Model Cars Magazine Forum

SCREAMING YELLOW ZONKER

GrandpaMcGurk

Dog gone it Brad......now I can't get that tune outta my head!

Oh well, back to the Zonker.

As you can see in the photo the 1/6th die cast metal heads and plastic valve covers are way too big for this odd ball size heater. 1/8th parts are too small.

Azhead001.jpg

I didn't want to cut down the metal heads as they would add more weight to an already hefty engine........here's what I came up with.

I traced the bottom and top of the 1/6th head onto a piece of paper, reduced it on the 'puter and used the reduced copy as a pattern.

Azhead002.jpg

I cut the pieces from 0.20 sheet styrene.

Azhead004.jpg

Cutting down this valve cover was a pain in the butt because of all the compound curves and indentations but here's what I wound up with.....still need to drill the plug holes and add the cover bolts. The textured paint is just the base coat, I'll be painting them flat black to simulate a "wrinkle" paint finish.

Anyone interested in seeing how it was cut down and assembled......if so I'll post pics of the other side as I do it.

Azhead013.jpg

Azhead014.jpg

Azhead016.jpg

Ol' school cork valve cover gaskets and fuel proof carb gasket material just for good measure....

AZbones003.jpg

AZbones004.jpg

Coil and water hoses have been added...now I have to do hose clamps....man, it just never ends, mumble, mumble, moan & groan and so forth.

Just kidding, I'm having a blast building this thing...thanks for the inspiration Ira.

You know, there's been a lot of chatter about folks on evil bay having more money than sense, so just for giggles...when this thing is done, I'm considering listing it with a stupid price just to see what happens........should be interesting don't you think?