Model Cars Magazine Forum

What makes a race car a Pro Mod?

Romell R

Pro Mod

promod.jpg

Once described as Pro Stock cars on steroids, Pro Mod cars have become a popular addition to NHRA events through the Get Screened America Pro Mod series. Pro Mod cars are full-bodied, left-hand driver vehicles which are very loosely based on production models. They also feature supercharged, turbocharged or nitrous oxide equipped engines that allow them to run deep into the five-second zone at speeds of over 258-mph. Colorfully painted and wholly unpredictable, the Pro Mod class is reminiscent of the early days of Funny Car racing.

A large part of Pro Mod’s appeal stems from the wide variety of body styles that are favored by competitors. Those bodies include everything from early model Chevy Camaros and Corvettes to late model Dodge Stratus and Ford Mustang replicas. Since there are few rules governing aerodynamic enhancements, Pro Mod cars often feature radical body modifications including stretched wheelbases and oversized rear spoilers.

Under the current rules, Pro Mod engines can be either supercharged, turbocharged, or utilize nitrous oxide, with differing weight breaks for each combination in an effort to assure a level playing field. Currently, nitrous oxide equipped engines have no cubic inch limit and can run at 2,425 pounds. Supercharged vehicles are limited to 526-cubic inches and must weigh at least 2,650 pounds and turbocharged cars can have 540-cubic inches and may weigh no less than 2,650 pounds. Similar to the powerplants found in Top Alcohol Funny Cars, a competitive Pro Mod engine can produce in excess of 3,200 horsepower. Most Pro Mod racers use a three-speed planetary-type transmission and an adjustable multi-disc clutch, which helps them tune the car to suit track conditions.

While a Pro Mod chassis resembles a Pro Stock frame, there are significant differences since the Pro Mod car must be built to handle nearly twice the horsepower of a Pro Stock car. As a result, double frame rails are mandatory and there is also extra bracing required in the rear suspension and engine compartment. Although the chassis design also shares some similarities with a Funny Car, a Pro Mod car must use a full automotive-type suspension with springs and shock absorbers on all four corners. Any size rear tire is allowed and most racers opt to use a bead-lock system to secure the tire to the wheel. There are many safety related requirements for Pro Mod racers including duel parachutes, an on-board fire suppression system, and a fire suit for the driver meeting SFI 3.2A/20 specs.

Pro Mod Fast Facts

In 2011, Troy Coughlin Sr., drove his turbocharged JEGS.com Chevy Camaro in the Get Screened America Pro Mod Series. Troy was also the only driver to qualify for all ten races in 2010.

Having run in the five-second zone on numerous occasions, Troy is officially the quickest member of the Coughlin family. His father, Jeg Sr., raced in Top Fuel in the late 1970s but his career best pass is in the 6.0-second range. Troy’s best speed of 255-mph is also the fastest for a member of the JEGS team.

The current performance record for Pro Mod is 5.772-seconds by Melanie Troxel at the 2011 Englishtown event. Troxel also holds the speed record with a 258.71 performance at the same event.

The Pro Mod class can trace its roots to the Pro Stock match races and Quick 8 events that were popular at Southern tracks during the 1970s and 1980s. At many tracks, rules were difficult to enforce, so the rules were relaxed and motto became, “Run whatcha brung”.

The Pro Mod class has worldwide appeal as it is currently thriving in North America, Australia, Europe, and in the middle east

Heres a link to the original artical http://teamjegs.com/thecars/promod.asp

Thats heaps cool the cars can have turbos or nos as well. Over here our Pro Mod class is blower only.

So true Daniel. :mellow:

Maybe it's a rule our sanctioning body should look into...?? Maybe they already have, can't answer that one.

But it sure would mix things up a bit, stop the class getting stale.....

We have a twin turbo late model 'Stang which recently ran into the high 5's @ 260mph (approx) Not sure if the whole car qualifies for ProMod though...

GREAT write up too Rom, really helps explain heaps to the in-initiated.....and others like me. :) :lol:

Pro Mod is great category. In Alastaro, Finland, Michael Gullgvist drove 5.911 (2010), and last year he drove 5 second pass again. Can't remember how fast it was though. And there are few other five second passes too in Europe.

This is the coolest Pro Mod in Europe, it doesn't have to be aerodynamic or something...

13932581.jpg

So true Daniel. :mellow:

Maybe it's a rule our sanctioning body should look into...?? Maybe they already have, can't answer that one.

But it sure would mix things up a bit, stop the class getting stale.....

We have a twin turbo late model 'Stang which recently ran into the high 5's @ 260mph (approx) Not sure if the whole car qualifies for ProMod though...

GREAT write up too Rom, really helps explain heaps to the in-initiated.....and others like me. :) :lol:

Yeh im guessing they already have, or that there is already another class for Turbos/Nos. There are so many it blows my mind, and there is a Pro turbo class but im prety sure they are supposed to resemble Pro stockers, and we have the fastest in the world. Top Doorslammers are my favourite to watch, the rest of the world needs to get amongst them :)

Great write up Rom....P/M is my fav and Pro Stock is my second. I love any car from mild-to-wild.

There's just something about the bodies....stretched, wedged, channeled, curved, chopped, etc...all the things that make the bodies look like they do, still somewhat recognizable but heavily altered.

From the amazing horsepower to the ultra-cool chassis' to the wild paint, this class brings a mixture of all.

Great write up Rom....P/M is my fav and Pro Stock is my second. I love any car from mild-to-wild.

There's just something about the bodies....stretched, wedged, channeled, curved, chopped, etc...all the things that make the bodies look like they do, still somewhat recognizable but heavily altered.

From the amazing horsepower to the ultra-cool chassis' to the wild paint, this class brings a mixture of all.

I think this is what attracts me to the ProMod class too.....

Pro Mod is great category. In Alastaro, Finland, Michael Gullgvist drove 5.911 (2010), and last year he drove 5 second pass again. Can't remember how fast it was though. And there are few other five second passes too in Europe.

This is the coolest Pro Mod in Europe, it doesn't have to be aerodynamic or something...

13932581.jpg

That thing is AWESOME!

Im gonna have to save this pic, gives me an idea for a build down the line.... Man check out the 5sec mini van in the other lane, looks like he winning too LOL! :lol:

Not only does it look like he's winning, he must be under weight, has to carry a passenger!

Romell,

What was the source of the article you posted in #1 and why did you not credit it?

I just copied and pasted it. thought it would answer some questions for people. never tried to claim it as my own. The fact that it's about team Jegs should have been enough.

Took about 45 seconds of digging with Google to unearth it.

Me too, but my point was that I think with the new sensitivity on the web about copyright material, it should have been attributed or just a link to it provided. Especially by a mod.

Me too, but my point was that I think with the new sensitivity on the web about copyright material, it should have been attributed or just a link to it provided. Especially by a mod.

Dude its not that serious , and as far as I can see you are the only one with a problem with it. Relax and enjoy the forum dont be so uptight. There are far more useful things you can start a debate over. This is what I call petty

Dude its not that serious , and as far as I can see you are the only one with a problem with it. Relax and enjoy the forum dont be so uptight. There are far more useful things you can start a debate over. This is what I call petty

A. Not a problem for ME with it.

B. I'm not the copyright police.

C. I enjoy the forum.

D. NOT uptight.

E. Will NOT to debate this with you.

F. Well possibly Gregg and the admins may not think it petty. I have seen other boards that have stringent rules about attribution of material and the lack of same is prohibited.

So I've raised the question here as to whether that is permissible or not. Does your (being a mod) doing it mean it's OK for all of us?

We're supposed to follow the rules of this board and the mods / admins example of posting guidelines.

Attributing also has the function of informing a reader as to the accuracy of the material according to the source.

Clarifying the (rule or lack thereof) is what I'm getting at.

turbo cars once boost builds will do that B) instead of a wheelie or wheelstand at launch they will stand up later.

Romell, i have to agree here with Cato, you should have either posted the link or at a very least given credit to who wrote that information. by posting it the way you did it makes it look like it was your writing/work. ;)

Oh I totally understand that Dave , attribute that to human error or imperfection but know that in no way was I even intending to give the impression that i wrote it, And I started to discredit myself when the first comment came in about it. but who whould expect people to get so bent outta shape behind a posting. But then I guess I forgot about the history of some of the members here. I think some people scan the forums trying to find something to complaine about. and this is where most of our troubles come from. And know that if this builds up to anything thing more than what it is right now I will lock the topic. Please let this be the end of it. Romell

But then I guess I forgot about the history of some of the members here. I think some people scan the forums trying to find something to complaine about. and this is where most of our troubles come from. And know that if this builds up to anything thing more than what it is right now I will lock the topic. Please let this be the end of it. Romell

I'm not one of those who scan to complain. Don't generalize-research.

So the answer to my question is, it is forum rule to attribute a source.

Your clarification is accepted. If you're embarrassed by your action then lock it.

just a thought and suggestion Romell ;)

go back and edit your original post with either a link to the information you posted or quote it and give credit to the writer.

as a moderator here you and the other Moderators are supposed to be setting the best examples. i know it may seem petty to you but i think Cato and a few others may just be trying to hold you to that standard.

Will do, consider it done.

Then hold him or anyone for that matter to the standard, it doesn't need the continual nagging on the subject. Please the guy was just trying to provide insight to those that may not be aware of Pro Mods.

thank you Bart!