Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hawk Midget Replica in Brass

Art Laski

Really looking good, I didn't notice if you have an upright in the chassis for a panhard bar on the front axle yet, also have you tried using small alligator clips for heat sinks to keep from unsoldering previous work? Perfect used to make some small aluminum heat sinks that worked like alligator clips just for this but I'm not sure if they still produce them, you can check with a hobby shop that does a lot of aircraft work, also Radio Shack sells some, along with Micro-Mark. The engine in the diecast is supposed to be an Ed Pink engine that used a 460 Ford based cylinder head, you might find someone with the Monogram F-350 truck kit that might have a stock Ford valve cover, that kit is 1/24 scale and has a 460 in it. Keep going you're doing a great job, keeping us all drooling waiting for your updates.

Really looking good, I didn't notice if you have an upright in the chassis for a panhard bar on the front axle yet, also have you tried using small alligator clips for heat sinks to keep from unsoldering previous work? Perfect used to make some small aluminum heat sinks that worked like alligator clips just for this but I'm not sure if they still produce them, you can check with a hobby shop that does a lot of aircraft work, also Radio Shack sells some, along with Micro-Mark. The engine in the diecast is supposed to be an Ed Pink engine that used a 460 Ford based cylinder head, you might find someone with the Monogram F-350 truck kit that might have a stock Ford valve cover, that kit is 1/24 scale and has a 460 in it. Keep going you're doing a great job, keeping us all drooling waiting for your updates.

Del,

I really appreciate you looking in and commenting. I haven't had any real trouble with unsoldering, but just in case I do have a big bag of alligator clips on hand for just that purpose.

You're right about the engine, except instead of being built by Ed Pink, this one was built by Lee Brayton originally (rebuilt by my dad), and is based on a Fontana block. I looked around a bit, but I don't think I'm going to do much better that the die cast motor. It's pretty close, although I will be putting a Ford valve cover on it that matches my brother's car that I sourced from a NASCAR kit.

Regarding the panhard bar, it will be located to the bar I need to fabricate still for the right front shock upright, hopefully in the next day or two. You can see it in this pic:

CopyofHawkMidget004-vi.jpg

Thanks again for looking, Del, and all feedback is welcome.

-Art

Edited by Art Laski

I may be off, but is Brayton the builder that based their motor on the Mercury Marine 470 block that used the Ford 460 head on a custom made block that used GM distributor mounts and drives, and the small 2.8. V6 bellhousing bolt pattern, but the stock block was special made for Mercruiser out drives, we built one of these for a class of pro four late models that the rules said any four cylinder production engine, after the first practice day the rules changed to any production automotive engine, this thing was a torque monster and it wasn't uncommon for one to smoke a big block Chevy.Ford, or even a 455 Olds powered jet boat.I was a certified mercury marine mechanic and what the general public didn't know was the 470 designation stood for four cylinders of 70 cubic inches each, imagine a 280 cubic inch four cylinder breathing through the 460 Ford cylinder head, with a switch to an aluminum head and ports you could throw a cat down these things were giant killers.

One of the other trick thing these engines employ is an alternator that mounts behind the water pump pulley and requires nothing but a crank to water pump drive belt for a reliable low drag alternator, they're getting popular for street rods and some late models now.

Edited by horsepower

I may be off, but is Brayton the builder that based their motor on the Mercury Marine 470 block that used the Ford 460 head on a custom made block that used GM distributor mounts and drives, and the small 2.8. V6 bellhousing bolt pattern, but the stock block was special made for Mercruiser out drives, we built one of these for a class of pro four late models that the rules said any four cylinder production engine, after the first practice day the rules changed to any production automotive engine, this thing was a torque monster and it wasn't uncommon for one to smoke a big block Chevy.Ford, or even a 455 Olds powered jet boat.I was a certified mercury marine mechanic and what the general public didn't know was the 470 designation stood for four cylinders of 70 cubic inches each, imagine a 280 cubic inch four cylinder breathing through the 460 Ford cylinder head, with a switch to an aluminum head and ports you could throw a cat down these things were giant killers.

One of the other trick thing these engines employ is an alternator that mounts behind the water pump pulley and requires nothing but a crank to water pump drive belt for a reliable low drag alternator, they're getting popular for street rods and some late models now.

Del,

I would have no knowledge of that, but it sounds pretty cool!

-Art

Hi Art,

Your knowledge---from a 40 Willy's-to-now a Midget racer in brass no less---is quite impressive. Much continued success.

Ron

Thanks, Ron!

Art,

Your midget project reminds me of one I started a good 30 years ago, also in brass: 1:25 scale Higman Midget chassis. Need to dig that one out again!

Art

Man, Art, I would love to see that! Bob Higman's #55 that Kenny Schrader used to drive was a one of my favorite cars in it's era. My family knew Bob a little bit. When my stopmom's dad sold Halibrand Engineering, Bob ended up with the rights to the midget division.

Hello Art,

That is simply beautiful craftmanship !!!!

Randy

Fantastic update Art. You and Randy D. have us all drooling over your fabrication skills. And the best part is that there's more to come. :) Cheers, Tim

Randy/Tim,

To see what you guys are doing and then get affirmation like this from you both is really inspiring. Thanks for watching and commenting. It keeps me going...