or afterschool job. what's the average age here? and in the hobby in general? it's up to us to determine where we spend our hobby $$$ - a subject that has been debated ad nauseum. personally, i thank the cosmos for the internet; your opinion may vary.

it is too bad that every personal business venture does not florish, but i say "keep the kids running" until they are too tired and stop on their own.

That's why I support my LHS whenever I can. I just bought Hasegawa's Lamborghini Miura Jota and ordered the Miura SV. I could get them for a few bucks less on ebay, but after shipping, what do I save? Maybe 3-4 bucks? Don't get the idea that I have money to burn...far from it. I just think that it's worth a few dollars to have the LHS there. The internet is fast, but many hobby shops will have a new kit open so you can take a look at it. A good shop has everything you need; paint, glue, sheet plastic, even casting supplies. You can pick that stuff up NOW instead of waiting a week or spending big $$$ to ship it overnight.

When I lived in the Dallas area, Phil's Hobbies was the place to go. After they went out of business, I made it a point to support King's; the LHS for Austin.

As far as kids not building, it is what it is. But we old guys (I'm 37) can help by supporting the LHS, even if it's not as convenient as the 'net.

Living in the Chicago area we still have a bunch of Hobby shops to choose from.... Venture , Forever Timeless Hobbie Shop and Al's Hobby Shop are a few , and when I'm on the road there are a few I can park the truck at or near by.. ''Wild Bills'' in Irving Texas [about as jammed with kits as you can get] and ''Top shelf'' in Owasso Oklahoma are among my favorites to visit..I still like browsing the aisles and talking with real people....I deal on the internet for the ''odd'' or ''hard to get'' kits.......

I hear ya!!! I remember back in the day (80's) when there were at least 5 independent local hobby shops in Colorado Springs. Now there is only one left and they merged with a "Gamer" store. Just last week we were up north and stopped by Don's Hobbies in Greely CO. I was a breath of fresh air to see!!! Unfortunately due to "town expansion" they may have to move to a new location just to survive because the downtown area is dead. I hope they can pull through!!! It is sad to see all the independants go away!!! :cry: KT

I hear ya!!! I remember back in the day (80's) when there were at least 5 independent local hobby shops in Colorado Springs. Now there is only one left and they merged with a "Gamer" store. Just last week we were up north and stopped by Don's Hobbies in Greely CO. I was a breath of fresh air to see!!! Unfortunately due to "town expansion" they may have to move to a new location just to survive because the downtown area is dead. I hope they can pull through!!! It is sad to see all the independants go away!!! :cry: KT

Wow, another Springs person, cool. I was just at HobbyTown at Woodmen looking for a C6-R for next Saturday's Le Mans build and I was thinking how lucky we are to still have it around. Somehow, they have made it over the last 20 or so years here. I will always go there before the internet-unless I know they will more than likely not have it.

Wow, another Springs person, cool. I was just at HobbyTown at Woodmen looking for a C6-R for next Saturday's Le Mans build and I was thinking how lucky we are to still have it around. Somehow, they have made it over the last 20 or so years here. I will always go there before the internet-unless I know they will more than likely not have it.

Well, its good to meet you Jon!! I was there as well just yesterday!! I remember when it was located on Dublin and Academy in the 80's. They moved to the Chapel Hills mall in the 90's ish and now they are on Woodmen and Academy. But through it all they have survived!!BTW, there is talk about them moving again when they do the Academy/Woodmen overpass. My only gripe is that they have never catered to us as much as the others(R/C-Planes-Military) when it came to aftermarket stuff( Pre-Wired Distributers,Decals,Photo-etch,etc.). The South HobbyTown has more in the way of accessories due to Chuck Springer who works down there. Also if I need P.E. stuff I do travel downtown to Compleat Games and Hobbies even though it is just a shell of what "Great Games & Hobbies" used to be. As for my actual models I usually get them from my buddy. We go once a month to Denver to a Model/collectible swap meet and we have a table( or 4) up there. Mostly what I get at HobbyTown is stuff like paints and glues,etc.,etc. If you want to know more about the swap meet or the local clubs feel free to drop me a line!!! DATZ280T@MSN.COM Mabe we will see you sometime!!! KT

I try to support my LHS when I can. He has a good amount of kits and supplies plus a full military line. Also he does RC cars, trains, slot cars.

The problem is that he always has NEW inventory blocking up the OLD inventory. It was so bad at one point that I wouldn't bring my kids into the place in case something fell on them. Otherwise the place is clean and well stocked.. but try to FIND something.

The owner's attitude is a bit on the blase side, he's not one to special order you something unless you really break his chops. He carries an inventory of high-end die cast drag cars and other items that do not move that well.

I don't know what his terms with his suppliers are, but he does carry a lot of inventory that is stagnant and invisible. I offered a couple of times to sort out his aftermarket parts and decal supplies, which are in small boxes on the counter. Re-order is done by him jotting down each sale on a legal pad, no computer. I don't see how he makes it, but glad he's around.

Bob

hobby shops are all about location, location, location. I feel lucky to have 5 good hobby shops in my area. and they all seem to be very successful. The only hobby shops that have closed in my area where in terrible locations. It was in a tiny strip mall next to an India Grocery store. Most people prohibably had no idea it was even there. My main LHS is in a large shopping complex. opposite a Target. there's always alot of people shopping in there.

Cool...I'm a former Springs resident myself...lived there '97-02..I liked Compleat Games and Hobbies and the Hobby Town on Woodmen. I haven't been back in about a year, will have to go down this summer and check out Compleat..

I live in the Denver area (Greenwood Village) now and frequent Colpar's Hobbies in Aurora, and make it up to Mizell's Trains once in a while, though I buy most of my models on the internet. I haven't been to Don's in Greeley in about 5 years..will have to take a trip up there this summer.

To pipe in on this subject, when I have a day to hit "The Circuit", I do Mizell Trains, Hobby Lobby, HobbyTown, Thompson's Hobbies on Wads near Colfax and Colpar. Since they closed down, I miss the shop in old town Arvada, that seemed to specialize in RC planes but had a good model selection. I can do the whole trip and get my fill of plastic eye candy! :(