Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Trabant 601s

GeeBee

That looks very nice, Geoff. And I'm starting to think the kit may be more complex than the real car.

For curiosity's sake, have you found a paint chip set for Trabants anywhere? For those of us Stateside, it would be helpful for painting and detailing.

Charlie Larkin

That looks very nice, Geoff. And I'm starting to think the kit may be more complex than the real car.

For curiosity's sake, have you found a paint chip set for Trabants anywhere? For those of us Stateside, it would be helpful for painting and detailing.

Charlie Larkin

Plenty of info' on colour here,

http://www.trabant-original.de/otdbx/ColorDB_view.php

have a look at this video, there's quite a bit that goes into making a Trabant (or there was)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EBxpD9iRPE

If you can't get Trabant paint mixed up, some of the shades are compatible with the RAL codes, there's not many auto paint stores that can't mix RAL shades

Cliff Green = RAL 6018

Pebble Grey = RAL 7032

Champagne Beige = RAL 1024

Papyrus White (Actually Grey) = RAL 9018

also Glacier blue is a pretty close match to Fiat 401 Glicine Blue

Hope this helps anyone who wants to paint the model Trabant in original colours

Between working on the Universal, and getting the flocking done on this one, I finished the day by starting to fit the road wheels, one thing I hate on a model is seeing the wheels fitted out of line, so I always use a square when fitting wheels to my models

2015-01-07171326_zpsc2eacb14.jpg

Between working on the Universal, and getting the flocking done on this one, I finished the day by starting to fit the road wheels, one thing I hate on a model is seeing the wheels fitted out of line, so I always use a square when fitting wheels to my models

Never seen it done like this, very good idea..

Nice flocking Geoff... I wasn't sure if a Trabbie had carpet. With the bare bones utility it has, I'd assume it had rubber mats

The Trabbi certainly had carpet fitted, well the 601S did, S for Special equipment,

060366_interior1_zpscmuyvaq5.jpg

Edited by GeeBee

I've been watching this build and fully enjoying it.

And I've reached a conclusion, Geoff .. I believe the quality of your build far surpasses the build quality of the 1:1 ! :)

If the real Trabants were built as slow as this, and with all the little details I like to put into a build, they would have figured out long before 1991 that they were uneconomical to build anymore ....

There was a 10 year waiting list for a new Trabant as it was.

Talk about a captive audience... :lol:

If you couldn't afford a Trabant you had to make do with an MZ motorbike, if you were well off you could buy a Wartburg, all three had 2 stroke engines

Parcel shelf flocked

2015-01-09210144_zps8ee301e9.jpg

Edited by GeeBee

Fantastic job on the interior so far my friend.

Cheer's Jim, I'm really enjoying this build, infact I have a lot of fun with all the other Revell kits I've built lately, Mini Cooper, VW Beetle, I really need to get round to doing one of there Citroen 2CV kits.