Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shelby GT 500

DarylH

I sat in a new Shelby GT 500 and the local dealership and fell in lust.

The new Jada kit looks good to me so the search was on for Shelby wheels. The closest I've found are in a Maisto diecast of a Toyota Celica tuner. Tire sidewalls were too thin for the Shelby but a Maisto '06 Mustang diecast had some beefier tires that fit the wheels so this is what I've settled on......

DSC05271-vi.jpg

Stripped and repainted with Alclad polished aluminum should get me close to this........

Shelby-GT500-Red-Stripe.jpg

Well Daryl, looks like a good start. You are the 1st person I have ever encountered using that phrase "fell in lust" other than me...I even used it this morning in a conversation and got the usual strange look.

I am a lifelong Ford guy and grew up around sports car racing when Shelby Mustangs were stomping the competition. I am surprised how many of the GT 500s I see on the street. I guess they are building more than they originally announced.

Those wheels ARE a pretty good representation. The Jada miniatures are pretty cool, but have always been too much of a caricature for my taste. When I saw they were doing a GT500, I thought it was a shame they wouldn't do it right. When I saw the build on here the other day (can't remember off the top of my head by whom), I was surprised at how good it's proportions looked. I may just have to have one...though I can't build a stock one...It HAS to be a racer...

Which brings me back around to your avatar...great looking McLeagle! Fisher kit? Can we take this to the side and discuss it?

Richard

Well Daryl, looks like a good start. You are the 1st person I have ever encountered using that phrase "fell in lust" other than me...I even used it this morning in a conversation and got the usual strange look.

I am a lifelong Ford guy and grew up around sports car racing when Shelby Mustangs were stomping the competition. I am surprised how many of the GT 500s I see on the street. I guess they are building more than they originally announced.

Those wheels ARE a pretty good representation. The Jada miniatures are pretty cool, but have always been too much of a caricature for my taste. When I saw they were doing a GT500, I thought it was a shame they wouldn't do it right. When I saw the build on here the other day (can't remember off the top of my head by whom), I was surprised at how good it's proportions looked. I may just have to have one...though I can't build a stock one...It HAS to be a racer...

Which brings me back around to your avatar...great looking McLeagle! Fisher kit? Can we take this to the side and discuss it?

Richard

Thanks Richard.

I took my new Mustang convertible into the local dealership in this little farm town to get a spare key programmed so I went into the showroom and was stunned to see a GT 500 on display. Classic Guards blue with wide white stripes.....just gorgeous :) I slid in behind the wheel and I don't believe I've been that comfortable since I left mama's womb. I checked the board that night and saw Bob Downie's Jada Shelby and knew what I had to do.

Correct on the McLeagle. I took a Fisher M6B kit and added the wheels and engine intake from the MPC Gurney Eagle Indy car. The Wheels were a drop in fit to the Fisher resin tires. Gurney blue paint from BSR and decals from Fred Cady finished it off.

DSC00452-vi.jpg