Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '90 Mustang LX 5.0 2'n1 Special Edition

Casey

179-vi.jpg

Box art was created using the built-up test shots shown here. I doubt whoever who built it (on a tight deadline, I'm sure) was an SSP Mustang expert.

Box art and decal art were most likely created at the by the same artist. No need waiting for decals to print just so you can use production decals on a box art build. 'Shop 'em on and get that sucker on the shelves!!!

Edited by Brett Barrow

Yeah, that is a pretty poor representation of a CHP Mustang. As long as the rest of the kit doesn't fall victim to sloppy research it will be nice to have. CHP decals are pretty easy to source and the other mistakes (light bar, red / blue grill lights) are simply fixed by just not using them.

I'm looking forward to this kit.

Drop that bar on the box and source a Vision bar, but only for a few. 90(+)% were slick tops. I'm concerned that no spot lamps are indicated but lets see what comes in the kit (I'm going to get at least 2). Also drop the idea of there ever being a CHP K-9 Mustang (honestly?) I had one assigned to me for about 2-3 years. Lots of fun to drive but don't ever get let one side be on wet pavement and the other on dry-swap ends at a thought.

Steve, it can be completely dry pavement and it will still swap ends on you! All you have to do is be on stock tires and get aggressive with the throttle and it becomes 'HELLO TAILLIGHTS'!

Oh, don't I friggin' know it - my '93 LX bit me on more than one occasion. One time I let my ex drive it, about a tinkle's worth of water on the ground had her shrieking in panic as she gently squeezed the throttle around a corner.

Seriously. The water she lost in that 90-degree spin was about three times what there was outside.

Oh, don't I friggin' know it - my '93 LX bit me on more than one occasion. One time I let my ex drive it, about a tinkle's worth of water on the ground had her shrieking in panic as she gently squeezed the throttle around a corner.

Seriously. The water she lost in that 90-degree spin was about three times what there was outside.

They're a REAL hoot on wet grass, too. Years ago a friend of mine asked what 'doing a donut' meant, and I was more than happy to demonstrate on the rain soaked grass. If the yard had been a bit larger I'd have shown her an example of a powerslide as well. :rolleyes: That was a GT hatch, but still.

It does not appear its going to have a spotlight , I dont see a clear lense on the clear parts trees, but there is what could be something close to a spotlight on the parts tree that has the light bar and the wheels, chrome parts tree , not holding my breathe that its going to come with one

Another minor quibble would be that at least a plurality of the SSP Mustangs were Automatics. It's probably pretty close to a 50/50 split in 1990, that leaned more and more towards automatics towards the end of the run. Simply because it's a bit of a juggling act to drive a stick while running the sirens and operating the radio(s).

Obviously Revell did the 5 speed for the simple reason that other versions of this kit (and for a stock LX) nobody wants an automatic in a Mustang! ;)

And that is where the Revell 32 Ford kits would come in. They are 1/25th, already have a FOX double-hump pan, and it is cast with the AOD/AODE in place. just swap all of this kits upper end parts onto that casting and you have the drivetrain. As for the interior shift handle, since they were basically an offset 'T' handle with a slight bend in the downshaft.............easy scratchbuild project.

My at-the-time friend Deans car was a stick (1993 Troop K FHP) and that was still an active duty car. He used to provide Friday-Saturday night security at the shopping center I worked at.

It does not appear its going to have a spotlight , I dont see a clear lense on the clear parts trees, but there is what could be something close to a spotlight on the parts tree that has the light bar and the wheels, chrome parts tree , not holding my breathe that its going to come with one

And that is where the Revell 32 Ford kits would come in. They are 1/25th, already have a FOX double-hump pan, and it is cast with the AOD/AODE in place. just swap all of this kits upper end parts onto that casting and you have the drivetrain. As for the interior shift handle, since they were basically an offset 'T' handle with a slight bend in the downshaft.............easy scratchbuild project.

My at-the-time friend Deans car was a stick (1993 Troop K FHP) and that was still an active duty car. He used to provide Friday-Saturday night security at the shopping center I worked at.

That's a spotlight on the light bar tree. And there are back window mounted flashers on the radio sprue.

Plenty of those automatic engine blocks floating around out there in peoples' parts boxes, shouldnt be too hard to get one if one needs one.

Swapping in that AOD presumes that they aren't 10 miles apart in size like the Hemis in Magnum & Challenger.

Besides it was a "in a perfect world" quibble. This is one I can actually side with the old "I'm a modeler, I can fix it" position. There's already a boat-load of fabricating just to make a correct CHP car (of either variant - with lights or without) sawing off the tranny is the easiest part.

What Lightbar is that suppose to be??

Not a Twin-Sonic with the Boxes for light elements.

I like that the Bar is to be chrome, but would liker the rotators, etc

that are inside the clear caps to be separate parts.

Not something I can't fix. I have done so many times on MPC's similar lightbar.

I am glad to see the caps clear. Only need the 2 instead of more. and can tint them any color

or leave them clear and tint the parts inside.

Another minor quibble would be that at least a plurality of the SSP Mustangs were Automatics. It's probably pretty close to a 50/50 split in 1990, that leaned more and more towards automatics towards the end of the run. Simply because it's a bit of a juggling act to drive a stick while running the sirens and operating the radio(s).

Obviously Revell did the 5 speed for the simple reason that other versions of this kit (and for a stock LX) nobody wants an automatic in a Mustang! ;)

I never saw an automatic in all the years the CHP had Mustangs ('82 until the last were run-out in about 1995). Yes, running a pursuit-what those things were originally bought for-required 3 hands for steering, shifting, radioing. I used to wrap the microphone around the rear view mirror so I wouldn't have to reach for it. The Jurassic age suspension also made things dicey in curves-especially fast, sweeping, uneven (expansion strips) freeway surfaces. Get the rear end bouncing in a curve and it just kept wanting to bring that end around. :blink:

The spotlamps on the front were always black except where paint wore off, underneath was an aged brass color. I can't tell by the box photos but if you do a slick top you'll need either a light stick in the rear window OR 3 hemispherical lamps for the deck lights. I looks like aftermarket/spares box for sure. The seats look good but I wonder if you can source a Kool Cushion about like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Standard-60-2317-05-Ventilated-Cushion-Black/dp/B0002KKSEG

Having a 30" inseam I always needed a bit of a boost forward.

Do you guys see anything like these in the sprues? I didn't. The first one was from a Mustang.

CHP radio before 1992

CHPradiobefore1992_zps66f48c29.jpg

CHP radio after 1992 (I know the title says 1987 but I never saw one in the field until 1992)

CHPradioafter1992_zps764cf85c.jpg

RE: nobody wanting an automatic-I'm hoping to buy a new one soon but I have a wife who cannot drive a stick. And I don't want to end 32 years together in a effort to teach her. So, its got to be a slush box. :(

Edited by The Junkman

I am hoping the issue in this kit is about the same size as the 32 kits, and judging by the Monogram 1994-95 Mustang kits (also 5.0L/T-5 cars) the block is the same dimensions as the roadster kits. If that is so, that means at least THOSE kits were in the same 1/25th scale 'scale'. If these new 90LXs are even remotely close, we have a swap willer for the auto trans.

Now, being I am one of 'those' guys, I see myself converting one to a single-exhaust and using the block and trans bellhousing (with some bit of mods) from the old MPC 2.3L engine backed by either the 94-95 Monogram T-5 trans or the 32 Coupes AOD. Yup, go complete utilitarian and swap the 4 cylinder down into it (I know it will require some scratch-built parts, but the basics are there).

What Lightbar is that suppose to be??

Not a Twin-Sonic with the Boxes for light elements.

I like that the Bar is to be chrome, but would liker the rotators, etc

that are inside the clear caps to be separate parts.

Not something I can't fix. I have done so many times on MPC's similar lightbar.

I am glad to see the caps clear. Only need the 2 instead of more. and can tint them any color

or leave them clear and tint the parts inside.

It looks to me a generic attempt at a Code 3 Force 4LP bar. That'd be correct for Kansas and a few other departments. I've come to accept over the years that be it $$$, licensing, poor research, our just figuring police modelers will simply fall all over the idea of even being "catered to" no model company is ever going to produce accurate emergency lighting. Lindberg came closest with their Vector/Vision but it had no mounting feet, it just free floated on the roof - the police version of the bracketless alternator.

Fortunately the Chimneyville series of decals is right from the end of the Mustang era and Dave Panek specializes in the lights used during the time to, so I don't believe there's any of the 33 departments that used this car that can't be reproduced relatively "easily".

Now Revell, how about a B4C Camaro, it could piggie-back a new tool late 80's/early 90's car. One without the seemingly mandatory T-Tops of the AMT/MPC offerings.

Dave Panek specializes in the lights used during the time to, so I don't believe there's any of the 33 departments that used this car that can't be reproduced relatively "easily".

His lightbars sell for $15, or did a year ago, give or take a few months past the year mark