Model Cars Magazine Forum

Homie Diorama

Hollywood Jim

OK, here is the story behind this build. At the 2011 GSL Scale Vehicle Championship and Convention in Salt Lake City I was putting on a diorama building seminar. During the seminar I said that most Homie figures should not be used for dioramas because the proportions of most of these characters are out of scale. They are primarily cartoon figures.

I have found a couple of Homie figures that are in scale and not cartoonish. However, like I said most of them are not good for dioramas. Well, as it turned out one of the seminar attendees had entered a diorama in the contest that had several Homie figures in it. Oops, how embarrassing! The attendee was very gracious and we both had a good conversation. For my penance, this attendee gave me a Homie figure and challenged me to build a diorama using this figure. And have it finished by the next GSL event.

So this thread will be my attempt to build that diorama and have it finished by this coming April 2013. Actually, I hope to make quick work of this and finish it in the next couple of months.

Here is the figure I was given:

A-vi.jpg

So now I have to figure out what to do with it.

Of course it is somewhat out of scale and cartoonish for 1/25th scale.

Here he is standing next to a 3” (6 foot) 1/25th scale figure:

aa-vi.jpg

The upper part of his body seems to be in scale and not so cartoonish.

One of my friends suggested that I modify him below the waist like this:

ab-vi.jpg

Edited by Hollywood Jim

I decided to go with some sort of circus theme. So I need some clowns. I found these clown figures on EBay.

They should work OK, they are supposed to be about 3 inches tall.

ai-vi.jpg

While waiting for the clowns to come in the mail, I think I'll build a clown car.

Here are some pictures I found for ideas.

an-vi.jpg

ao-vi.jpg

I'm going to use this kit.

aoa-vi.jpg

I have a new casting of this kit (with no box) from Stevens International.

I want to make a clown car like the ones used in a circus. Where like 20 clowns are stuffed into the car and they keep coming out, as though it's impossible that they could have all been in the car.

So I decided to use this kit instead:

aoaa-vi.png

Here is my work so far. I want an altered wheel base so it can easily do wheelies.

ap-vi.jpg

I think I like these wheels, below, better.

aq-vi.jpg

I got a little sidetracked today. I decided if I have clowns, then I need a unicycle !

So I built one.

I used the chain drive from an old 1/24th scale motorcycle.

And I used the wheels from this motorcycle. I hated to tear up this very nice old motorcycle, but oh well.

aq1-vi.jpg

Here is the finished unicycle.

aq2-vi.jpg

Here Ralph is trying to figure out what he is looking at. What is tarnation is this thing?

I don't think he will be able to figure it out.

aq3-vi.jpg

Then bob tries to explain to Ralph that it's a one wheel bicycle for clowns.

Ralph says "Yeah, ya gotta be a real clown to ride one of those".

aq4-vi.jpg