Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone have a copy of the article on air ducts from wire and

rap some soft wire like kynar wire from radio shack around a diameter tube you want. then spread it out to the desired length. wrap the wire with thin surgical tape (wallyworld) paint it the color you want.

Is this Mr. Steve Keck?

Which article, the one in MCM a few years ago?

The one and original Gregg.

I can't remember the source of the how-to. Just it was very detailed and helpful. I am giving a seminar at the IPMS Regional here the 23rd and wanted to include it. Proper credit will be given the author.

Hi Steve, I think I have the information you're looking for. This article was wrote by Gregg Nichols in the April 2001 issue in pgs. 9-11. A couple of months ago I posted a build up, which I haven't finished yet, where I employed this technic.

This is the thread so you can see what I did with this:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forum/viewtopi...ght=porsche+962

I have no scanner, so, this is what I can do to help you.

Good luck with this!

Simon Rivera

Funny, I have just been in the basement going through some boxes with old model junk, and happened to find this:

modelparts008rua5.jpg

I made it many years ago, when I was trying to come up with a way to make air intake ducts for an old pro stock. What I was trying to achieve was something like you would see on, for example, a Thunderbolt. It's a copper wire (maybe 1/16" or so), bent to shape and wrapped in thin wire, and then covered with shrink tubing. The overall diameter is about 3/16". I finally gave up on this as the wire didn't show well enough through the shrink tubing, and I have been looking for thinner shrink tubing ever since. Another way would be to dip the whole thing in thick paint, thinned Plasti-Dip or something else that would show enough detail.